Author Topic: [Advice] Which Matias Quiet Click board?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline OrpheusX

[Advice] Which Matias Quiet Click board?
« on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 18:09:09 »
I just plunked down for a Tokyo60 but while I’m waiting for it I thought I’d broaden my horizons and try out some ALPS-like switches. I’m a cheap bastard, particularly when it relates to things I know little about so I figured I’d start looking at boards with the tactile Matias Quiet Click switches. I’m considering either the Matias Laptop Pro or the KBParadise V60.

My current collection consists of a 60% and (for some reason) two 75% keyboards so the form factor of the V60 is pretty familiar and comfortable. It’s a good bit cheaper at ~$109 from mechanicalkeyboards.com and it leaves open the possibility of replacing the case with something nicer in the future. Likewise I could also theoretically replace the switches with something else though if I end up really liking ALPS I might be fine with upping the budget and simply getting into the classics (Oranges, Blues, etc.)

The Matias is a much different beast compared to what I already have. This particular model has Bluetooth and a couple extra USB ports which is nice but hardly required for my needs. I'm kind of leaning towards this one actually despite it costing an extra $50 (again on mechanicalkeyboards.com.)

I’ve heard various things about reliability, key wobbliness, and ping but not enough to sway me either way. Neither seems to be known for their overall build quality. Buying now am I likely to get the less wobbly, retooled version of the switches? Anything I else I should consider in the decision?

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: [Advice] Which Matias Quiet Click board?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 18:19:19 »
I think the Matias Mini is a better board. I had a V80 and it would act a bit funky (lock lights getting stuck, creaky case)

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 23:51:35 »
I have a V80 with a TEX aluminum case. Other than having to replace a couple of bad Matias switches, the V80 has been flawless. I also own a Matias Tactile Pro and between the two, I much prefer the V80, after upgrading the case. 

It's true that the V80 with the stock plastic case is a little ho-hum.

Another thing to consider is that with a keyboard from Matias, you get lasered ABS keycaps. You can find a V80 or V60 with doubleshots.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 09:33:53 »
To add, the KBP V60/V80 allows for standard keysets so you can replace them with the various Tai Hao sets if desired. I have a Laptop Pro but the keys are already starting to get shiny and I haven't had it that long. I'd much prefer the V80 myself.

P.S. Since you've never used an Alps-like switch, do note that the Matias QC isn't that similar to any Alps switches that I know of. It has more of a rubber dome feel than it does a mechanical switch.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170