Author Topic: KTOD - If you had to do it all over again what would you do differently?  (Read 5837 times)

Offline dante

I don't know if it's something that happens when you get older but it seems as the years roll on the amount of regrets keeps piling up.  One of these is thinking about all the cash/time I've squandered hunting boards that I thought were "it" but ended up falling short.  So it got me thinking about how differently I would have changed things given the opportunity.

So... if you had to do it all over again what would you do differently?

1. For my first board I would have bought a Siig Minitouch and populated it with custom Linear Dampened Cream Alps.
2. I would have saved all my money to buy a KingSaver and wait until Matias Red Alps came out to decide whether to use them or not.

I love the V60MTS, not sure I'd want them again after trying a KingSaver :)

What about you?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Buy topre and be done. Stay away from this place.

Offline Fnzzy

Not selling my QFR and move straight to korean boards.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Get on GH as soon as I bought a Keycool so I could have bought Clacks at retail.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot

Pretty much this  :))

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
1. buy kustoms early on and not go through so many stock boards
2. actually post early on and not lurk for 4 months:p
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 April 2015, 09:33:41 by hwood34 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
I would have registered earlier.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I'd buy a Nerd60, and make it totally customized with my preferred layout, my own selection and mix of MX switch's stems and springs, and of course key caps and case. Stock boards are for starters, and going the custom route from start might has saved me hundreds dollars. But, in any case the quest for my preferred "sword" has been a lot of fun; besides, I did not know enough at the beginning as to figure that out for myself, back then. Just read the awesome stories at this thread.

Offline 1391406

I would have skipped the Model M and went straight for a Model F.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
should have started Topre. Went through 3 boards and sold them at a considerable markdown before I found out I actualy really like silenced cup rubber.

Offline fanpeople

Re: KTOD - If you had to do it all over again what would you do differently?
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 20:41:35 »
I would have never come to this place and enjoyed a cost free RD existence.

Seriously I have only been on this site for like 6 months and already own 5 keyboard (All IBM and all cost over $100), not to mention the extra key caps, custom SDL cables and the unnatural desire for Gasmasks. 

Just did a quick calculation... I'm at about $900 in keyboard purchases, not including shipping costs and not including random cables and key caps.

Dam I love Model M/F

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 00:06:45 »
I would buy all the Clacks available on classified when the price was can still be swallowed...
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline rand77

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 00:19:05 »
I just got my first Topre board a few weeks ago (Novatouch TKL).  If I was to start over I would definitely stick with Topre, and the new Alps ErgoDox that is currently on Massdrop.

I've realized that my preference for switches is ranked as follows (out of the switches I've tried):

1. Topre
2. Alps SKCL/SKCM / Matias
3. Buckling springs (these are great but a bit too loud)
4. MX switches (Gaterons preferred over Cherry)

Although I think MX switches are great, I'm finding I just don't prefer them to other mechanical switches.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 00:24:51 »
I just got my first Topre board a few weeks ago (Novatouch TKL).  If I was to start over I would definitely stick with Topre, and the new Alps ErgoDox that is currently on Massdrop.

I've realized that my preference for switches is ranked as follows (out of the switches I've tried):

1. Topre

Although I think MX switches are great, I'm finding I just don't prefer them to other mechanical switches.

But the loudness is the bestest bit, it keeps the evil spirits away.

Offline rand77

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 00:32:45 »

1. Topre

Haha its just too intense for me  :).   It would be nicer if it was one deep "thock" like topre.  The higher pitch of the spring actuating is what I don't like.

I can understand why people love IBM Model M/SSK, the build quality is extraordinary, and BS switches are super comfortable.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 April 2015, 00:35:20 by rand77 »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 00:48:50 »

1. Topre

Haha its just too intense for me  :).   It would be nicer if it was one deep "thock" like topre.  The higher pitch of the spring actuating is what I don't like.

I can understand why people love IBM Model M/SSK, the build quality is extraordinary, and BS switches are super comfortable.

They are quite pingy, you have reminded me I should floss......................................mod.

To be honest I have never tried Topre or Alps but I would probably end up liking it and wanting more keyboards.

Offline steve.v

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 00:58:08 »
1. Topre
2. Topre

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 01:00:12 »
I would have skipped MX altogether and gone straight to the HHKB, Alps, and Model F.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 01:00:30 »
Would have bought those clacks on EK when they were retailing for $18 instead of scoffing at the prices for a "single stupid key." sigh. smh.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 01:14:20 »
1. bought a Kishsaver when that lot was found, and installed a buzzer and solenoid
2. F AT with buzzer and solenoid.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 01:14:40 »
I obtained, but did not hoard, when I had an easy supply of used white ALPS boards.  Should have just gotten a stack instead of one at a time.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 05:51:01 »
Probably not much, because I value the experience I have gained.

If anything I would have tried to join a bit earlier so I could have gotten in on the early Clack sales.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Bucake

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 07:22:07 »
i would have kept my linear alps board
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 10:59:14 »
- bought a kishsaver when it was available
- bought a SSK when it was cheaper
- bought less DCS key cap sets :rolleyes:
- bought the HHKB sooner

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 12:10:45 »
Skip buying the cheap crab and just save for what I really want, this goes for boards and caps. Also I really wish I never bought an artisan, they're a money pit.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 09:42:20 »
Skip buying the cheap crab and just save for what I really want, this goes for boards and caps. Also I really wish I never bought an artisan, they're a money pit.
Yeah cheap crab is the worst.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 09:44:07 »
Yeah cheap crab is the worst.
Hey if I'm getting crabs I want to get classy ones. ;)
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 09:45:58 »
I would have done the same thing as I did this go-round. Try out as many keyboards as I could to form my own opinions on things. I guess I wouldn't have bought that Blackwidow and bought the Kingsaver sooner. Oh and found GH sooner.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:05:28 »
GON TKL for gaming swag, GON 60 for coding, and realforce 104U 55g uniform for typing orgasm. deck them out with nice caps. Probably would not have cost much more than I've already spent.   :-[

Offline osi

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:09:14 »
Buy HHKB first

Offline Huxley2500

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:26:25 »
Stayed 100% Clicky.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:36:07 »
Buy a Korean custom in the beginning! Not start with a Filco (x2) and Ducky (x2) before selling off both for my KMAC2.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 17:12:00 »
Buy a Korean custom in the beginning! Not start with a Filco (x2) and Ducky (x2) before selling off both for my KMAC2.
it is kinda hard to ask our past selves to drop a few hundred on a single board :p . I remember seeing a big kustom classifieds thread and just scoffing at all the prices
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Wobbly Bot

• * Destiny Supporter
  • I do photography sometimes
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 17:22:21 »
I would have gone straight to the HHKB. Completely in love with the board and Topre now has a special place in my heart.
RAMA M60-A - Zilents 65g Lubed

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 17:26:33 »
I remember seeing a big kustom classifieds thread and just scoffing at all the prices

I thought the same thing for a bit.

*4 Months into GH Joey Quinn buys a lightsaver then a GON :blank:

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 18:33:34 »
Nothing. Or maybe everything.

It's a process. If I did things differently, my current self would be different as well.
For example, one of my first switches was Cherry MX Black. I hated it. Several keyboards later, I'm back at blacks and lovin' it. My typing technique is different.
If it weren't for Czech QWERTZ, I wouldn't have switched to Colemak. If it weren't for Colemak and ErgoDox, I wouldn't have even considered AdnW.

There's one thing I *would* do differently though. I wouldn't be lazy to do tedious mods, cleaning and software changes. In particular, I kinda wish I had committed to using a matrix layout a year earlier.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 09:34:35 »
it is kinda hard to ask our past selves to drop a few hundred on a single board :p . I remember seeing a big kustom classifieds thread and just scoffing at all the prices

I know...but I remember modding my Filcos and Duckys and realized with all that money spent...I could have gotten something better  :(.

Offline uJalled

• Shrimp cracker enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 11:00:17 »

I have only just recently seen the light. this is the best keyboard advice ever

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 12:08:55 »
tl;dr  I would have bought a HHKB, which was my first impulse

-----
I only became aware of this world because I saw an article or something about the HHKB and it looked cool, but way more money than I was willing to spend. Started looking for alternatives and found this forum, bought a KUL ES-87 with brown switches. It was miles ahead of anything I'd ever used and I started chasing after the "perfect" set of key caps. Three key sets later, and lots of time spent reading how great Topre switches are, I finally pulled the trigger and got a black HHKB and put white printed keys on it. I actually get excited when I get a chance to type on it a bunch. The Cherry switches on the KUL feel pretty crude by comparison, and I can seriously imagine just using this keyboard from now on, even as computers and monitors come and go. So yeah, my first instinct was to get an HHKB and I wish I'd just gone that route first.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 10:44:53 »
To be honest? Nothing. As cheesy as it may sound, the journey was important for me...

I started with a fresh MX Brown, before getting a used TKL (also browns), FILCO Blue, Topre 45g, then Ergo Clears 55g. I thought I would stop chasing switches and stick to my Ergodox (double the ergo!) and started chasing caps instead. From IMSTO to SP, and Cherry-profile to SA, I got them all (save GMKs, which I am getting now).

Now I'm experimenting with Jailhouse Blues and Gaterons.

My take on this?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EabB55IYyOg

p/s; how the heck do I use the embed youtube video?

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 18:27:17 »
Would have found a way to purchase Model Fs back in the 80's.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 12:04:38 »
I would have to also say that in the grand scheme of things, having high-end keyboards didn't really improve my life in any significant way, since I was not suffering from RSI or any other problems due to typing a lot, and my typing speed didn't really improve much since getting quality keyboards. And it's not as if keyboards brought any additional deeper meaning to my life. The "journey" of researching, testing, comparing, customizing keyboards is simply means to an end, and it's not a "hobby" because I have passions that are far more meaningful/fulfilling in my life. Keyboards are just tools, in the same way that cameras, paint brushes, computers, smartphones, screwdrivers, etc are just tools. Some people do find some kind of additional meaning in keyboards by making it a serious passion and getting into designing/modding/collecting, but I don't have that kind of interest in keyboards (or any kind of collecting and modding in general)--I simply want a tool that's ideal for my needs, and I focus on my preferred creative outlets (writing novels, visual art, composing music, etc).

With all that said, I do prefer the experience of using a quality keyboard compared to a cheap rubber-dome, but ultimately, having multiple high-end keyboards with different switch types and form factors and continuing "the journey" is really just an excuse to fill one's life with something to be immersed in, but compared to everything else in life, is mainly superfluous.

So in the end, if I could start over knowing what I know now, I would do the following:

-Get the RealForce 87U 55g (white/gray version) and add colored modifier/arrow/Esc/WASD keycaps. This is the daily driver and the best keyboard among all my keyboards in terms of tactile feel, sound, construction quality, etc. And it doesn't require a bunch of DIY--it's superb right out of the box.

-Get the Leopold FC660C (beige/gray version) as my bedtime/portable typing keyboard to be used with my smartphone (via OTG cable). BUT, this might change soon, because I'm still waiting for the TextBlade and the Matias 60%, and there's a chance one of them might end up being better for portable typing. (TextBlade should win due to its tiny size, but until I actually type on one, I can't say for sure if it will perform as well as advertised.)

-Get a quality fully customizable RGB LED backlit TKL keyboard with linear switch (for gaming, so I can use different LED colors for types of weapons, spells, healing, movements, inventory, etc). Unfortunately, none of the ones on the market currently are acceptable to me in terms of design. I hate LED light spillage onto the keyboard, and I'm still waiting for one of the companies out there to release a TKL that has fully customizable RGB LED lighting only for the key legends and nowhere else.

And that's it. Three keyboards to satisfy three distinctly different needs. Beyond those three, any more is just being self-indulgent and putting time/energy/money into something that inherently has no real meaning to me. I knew this going in, and I even said so in my very first post here. I just need to find the keyboard(s) that matches my needs and then move on with my life.