Author Topic: KBParadise V80 MQC issues  (Read 1563 times)

Offline chipotle

• Coyote Tracks
KBParadise V80 MQC issues
« on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 11:50:51 »
I've had a KBParadise V80 with the Matias Quiet Click switches for a while--it was my work keyboard for about a year and a half, then traveled to a new job for just a few days until coworkers complained to HR that it was too loud (yes, my only HR writeup in a very long work history is about: keyboards).

...anyway, I tried using it with my Mac again recently and I've discovered a weird new problem: all the modifier keys on the right hand side of the keyboard -- control, command, option -- all behave like option now. I've checked this with Karabiner's event viewer, and sure enough, each key says it's option when you press it.

So: anybody else ever seen anything like this, whether on Mac or PC? Do KBParadise boards have a quality issue? Is this fixable through any means other than just buying a new keyboard? I'm currently using the Matias "Laptop Pro" (the Bluetooth version of their mini layout with the MQC switches), and it's okay, but I just liked the V80 look and layout more.
Realforce 87U / Unicomp SSM / KUL-87 MX Clear / Matias TP3 / CODE MX Green

Offline Kavik

Re: KBParadise V80 MQC issues
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 12:54:12 »
Have you checked if there is a firmware update? From what I understand, KBParadise doesn't publish new firmware publicly, but, if you email the support team or even comment on its Facebook, you can get the latest firmware. I haven't done this, but I have heard of others' doing it.

The only issue I've had is the caps lock lock light will get stuck "on" if I use the key too much, too rapidly (it's the push-to-talk button in a game I play). I can't remember if caps lock is actually stuck on or if it's just the light. I think it's the latter; however, unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes the issue.

Btw, what kind of **** co-workers go straight to HR instead of just asking you first?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline phoible

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 19:35:40 »
Are you sure it isn't some piece of software you have installed on your Mac? Have you tried testing it with another computer?

I had issues with one of the keyboards on my work computer. After some testing, I realized that the problem was USB Overdrive on that computer. Removing it caused the keyboard to work correctly.

Offline chipotle

• Coyote Tracks
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 13:36:42 »
Are you sure it isn't some piece of software you have installed on your Mac? Have you tried testing it with another computer?

Thanks -- this wasn't exactly the problem, but it pointed me in the right direction: the keyboard worked correctly with a Mac mini. I tried rebooting in safe mode on the iMac and it still had the issues, but restoring the keyboard to its default settings and "re-installing" it (with the "Change Keyboard Type..." button in System Preferences) seems to have fixed the issue, which I wouldn't have expected. I suspect there was a corrupt preference file somewhere.

Btw, what kind of **** co-workers go straight to HR instead of just asking you first?

**** ones? I dunno. The irony is that half the people in the office were using the new MacBook Pros with the "butterfly" keyboards, which are surprisingly loud for keys with virtually no travel. I suspect it might just be that a mechanical keyboard looks like it must be louder, so in people's minds it is.
Realforce 87U / Unicomp SSM / KUL-87 MX Clear / Matias TP3 / CODE MX Green