<< < (2/5) > >>

tp4tissue:
Woke up @ 3am this morning.

Internal Dialogue:

Trauma:   So.. Tp4 , here we are.

Tp4: We be

Trauma:  You know the 4790k was the KING of 2014, such a great year

Tp4: It was ok, but 2017 was best year of Tp4's life

Trauma:  It's such a shame that a Champion of that calibre should languish in a non-optimized thermal environment.

Tp4: Go away, what's the point, it's plenty cool, even under impossible stress loads.

Trauma: But you know for a fact that cooler running Cpus are more consistent and produce less micro-stutter.

Tp4: I don't even play games seriously these days.

Trauma:  After you die, the Infinity Ghz will judge you at Computer heaven's door, you need all the help you can get.

Tp4: That's ridiculous, Tp4 is going to Hell where there are only abacuses and be forced to take abacus classes forever.

Trauma:   Go delid the cpu right now or I'll kill myself.

Tp4:   fffffffffffffffffffff..

3:05am,    Tp4 disassembles the computer,  takes the cpu downstairs, Vice + Hammer, Tappy tap tap.    ___ Spray rubber sealer over capacitors, 2 coats.  Liquid metal (conductonaut), wait 5 hours for sealer to cure, Reassembly.

Tp4 Assured everyone that it was unnecessary and that he wouldn't do this,  but his severe mental illness is all consuming.

Pre-delid, Prime (non-avx) 87C load,  Post,  70C load,  -17Celcius Boost

Stock (allegedly intel's improved NGPTIM, Next-Generation Polymer Thermal Interface Material, it's dried+powdery, as expected)

Leslieann:
It's.
A.
Media PC.

Did it really even need an I7 or an overclock?
I'd have gone the other way, do what you can to make it as low power and quiet as possible.

As for 4790k, it's a bit long in the tooth (due to core count) but a great budget option for people on even older hardware. Just keep in mind Win11 is going to drive down pre 8th gen Intel/pre 3rd gen AMD between now and Christmas as people upgrade due to Black Friday deals. If you can wait for those blowouts from people upgrading, do so. But don't hold your breath for GPU deals.

tp4tissue:
Kekekekeke...

The problem was the g3258 wasn't fast enough for some networking stuff. It'd lock up. 2 core 2 thread no HT.

4790k is a drop-in, so the value is there.

tp4tissue:
+ 1.046% Speed Boost from Delid.. 956 to 966,  -17c load temp   
 /r2d2 noises, w0000000tttt....  / Worth it !!!

tp4tissue:
Been using it all day,  very smooth,   Really pushes the old GPU to 100% in nearly every game.

It's fast enough to decode h265 hdr 4K video, (not that you'd spend the 60watt to do it, but it CAN)

Is 4790k still a good cpu in 2021,  Tuned correctly, it'll do just about everything.  But of course 5600x is still value king.

Anyone running z87 or z97 i5 cpus, it's definitely worth looking into.

For 2600k /3770k /4770k users, 5600x is the right step.

Overclocked 4790k is almost as fast as a stock 8700k in games that don't scale with more cores..

Anyone else doing holiday delids ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version