Author Topic: [eBay] Blank Topre Key Caps!  (Read 5013 times)

Offline 47thieves

[eBay] Blank Topre Key Caps!
« on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 00:00:20 »
Yo,

Not sure about some of you out there but I have personally been finding it so hard to come across any PBT Blank Topre key caps.

Did a simple search in eBay today and found this link here: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Topre-Realforce-HHKB-Fc660c-Blank-PBT-Keycap-Key-caps-For-Capacitive-Keyboards/152722258630?hash=item238ef4bac6:m:mcw8j3VO-lC0yTBroJsnjDA

I did just order a pink set, if you're skeptical, I'm happy to post a short review once I get them in as this could go either way. When that will be I am unsure of as I live in Australia and this is coming from Hong Kong - could take some time.
POK3R MX Cherry Clear

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

HHKB Pro 2

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: [eBay] Blank Topre Key Caps!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 01:04:41 »
Interesting, that’s not the actual green topre caps. My guess is the seller is dyeing caps to sell.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 01:14:07 »
looks like the same topre blanks they sell on https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/
i quite like the ones i had, i wish they would make the brilliant white ones tbh.
and they aren't dyed. fyi.

Offline 47thieves

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 02:29:16 »
Yeah true! I guess we will find out - will keep all posted to see what this particular seller delivers. I just have no luck finding any blank topre keys these days so doesn't take me to get me excited lol.
POK3R MX Cherry Clear

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

HHKB Pro 2

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 05:08:40 »
yeah these are just the kbdfans ones

definitely the best feeling aftermarket topre caps you can get, second only to oem topre keys imo

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 14:01:02 »
looks like the same topre blanks they sell on https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/
i quite like the ones i had, i wish they would make the brilliant white ones tbh.
and they aren't dyed. fyi.

Thanks for the link, never knew they existed

Offline daskeybo

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 15:29:48 »
They make full sets?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 21:22:00 »
I never really got the blank-key thing. You're not supposed to look at your fingers when you type anyway, right? So why would it matter if they have legends or not? Are you worried that you'll cheat and look down?

If so, it's really more of a self-discipline thing, isn't it? We can't go through life removing everything that tempt us because we're worried we'll give in to them. Character comes from discipline, not removing one's options to avoid temptation.

(And BTW, these aren't caps but keys. Caps are the upper part of two-piece IBM keys, which consist of caps and stems—that's why they created the extra term.)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 22:06:18 »
I never really got the blank-key thing. You're not supposed to look at your fingers when you type anyway, right? So why would it matter if they have legends or not? Are you worried that you'll cheat and look down?

If so, it's really more of a self-discipline thing, isn't it? We can't go through life removing everything that tempt us because we're worried we'll give in to them. Character comes from discipline, not removing one's options to avoid temptation.

(And BTW, these aren't caps but keys. Caps are the upper part of two-piece IBM keys, which consist of caps and stems—that's why they created the extra term.)

almost purely aesthetics

unless you want to remap your layout to something like dvorak without having misleading legends

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 22:52:39 »
Aesthetics for sure but also show off to all your friends that you can touch-type and confuse the heck out of them when they try your keeb out.

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 02:49:50 »
almost purely aesthetics... unless you want to remap your layout to something like dvorak without having misleading legends

For what it's worth, I switched from QWERTY to Dvorak cold-turkey (that means diving right in, no toe-dipping) over 30 years ago, and just kept a little key diagram on hand for when I really needed it. I've used countless keebs since (we used to have to load a separate Dvorak driver from a floppy, heh—one job interviewer kicked me out because he thought I was giving them a virus) and never switched around any keys. They don't print note-names on piano keyboards either. You get it in your head; that's the whole idea.

Aesthetics for sure but also show off to all your friends that you can touch-type and confuse the heck out of them when they try your keeb out.

I'll buy that.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 19:39:45 »

It's just to make sure the unclean masses don't interfere with your keyboard when you're not there.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 02:21:39 »
It's just to make sure the unclean masses don't interfere with your keyboard when you're not there.

LOL. I can see how it could also convince your boss you were extra-productive because you were One With Your Machine.