Author Topic: [IC] GMK Taro (Tentative GB Date: 1/26/18)  (Read 37305 times)

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: [IC] GMK Taro (Tentative GB Date: 1/26/18)
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 21:34:53 »
Nice, I've been looking for a purple & black set :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline pwade3

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 06:46:06 »

Hey Switch, glad you like it, but to be 100% clear it is a dark purple, not black!

Hope that doesn't sway your opinion.  ;D

Offline Sugna

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 08:00:34 »

Hey Switch, glad you like it, but to be 100% clear it is a dark purple, not black!

:eek: It's dark purple??!?!?!?
Thanks for making me want to buy it even more!!!!!

Offline pwade3

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 09:25:50 »
Happy friday folks, here's a nice render to get ya through the day.  ;)

186287-0

No news atm, but Alex and I are working diligently to make this GB as awesome as possible.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 16:25:21 »
Happy friday folks, here's a nice render to get ya through the day.  ;)

(Attachment Link)

No news atm, but Alex and I are working diligently to make this GB as awesome as possible.

Yep, still looks dope af.  EU proxy pretty please. x

Offline dangboy

• yes
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 23:04:14 »
100% in on this, from the moment I saw the cw.
Much hype.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 17:33:39 »

ohh nice :)

id actually prefer that since it's not as dark then.
should still match what i'd like to use with it too :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline pwade3

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 10:59:57 »
OP updated, but I'll sum it up here as well:

Mykeyboard and zFrontier are confirmed proxies!

Outragedpudding has designed an amazing sleeve for the set!

He also designed an awesome novelty that we're currently talking to GMK about what the best approach here is!

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:52:39 »
EU proxy praise the lord. 🙌

Still in love with this set.

Offline poolside

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 17:30:16 »

He also designed an awesome novelty that we're currently talking to GMK about what the best approach here is!

Show Image

Show Image

Juicy GB incoming  :cool:

No straw in the novelty?

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 12:14:09 »

You got me slightly moist, especially with the render followed up <3

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 13:13:44 »

Show Image

Show Image

Yes!!!!!!!!

Offline playtech1

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 14:48:41 »
This looks great!

Really love that you have UK compatibility without us Brits needing to also buy a shed-load of European letters!  (Nothing wrong with Euro letters of course, they are just a bit pricey in bulk!)

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 21:07:52 »
I made this comment on reddit, but I wouldn't stress it too much if the IC check has been around this long with no ortholinear fans speaking up yet. It is more a general request for future gmk sets:

"I know it's probably too late now, but IMHO GMK Laser had a pretty good way of offering an ortho kit: make a lot of it part of the base kit and make the rest of the keys available in the novelties kit. Most people get the novelties if they really like the set.

Currently there are very few keys missing for full ortho compatibility, like 1u shift, esc, enter, tab, lower, raise, backspace. Those last three keys can be novelties (e.g. one more R4 boba cup for lower!). All that's left is a 2u and 2x1u spacebars as part of the spacebar kit."
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 January 2018, 21:29:20 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 21:31:45 »
I made this comment on reddit, but I wouldn't stress it too much if the IC check has been around this long with no ortholinear fans speaking up yet. It is more a general request for future gmk sets:

"I know it's probably too late now, but IMHO GMK Laser had a pretty good way of offering an ortho kit: make a lot of it part of the base kit and make the rest of the keys available in the novelties kit. Most people get the novelties if they really like the set.

Currently there are very few keys missing for full ortho compatibility, like 1u shift, esc, enter, tab, lower, raise, backspace. Those last three keys can be novelties (e.g. one more R4 boba cup for lower!)

All that's left is a 2u and 2x1u spacebars as part of the spacebar kit."

That's at least $10 (prob $15-20) more in keys tho. Especially at lower moq. MD sales aren't really comparable to anywhere else. The MD novelties made it from $75 (100 moq) to $35 (1500 moq). Especially on a kit like laser, they can afford to add a few more keys.

It's hard to justify with a less hyped kit like this given how tough it is in general for custom color kits to hit moq. If anything, I'd say offer vertical strips of blanks, like R1,R1,R2,R3,R4,R4 sets. I'd totally buy 1-2 just to have some blanks, but then people with orthos and other odd layouts could buy multiple to cover their boards. I imagine you would even see some people buying enough to cover an entire ortho.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 22:36:28 »
Yeah adding $20 to the cost per base set would be too much. Not to mention there aren't too many olkb fans that want to pay full price for a GMK set when all they want are a few keys.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 15:59:58 »

Currently there are very few keys missing for full ortho compatibility, like 1u shift, esc, enter, tab, lower, raise, backspace. Those last three keys can be novelties (e.g. one more R4 boba cup for lower!)

That's at least $10 (prob $15-20) more in keys tho. Especially at lower moq. MD sales aren't really comparable to anywhere else. The MD novelties made it from $75 (100 moq) to $35 (1500 moq). Especially on a kit like laser, they can afford to add a few more keys.

It's hard to justify with a less hyped kit like this given how tough it is in general for custom color kits to hit moq. If anything, I'd say offer vertical strips of blanks, like R1,R1,R2,R3,R4,R4 sets. I'd totally buy 1-2 just to have some blanks, but then people with orthos and other odd layouts could buy multiple to cover their boards. I imagine you would even see some people buying enough to cover an entire ortho.
Blanks would be a good option for ortho users. Even with an ortho kit with legends,  it’s difficult to satisfy everyone’s needs with so many different layout preferences and being cherry profile. For example, there might be a request to have an ESC key for each row.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 16:15:24 »

Blanks would be a good option for ortho users. Even with an ortho kit with legends,  it’s difficult to satisfy everyone’s needs with so many different layout preferences and being cherry profile. For example, there might be a request to have an ESC key for each row.

The main reason i think blanks are a good idea are they are cheaper and because there are people like me who don't use orthos that would still buy a few sets of blanks and help get to moq. An ortho kit would struggle.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 21:23:17 »

The main reason i think blanks are a good idea are they are cheaper and because there are people like me who don't use orthos that would still buy a few sets of blanks and help get to moq. An ortho kit would struggle.

Agreed. Also, on a 40% ortho specifically, I love using blanks. People are already "WTF-ing" at me for using a 40% so the added no legend keycaps blows their mind even more.

Offline smelons

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 13:18:22 »
Spacebar kit has 1.75u. Are those supposed to be 1.25u or are those just not displayed in the spacebar kit yet?

Offline dangboy

• yes
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:49:43 »
+1 on blanks.
Would definitely be in for 1 or 2 packs of blanks in this cw

Offline pwade3

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 16:17:32 »
Spacebar kit has 1.75u. Are those supposed to be 1.25u or are those just not displayed in the spacebar kit yet?

That will be updated soon, we've got a few kit updates from GMK that will be going into the OP as soon as we're ready.

Now as far as the current discussion of blanks, ortho, etc:

Basically, I opted to go with a level of coverage for smaller boards where you may not have proper legends, but the profiles should work. There's enough 1u keys to cover a planck, as well as a 2u R4 key (although it's not convex, but still).

Honestly, this is kind of where I find myself thinking "I'm not going to try to please everyone". This set has a pretty good amount of compatibility, at what I think is a pretty good price. Trying to add enough keys to make the compatibility much better is going to press into a price range that I simply don't want it at. I hope that isn't taken harshly, as I understand completely wanting proper legends, or even blanks, but I just don't see the benefits outweighing the costs here.

We're also trying to get out ducks in a row to hopefully be ready for GB on Friday, so trying to make kit changes and get adjusted price quotes is pretty cumbersome.

Offline Randalljai

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 16:53:18 »
The set is so pretty! I really like the colors. Excited to see what Keyforge does with the colors!

with you on that!

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 17:00:35 »
Not that anybody asked me, but if you want to talk about trying to hit the sweet spot on kit compat, size and price, imo pwade3 has really broken a sweat to make sure there is something for everyone. While he's right that you can't please all the people all the time, this is a good base set with a great price that offers a lot. Add in all the proxies we have lined up, and the extra items that are surrounding the GB, I anticipate this keyset roll-out being extremely well-oiled.

Still have great communication with GMK and the other players in this process, so expect great news around the corner!

Offline pwade3

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 11:56:46 »
Hey everyone, updated the OP with our official GMK renders, not quite as pretty, but I wanted everyone to see what's official.

In case y'all missed it, there's an awesome little novelty kit that really ties the theme together!

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 12:16:59 »
Love the novelties, this set just gets better and better!

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 18:51:09 »
can we get some novelties for enter key?

Offline pwade3

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 20:12:36 »
can we get some novelties for enter key?

Short answer, unfortunately not.

Long answer, I didn't really want a gigantic novelty kit that some sets have. Not that those are bad or anything, I just wanted something small that tied into the theme of the set but would still be pretty affordable.

Additionally, this would be a not inconsequential amount of work, we'd have to take the time to get a design done, pass it onto GMK, and wait for renders and pricing updates. We're pushing to be able to go live this Friday, and that sort of process would be in direct opposition to that goal.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 20:20:02 »
Really happy about the two R4 boba cup novelties. Lower and Raise baby!

Offline pwade3

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 20:50:38 »
Really happy about the two R4 boba cup novelties. Lower and Raise baby!

I know it's not the perfect ortho addition, but I'm glad you like it  ;D

Also cool for 7u spacebar peeps.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 21:03:02 »
Hey everyone, updated the OP with our official GMK renders, not quite as pretty, but I wanted everyone to see what's official.

In case y'all missed it, there's an awesome little novelty kit that really ties the theme together!

Show Image

I’m happy with these. I can use them instead of those ‘Code’ keycaps! Fantastic idea.  :thumb:

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 21:39:00 »
Glad the boba cup novelties made it, excited for this to drop!

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 19:49:15 »
I'm ready. Gimme that purp.

Offline chaseyeh0721

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 01:07:45 »
Hi, can you make 1.25U FN as R4 to support Leopold FC980M? Thanks.

Offline dangboy

• yes
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 01:24:11 »
Gimme that damn purp. Super hype

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 01:31:40 »
Hi, can you make 1.25U FN as R4 to support Leopold FC980M? Thanks.

yeah i have no idea why that one is r3, no layout i can think of (40%?) uses an fn key in r3
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tylernm

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 02:15:24 »
Bring on the purp!  These look great

Offline Ricinco

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 06:23:42 »
yeah i have no idea why that one is r3, no layout i can think of (40%?) uses an fn key in r3

Pretty sure it's for the minivan, GMK 80s kid has the same r3 fn.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 12:34:11 »

Below are layouts that utilize an r3 1.25u key:

Unsure if you are referring to the strict Function purpose, but since there is a group of users who do not use Tab in that location, using Fn seems like a good middle ground.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 12:49:53 »
I use Fn in the Tab location on my Minivan. The key is Tab if I tap it and Fn if I hold it.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 13:46:46 »

Below are layouts that utilize an r3 1.25u key:

Show Image

Unsure if you are referring to the strict Function purpose, but since there is a group of users who do not use Tab in that location, using Fn seems like a good middle ground.

:thumb: I didn't even notice it. 1.25u row 3 Fn should be great news for 40%. Mine uses a row 4 1.25u modifier which is slightly higher.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 17:03:48 »
just waiting patiently....
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline pwade3

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 17:46:09 »
Live:

http://www.panc.co/gmk-taro-group-buy-page.html

EU Proxy: https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/group-buys/gmk-taro_40/

Thanks for the post, only reason I hadn't yet is cause I was waiting for the GH thread to get approved. Didn't want to potentially be subverting rules.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 18:02:52 »
Live:

http://www.panc.co/gmk-taro-group-buy-page.html

EU Proxy: https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/group-buys/gmk-taro_40/

Thanks for the post, only reason I hadn't yet is cause I was waiting for the GH thread to get approved. Didn't want to potentially be subverting rules.

I figured you were waiting for approval. Dunno if I broke a rule but I'm on holiday drunk in France so I. Don't. Care.

In for base and spaces. Prayin for dat Garbo yo. ✌️

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 18:33:24 »
Will there be a spreadsheet to see our order or an email confirmation before it closes?

Offline pwade3

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 18:48:00 »
Will there be a spreadsheet to see our order or an email confirmation before it closes?

Hmm probably no on the spreadsheet since we're using real names, but email confirmation will likely be possible.

Offline umalip

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 20:20:58 »
So, I’m new to GH, and new to forum group buys (familiar with massdrop). How do I participate on this GB?  And what is the price?  150 for the set?  25 for the novelties?  So total 175?, plus 10 shipping for me in Texas, and what does “moq” stand for?

Offline pwade3

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 20:31:50 »
So, I’m new to GH, and new to forum group buys (familiar with massdrop). How do I participate on this GB?  And what is the price?  150 for the set?  25 for the novelties?  So total 175?, plus 10 shipping for me in Texas, and what does “moq” stand for?

So this is a little bit different from buys on massdrop.

So there's a form on panc.co that was linked above, you'll fill that out, then on February 16th at the end of the group buy period, we'll be sending out invoices via PayPal.

You're right that it will be $175 before shipping, but technically the base kit is $155 while novelties are $20.

MOQ stands for minimum order quantity, meaning the smallest number of kits that need to be sold in order for GMK to produce them.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 20:38:53 »

Hmm probably no on the spreadsheet since we're using real names, but email confirmation will likely be possible.

Email would be great. Just want to make sure y’all got my order.