geekhack Community > Ergonomics

A symmetric stagger, ergo design

<< < (3/6) > >>

wolverine92:
I would suggest looking at the XBows. I don't use mine any longer since I moved to Split, but it has some design aspects similar to what you are going for here.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Gorbon:

--- Quote from: wolverine92 on Tue, 23 February 2021, 22:20:34 ---I would suggest looking at the XBows. I don't use mine any longer since I moved to Split, but it has some design aspects similar to what you are going for here.

--- End quote ---
Yes, I like their offset pinkie columns and thumb keys, as well as the solid construction. I was initially considering getting one, but several other things put me off.

How did you find yours? Did you get used to it easily? Was it comfortable over longer typing sessions?

Some of the things I find problematic with its design are:

* It's pretty wide at 18u+, impacting right-hand mouse ergonomics
* It needs software to run on your computer for programmability (there is no Linux support)
* Custom shaped keys, so no upgrades
* Last but not least, this radial layout

They took this concept of "your fingers fan-out when you stretch them" and run with it, but I don't think that this is very prevalent while typing (apart perhaps for the pinkie) and certainly not on a flat keyboard.

For this fanning-out to manifest, you have to type with your palms parallel to the keyboard, while overextending your fingers to press the keys without moving your hands (you'd need to have pretty small hands for this to happen). I don't think that this is comfortable and haven't seen people type like that (at least I don't). Also, fanning-out the index columns and especially the inner index columns, makes no sense to me and pushes the keys unnecessarily too far.

On my design, I did find that fanning-out just the pinkie columns helps ("q" and "p" are offset to the outside) and on the Esrille (tented, columnar keyboard) they also fanned-out the ring and pinkie keys. The ring finger probably didn't really need it, but I guess with the way they rotated their keys, it fit better in the design and also if you have small hands it might help.

Anyway talking and theorizing is easy; I need to build a prototype and start testing it extensively, to make sure that this layout actually works.

vvp:
The best fan-out is no fan-out.
Fan-out only makes keys more far away from the home position.

kurplop:
The fanning never made sense to me either, for the same reason.

wolverine92:

--- Quote from: Gorbon on Wed, 24 February 2021, 05:24:41 ---
--- Quote from: wolverine92 on Tue, 23 February 2021, 22:20:34 ---I would suggest looking at the XBows. I don't use mine any longer since I moved to Split, but it has some design aspects similar to what you are going for here.

--- End quote ---
Yes, I like their offset pinkie columns and thumb keys, as well as the solid construction. I was initially considering getting one, but several other things put me off.

How did you find yours? Did you get used to it easily? Was it comfortable over longer typing sessions?

Some of the things I find problematic with its design are:

* It's pretty wide at 18u+, impacting right-hand mouse ergonomics
* It needs software to run on your computer for programmability (there is no Linux support)
* Custom shaped keys, so no upgrades
* Last but not least, this radial layout (Attachment Link)

They took this concept of "your fingers fan-out when you stretch them" and run with it, but I don't think that this is very prevalent while typing (apart perhaps for the pinkie) and certainly not on a flat keyboard.

For this fanning-out to manifest, you have to type with your palms parallel to the keyboard, while overextending your fingers to press the keys without moving your hands (you'd need to have pretty small hands for this to happen). I don't think that this is comfortable and haven't seen people type like that (at least I don't). Also, fanning-out the index columns and especially the inner index columns, makes no sense to me and pushes the keys unnecessarily too far.

On my design, I did find that fanning-out just the pinkie columns helps ("q" and "p" are offset to the outside) and on the Esrille (tented, columnar keyboard) they also fanned-out the ring and pinkie keys. The ring finger probably didn't really need it, but I guess with the way they rotated their keys, it fit better in the design and also if you have small hands it might help.

(Attachment Link)

Anyway talking and theorizing is easy; I need to build a prototype and start testing it extensively, to make sure that this layout actually works.

--- End quote ---
If I had the skills to design my own, I absolutely would do that over buying one. I liked the XBows when I used it. The fan out wasnt really an issue and I didn't get finger fatigue. I just decided I wanted fewer keys and transitioned to a Lily58 and now a Corne. I don't see myself ever picking up the XBows. But it was a good starter for me.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version