Author Topic: [ENDED] Sperry RJ11 board, neat keys, real cheap  (Read 2907 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
[ENDED] Sperry RJ11 board, neat keys, real cheap
« on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:46:31 »
SPERRY KEYBOARD RJ11 PLUG MAX1120

Think these are Cherrys? It could use some brightening, but it's currently at just $20 w/free shipping, and them's some fun keys. Imagine being able to make the FCC appear and disappear whenever you pleased, for example.

Of course many of them are strange widths. I thought I'd better acknowledge that before one of you pointed it out. Okay then.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 October 2017, 17:07:45 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline juryduty

Re: Sperry RJ11 board, neat keys, real cheap
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 21:36:11 »
Looks a lot like this one which is Keytronic but there are a few slight differences.  The enter key is smaller on the one here.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 00:57:49 »
Not sure if Key Tronic. It says it was made in Taiwan, can't recall off the top of my head if KT had a plant there.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 10:46:39 »
A Sperry computer was almost my first computer.  My dad worked at Sperry at the time and he had a co-worker that had a computer and wanted me to come with him to check it out.  I believe it must have been running CP/M as I recall it being DOS-like.  It was a green screen monitor and just text.  We ended up not going with a Sperry and got a Commodore 64 a few years later.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 19:21:11 »
A Sperry computer was almost my first computer.  My dad worked at Sperry at the time and he had a co-worker that had a computer and wanted me to come with him to check it out.  I believe it must have been running CP/M as I recall it being DOS-like.  It was a green screen monitor and just text.  We ended up not going with a Sperry and got a Commodore 64 a few years later.

It's just as well. If you had gotten the Sperry, your computing experience would've been considerably different, and you might not be here gabbing with us today. That's usually how these things work.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 23:20:27 »

It's just as well. If you had gotten the Sperry, your computing experience would've been considerably different, and you might not be here gabbing with us today. That's usually how these things work.
I think ultimately it would have led me to the same place as the Commodore experience was just mainly with games with word processing coming at the tail end of that machine's daily usage.  Once I jumped into the IBM world, it opened up a whole new world.  Having to work around the limitations of the IBM PS/2 30-286 made me learn a heck of a lot, and I can't wait to put that machine back in use--we ultimately upgraded it to the point it had almost 250MB of hard drive space as well as being SCSI and the CPU was a 486SLC.  And we still have the numerous coprocessors we bought for it (remember those?).  Good times down memory lane... :thumb: