Author Topic: What is the purpose of this search feature?  (Read 6034 times)

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
What is the purpose of this search feature?
« on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:36:23 »
Other than to infuriate me for ~4 seconds when I'm trying to find mildly insensitive kmiller8 copypasta to ****post with?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: What is the purpose of this search feature?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:44:01 »
Please don't search using the site search tool. It sucks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ageekhack.org%20search%20terms
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:55:53 »

If I'm doing some serious searching on a vintage board or something I always use google, but for looking up a user's account, the site search tool is good enough, usually

If I misspell or have a character out of place though, I always get snagged by this error. I'm just curious what it was intended for.. I imagine bot accounts of some kind?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:56:55 »

If I'm doing some serious searching on a vintage board or something I always use google, but for looking up a user's account, the site search tool is good enough, usually

If I misspell or have a character out of place though, I always get snagged by this error. I'm just curious what it was intended for.. I imagine bot accounts of some kind?

Oh, haha yeah.

I think it's for protectiona against bots, yes.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:59:11 »
Probably standard feature in the forum software to prevent DOS-ing.

BTW. The search feature in the corner searches only relative to the current web page: to search the entire forum you would have to go to the home page. To search a subforum, to the subforum's page etc.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:19:11 »

BTW. The search feature in the corner searches only relative to the current web page: to search the entire forum you would have to go to the home page. To search a subforum, to the subforum's page etc.

Thanks! I wonder how other sites protect against DOS-ing while not having this feature. Its not a big deal obviously, I kinda feel like a **** complaining about 5 seconds but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I did figure that out about the search tool somewhere along the way. It can be useful that way, especially for huge threads with hundreds of pages

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:21:00 »

Thanks! I wonder how other sites protect against DOS-ing while not having this feature. Its not a big deal obviously, I kinda feel like a **** complaining about 5 seconds but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I did figure that out about the search tool somewhere along the way. It can be useful that way, especially for huge threads with hundreds of pages

Even then it's still a pretty useless search without using browser word searching :'(

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:22:32 »

this is what i usually use
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:27:17 »

Even then it's still a pretty useless search without using browser word searching :'(

It is a pretty sad thing as there is so much TO look up on this site. At least there are some awesome members that contribute to keeping catalogs of many things one might be searching for  ;)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:34:00 »

It is a pretty sad thing as there is so much TO look up on this site. At least there are some awesome members that contribute to keeping catalogs of many things one might be searching for  ;)

Hopefully that isn't a massive hint :))

Catalogs are great but so much damn effort.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:40 »

Hopefully that isn't a massive hint :))

Catalogs are great but so much damn effort.

For some reason I had thought you helped with one or a few of the catalogs.. I may be mistaken. I know for sure Vesper, Juggs, dg, Jokrik, Bee, 64rky etc. all have and they're such great resources. Was just introduced to Bee's the other day, it looks the most thorough! keycap.info for anyone who hasn't seen