Author Topic: Bing Cashback Back For Ebay  (Read 29892 times)

Offline Half-Saint

IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
Bing Cashback Back For Ebay
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 07:01:43 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;190486
http://www.discoverbing.com/cashback/programupdate/index.html?fbid=73wWh-9x5BO&wom=true

I just got that too.   Oh well.....I didn't think it would last.

Offline tamasrepus

• http://blog.samat.org/
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 18:09:06 »
Just got an e-mail earlier today. Apparently, Microsoft has killed Bing Cashback:

Dear valued cashback customer:

We are writing to notify you that the Bing cashback program will be discontinued, and the last day to earn cash back on your Bing Shopping purchases will be July 30, 2010.

Until July 30, 2010 9:00 pm PST, it's business as usual so continue to take advantage of great offers from your favorite merchants. You can redeem all of your earned cashback savings consistent with the cashback terms and conditions and access the Bing cashback customer support system through July 30, 2011. We encourage you to redeem your cashback savings and to further support redemption, we are waiving the $5 minimum payout effective July 31, 2010. To assist with prompt delivery of your cashback earnings, please visit http://cashbackaccount.bing.com to ensure your account information is current. For more details and answers to your questions, please visit our frequently asked questions page.

Thank you very much for being a loyal cashback user.  We remain committed to delivering great value to our customers, and we are currently working on an exciting new program which you will hear more about from us later this summer.

Sincerely,

Bing cashback team
Noppoo Choc Mini w/ Cherry MX Brown
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Black w/labels
Topre Realforce 87U, 55g
ABS M1
Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite 2
Logitech diNovo Edge
Sun Type 6 USB

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 21:39:09 »
Bing is now a default search engine choice in Safari 5.

That's a really disappointing graph for Microsoft. All the belated Windows 7 upgrades was supposed to give them a massive boost in payola.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline shellyagal

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 11:53:38 »
I am a regular online frugal shopper and mostly use cash back portals like Bing, ShopAtHome, AAfter Search and Ebates.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 16:19:53 »
Tragedy!  Buy while you can, folks.

"Dear valued cashback customer:

We are writing to notify you that the Bing cashback program will be discontinued, and the last day to earn cash back on your Bing Shopping purchases will be July 30, 2010."

http://www.discoverbing.com/cashback/programupdate/index.html?fbid=KV1v1GavtLi&wom=false

Well, that also answers the question of how long can such a promotion continue realistically.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 16:29:59 »
Bing! Time's up Welly... and you're late by 2 weeks.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 16:57:19 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;195994
Bing! Time's up Welly... and you're late by 2 weeks.

lol, thats what i get for going to chicago ;) Just catching up with the rest of the world...

well I dont know which is a bigger tragedy, that bing is dying, or that I just ventured back into mechanicals... i bought a mech board... i'll probably regret it ;)  I definitely dont want to get sucked back into all the buying and the modding, but I think I can handle just one.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 18:22:51 »
Welly, you've fallen off the wagon.
-

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 18:43:44 »
"One won't hurt you."
"Everybody does it."
"You can quit any time."
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 20:43:47 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;196010
Welly, you've fallen off the wagon.

seriously. I'm very disappointed in myself.

"One won't hurt you."
"Everybody does it."
"You can quit any time."

haha i think thats how i got into this mess to begin with ;)

but really I have to hold the line at one... It was totally a shopping-therapy episode. I was too wiped out from chicago (spent 2 weeks relocating my mom who just retired). I was a good son (for 2 weeks anyway, lol). Since no one noticed, hell, I rewarded myself ;)  Just so happens I have everything else I need at the moment technology wise, so I got something I totally dont need right now, lol.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 10:46:20 »
glory hallelujah, bing is still alive.

i'm still getting the bing discount icon when i go to ebay VIA the bing.com website's search.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 01:23:54 »
Are Browns for real, or is it just misinterpreted Reds that people think look like Browns?
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 07:49:16 »
It's stupid that they killed Bing cashback.

Basically, a few years ago, there was a site called jellyfish.com. They figured that they could use affiliate linking to make a profit, take a cut off the top, and then give a check back to the consumer for some of the affiliate money. They also had cool "Smack Shows" where they'd have an unknown quantity of an item, and you'd watch the discount rise on the item. It was a game of chicken since you wouldn't know when there was only one left (or if there was more than one), so if you waited too long you'd forego any form of discount altogether. I almost got a PRS-500 in 2006 for $150...

Microsoft liked the concept and thought it would make Bing popular, so they implemented it.

Microsoft markets the concept, but not the engine. So Microsoft tries to increase usage through cashback promos where they pay out more cashback then they take in (MS did the same with the Xbox, and while that division is still deep in the hole, it has made a consistent quarterly profit for a couple years). The result is sites like SlickDeals and Fatwallet using it heavily, but consumers not even knowing about it.

So Microsoft moves the extra cashback links into ads within the Bing search (if you go to bing.com/cashback you may see 3% for Tiger Direct, but if you search "LCD TV" on bing instead you get 15%). Neat concept, but it just lead to people keyword scrapung regularly for extra cashback links.

Microsoft could have saved the program by marketing it better (a TV commercial where someone is enjoying their laptop, or watching their new plasma, and a guy from Microsoft shows up and hands them some cash. Simple, effective, memorable.) and stopping encouraging SlickDeals by making unprofitable promos (e.x. 30% off eBay and HP) that people would watch deal sites for and not use the search engine at all.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:14:39 »
bing is still working though... they havent turned off the spigot yet.

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:19:11 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202972
bing is still working though... they havent turned off the spigot yet.

It goes dark on July 30th.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:28:31 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;202974
It goes dark on July 30th.

oh, my mistake. I thought the cut off date was JUNE 30th.

damn, so i have 2 more weeks to buy all I can, lol.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:36:39 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;202910
Microsoft could have saved the program by marketing it better.

I'm still not sure how MS could make money at this even if it does get wildly popular. I wrote earlier in this thread about some possible strategic motivations, but I don't see a revenue model here.
-

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:37:22 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202980
so i have 2 more weeks to buy all I can, lol.

I'll decide on your next purchase for you Welly... a calendar.
-

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:40:23 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;202983
I'm still not sure how MS could make money at this even if it does get wildly popular. I wrote earlier in this thread about some possible strategic motivations, but I don't see a revenue model here.

Bing cashback is powered by affiliate links.
  • User logs into Bing Cashback and searches for something, uses the Bing Cashback link
  • Site sees affiliate is Bing CB
  • User completes purchase. Store gives MS cut of sale as affiliate. For our hypothetical, we'll say 8%.
  • MS takes some percentage for overhead.
  • The user gets whatever percent MS promised - 5%, perhaps.
  • MS keeps the rest for overhead and maintaining the program.

The problem is that Microsoft has been offering cashback in excess of what they're getting in the affiliate links. Instead of increasing user loyalty (using Bing, because typically the extra cashback links come up when you search for terms like "lcd tv" in  the search engine) or attracting new people to the site, they're making people on SlickDeals and Fatwallet who would use the program at whatever percentage happier.

They never marketed it effectively either so people outside of these communities don't even know Bing cashback exists.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:41:07 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;202984
I'll decide on your next purchase for you Welly... a calendar.

lol, my new palm pre plus (arriving tomorrow, yay) should help with that

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:42:08 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;202983
I don't see a revenue model here.

thats probably why they're shutting down, to be honest. I'm sure they've run the numbers on this promotion and made an economic decision. Ultimately the numbers have to make sense else companies wont do it.

tho i also agree that they probably made some strategic mistakes (bad marketing etc) which affected those numbers.

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:52:33 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202988
thats probably why they're shutting down, to be honest. I'm sure they've run the numbers on this promotion and made an economic decision. Ultimately the numbers have to make sense else companies wont do it.

tho i also agree that they probably made some strategic mistakes (bad marketing etc) which affected those numbers.

The revenue model works properly when your cashback is offered below the amount of affiliate money you're getting from the store.

MS has been offering it in excess of the affiliate money, but hasn't gained a ton of users from it (other than deals forums people, who will use it endlessly). They never marketed the cashback.

They're giving up a program that had a working revenue model when they acquired it and could very well be saved.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 12:15:04 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;202993
They're giving up a program that had a working revenue model when they acquired it and could very well be saved.

I can see how that would work as a business, but it really doesn't make any sense for Microsoft unless they use it as a way to
  • help Bing gain market share
  • reduce the dominance of AdWords as the online advertising channel of choice for many vendors
It makes no sense for Microsoft to crawl into a totally unrelated market to their core competency and start a discount deal brokerage. If it's integrally tied to their search engine, then it makes sense, but not as business in of itself.

I'm disappointed. I was hoping there would be some secret business strategy in all this that would make this very interesting to dig into.
-

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 12:24:22 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;202999
I can see how that would work as a business, but it really doesn't make any sense for Microsoft unless they use it as a way to
  • help Bing gain market share
  • reduce the dominance of AdWords as the online advertising channel of choice for many vendors
It makes no sense for Microsoft to crawl into a totally unrelated market to their core competency and start a discount deal brokerage. If it's integrally tied to their search engine, then it makes sense, but not as business in of itself.

I'm disappointed. I was hoping there would be some secret business strategy in all this that would make this very interesting to dig into.

• That's what they were hoping, but they implemented it in a totally wrong fashion
  • That was also part of the point, vendors would increase the cashback offered (not as much as MS made it) when they got in for terms like "ps3". They show up in prime positioning at the top of search results. Additionally, when you searched for a product it would show product links that went to Bing cashback anyways.

They already paid a few million for Jellyfish. Why flush it down the toilet?

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 12:37:57 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;203001
That's what they were hoping, but they implemented it in a totally wrong fashion

They already paid a few million for Jellyfish. Why flush it down the toilet?

Oh, was Bing just Jellyfish reborn as Bing Cashback?

I think they also got caught doing this at the wrong time. Retail vendors have been increasing their griping about the amount of money they they're having to pay in fees to specialty cards with exotic reward systems.

Once everyone stopped spending money they didn't have,  businesses that were sustained by volume alone really came undone. I suppose that would include the Bing network.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 July 2010, 12:41:38 by hyperlinked »
-

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 13:27:59 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;203005
Oh, was Bing just Jellyfish reborn as Bing Cashback?

Yes. Minus the cool reverse auction shows :(

Quote from:
I think they also got caught doing this at the wrong time. Retail vendors have been increasing their griping about the amount of money they they're having to pay in fees to specialty cards with exotic reward systems.

Most stores have an affiliate system anyways. Most stores like Newegg had nominal cashback (2.5%) which was perfectly sustainable.

Quote from: hyperlinked;203005
Once everyone stopped spending money they didn't have,  businesses that were sustained by volume alone really came undone. I suppose that would include the Bing network.

The bigger problem is that MS knows what it wants to be internet kings, but they have no cohesive strategy to do so that they're implementing.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 15:07:32 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;203018
The bigger problem is that MS knows what it wants to be internet kings, but they have no cohesive strategy to do so that they're implementing.

It seems that perhaps Microsoft got too large for its own good. With the success of the iPad, there are all these stories coming out about how Bill Gates beat Steve Jobs to the punch (at least publicly) on having a tablet computing strategy, but yet could not come up with a viable product. Along with that all the stories about how vicious politics at Microsoft is.

Then again, it's always easy to attribute a cause to a result in hindsight and  maybe their size had nothing to do with all the stumbling they've done in recent years.
-

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 08:21:19 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;203058
It seems that perhaps Microsoft got too large for its own good. With the success of the iPad, there are all these stories coming out about how Bill Gates beat Steve Jobs to the punch (at least publicly) on having a tablet computing strategy, but yet could not come up with a viable product. Along with that all the stories about how vicious politics at Microsoft is.

Then again, it's always easy to attribute a cause to a result in hindsight and  maybe their size had nothing to do with all the stumbling they've done in recent years.

It's all Microsoft's size which leads to politics, conflicting groups that are not merged, different groups that refuse to work with each other, etc.

The head of the Office division was heavily anti-tablet at the time that MS was really pushing the tablet PC movement. As  a result he refused to help them integrate the handwriting recognition and other features into Microsoft Office.

MS can't win because its size gets in the way. They need to restructure some of the groups internally.

Of course, saying it is easy. Doing it is hard :P

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 08:34:40 »
I still like my $280 dual-core laptop and my other dual-core $350 laptop courtesy of Bing Cashback.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 08:37:22 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;203293
MS can't win because its size gets in the way. They need to restructure some of the groups internally.

True, but this was what I meant in that it's easy to assign a cause to an outcome. Not that long ago, the conventional wisdom was that Microsoft was unbeatable because of its size. That they weren't nimble enough to get anything right the first time because their size was too much of a hindrance, but they'd just keep churning and put out a capable second version, and by the third version you might as well quit if you were competing against them.
-

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
Re: Bing Cashback Back For Ebay
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 15:01:59 »
nvm
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 October 2017, 15:05:15 by iamacicada »