Author Topic: [IC] LightSaver V2 Round 2  (Read 221805 times)

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
Re: [IC] LightSaver V2 Round 2
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 11:00:35 »
This gb will probably start in the summer after orion's gb.  Long way to go!

He did say PROBABLY. Though I assume we'll have enough interest by then.

Offline Orca

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 11:38:51 »
does this KB support or for matter of fact any of the custom KBs support NKRO?

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 01:14:26 »
Sure.

Offline Altis

« Reply #203 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 23:38:42 »
This looks like one of the best keyboards I've seen yet. I love the design.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 23:50:24 »
I will update the OP after lunch, I'm super hungry right now and being nagged out the door.

Why you do us like this T Lord?  :'(

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #205 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 12:49:26 »
I will update the OP after lunch, I'm super hungry right now and being nagged out the door.

Haha sorry, :P
not that it makes any difference. It seems our thread has gained attention and there is a great possibility of another round happening, likely after orions! So rejoice, and I'll eventually update the OP I swear.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #206 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 12:51:15 »

Haha sorry,
not that it makes any difference. It seems our thread has gained attention and there is a great possibility of another round happening, likely after orions! So rejoice, and I'll eventually update the OP I swear.
;D I was just yanking your chain.

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 10:36:57 »

All of them do with usb!

You can still have all the LEDs you want with RSIII though, it's got both on-board RGB LEDs and switch LEDs support. There are even two pairs of RGBs on either side that was specifically designed so that they will shine through the LED holes on the side of the LS case (haven't tried this myself, but someone asked on a Chinese forum, and the vendor confirmed that they were designed as such).

Switch LEDs can be switched on individually on RSIII as well, but AFAIK at this time it's only implemented for the caplock and numlock keys (you can choose where those keys sit, and they will switch on and off based on whether the locks are on) .

See my post here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67398.180

This is correct, the RS3 PCB has been designed to fit both the Lightsaver and Octagon cases.

I am really contemplating in signing up for this one as well. Loved the Lightsaver at first sight. Problem is that I am an ISO guy (located in Sweden). Very unsure of the ISO possibilities on Lightsaver. I've been trying to research this but as I am very new to the mechanical keyboard game I am very uncertain. So pardon my elementary question; how are the ISO possibilities on this great custom keyboard?

Thanks in advance!

No ISO I'm afraid, but you can get a Redscarf III PCB from Taobao, which has ISO, and drop it in a LS case, which is what I'm planning to do myself.

Good suggestion. Cheers! If I ditch the LightSaver PCB I will miss out on all the LED goodness.  :( (Ye ye, I'm a LED guy.)

Im personally a recent Iso to Ansi converter since I prefer the looks of Ansi, and it seems to make shopping for keycaps a lot simpler, and its not really that hard to convert to from a German ISO layout at least imo.

Mmmmm. I hear you. It is just so hard to decide. If I choose to go with ANSI and not liking it... Well it will definitely hurt my wallet. Then on the other hand, I will have no problem selling the board. Argh! Why does it have to be so hard.

You definitely have a good point regarding hunting for key caps. Not converting to ANSI is more financially sound. Otherwise I would burn all my dough on key caps  :-[

Still interested in a LightSaver V2 GB but not quit ready to commit at the moment. What I've gathered the GB will not be until after this summer anyway. So I have still some time in deciding whether I should pull the trigger on an ANSI keyboard.

Iso vs Ansi wasn't an easy decision for me either, but  its true that your wallet might hate you for going Ansi as you can pretty much pull the trigger on any keyset... xD

The redscarf3 PCB (as far as it looks) will most definitely support LEDs btw so you wouldn't loose out on the in switch LEDs if you solder some in there.

It seems like it even features rgb LEDs to illuminate the acrylic bottom of the redscarf below the pcb simiular to GONs, but idk how well that may work for illuminating the acrylic side parts of the LightSaber if they will end up being available this time around. It could probably be adapted tho so no need to miss out on LEDs! =)

See above.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #208 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 11:53:01 »
RIP English custom buyers :(
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 14:45:26 »

RS3 PCB is only about $50usd after proxy costs. There are links in the GB thread to the taobao listing.

Offline Yslen

« Reply #210 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 14:57:53 »
Screw it, I can afford this. I'm in for a set :)

Offline Pieminister

« Reply #211 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:21:06 »

RS3 PCB is only about $50usd after proxy costs. There are links in the GB thread to the taobao listing.

I am an ISO user as well, but I was willing to go full ANSI for a lightsaver. I was unaware of the RS3 option. I am still most likely picking up a whole lightsaver set, because ANSI keycaps are so much easier to get, but I am interested in my options.

What would I lose out on by buying a RS3 PCB and a Lightsaver Case, as opposed to Lightsaver everything. Are there things the lightsaver PCB can that the RS3 can't? Is one of a higher quality?

Also, I am a bit of a noob and I am not sure what a "plate" is, and whether I can use a lightsaver "plate" with an RS3 PCB.

Offline whoyee

• clickity clackin'
« Reply #212 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 01:13:50 »
Just got into mechs and as with a few others in this thread, this is the first kb that I've come across that I _have_ to have.  :) Count me in on a full-set!

:))  Very excited about this one!

btw: this IC made me sign up!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #213 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 07:05:31 »
Just got into mechs and as with a few others in this thread, this is the first kb that I've come across that I _have_ to have.  :) Count me in on a full-set!

:))  Very excited about this one!

btw: this IC made me sign up!

Go big or go home!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline whoyee

• clickity clackin'
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 14:14:35 »
Ok everyone, I have a dumb/noob question here:
What would I require in addition to the full kit here to have a fully functioning keyboard that can be used?  I didn't see any mentions of key switches or key caps, so Im assuming those are all extras to be supplied yourself?   

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #215 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 14:16:20 »
What would I require in addition to the full kit here to have a fully functioning keyboard that can be used?  I didn't see any mentions of key switches or key caps, so Im assuming those are all extras to be supplied yourself?

The pcbs come presoldered but besides the case, plate, and pcb. You must provide everything else. Switches, anything to mod the switches, leds, keycaps, usb cable, etc.

Offline slaction

« Reply #216 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 23:57:43 »
Is there any options for pre-assembled?  I'm in a new location and don't have access to my tools.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #217 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 23:59:23 »
Is there any options for pre-assembled?  I'm in a new location and don't have access to my tools.
Well this group buy won't start until probably late summer so you have a couple months to get your tools. But as of right now there is no assembly option.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 00:23:59 »

I'd be willing to assemble up to maybe 3 keyboards at most for free if you or a couple others if you wouldn't be getting this keyboard because of it.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline whoyee

• clickity clackin'
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 01:15:31 »

The pcbs come presoldered but besides the case, plate, and pcb. You must provide everything else. Switches, anything to mod the switches, leds, keycaps, usb cable, etc.

Awesome.  Good to know.   Can't wait till this goes live :)

Offline slaction

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 07:59:58 »

I'd be willing to assemble up to maybe 3 keyboards at most for free if you or a couple others if you wouldn't be getting this keyboard because of it.

That would be awesome.  I'd be willing to pay for the assembly.  Can I reserve a spot with you?

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #221 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 21:29:42 »

As of right now there is no assembly option. However I was going to chime in and say that you often will have people willing to do a board or two while they do theirs.
[This happened before I could even post, right below.]

I am an ISO user as well, but I was willing to go full ANSI for a lightsaver. I was unaware of the RS3 option. I am still most likely picking up a whole lightsaver set, because ANSI keycaps are so much easier to get, but I am interested in my options.

What would I lose out on by buying a RS3 PCB and a Lightsaver Case, as opposed to Lightsaver everything. Are there things the lightsaver PCB can that the RS3 can't? Is one of a higher quality?

Also, I am a bit of a noob and I am not sure what a "plate" is, and whether I can use a lightsaver "plate" with an RS3 PCB.

AFAIK there is no downside. Duck is revered for his quality but the RedScarf series seem to be great keyboards. I don't believe you lose any options VS the lightsaver PCB, however, I am unsure of the LED capabilities of the RS. I'd love to let you know when we receive them from Ivan. ;)

Switches, key caps, diodes for LEDS and LEDs, Cable uhhh... I think that should cover you! [someone correct me if I'm wrong]

More people might pop up here. Also the paid services rotate each year, there's always someone cool willing to put boards together for cash.
RIP SIFO

Offline slaction

« Reply #222 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 15:03:31 »
What's the latest on this?  Would love to see it make it to a GB sometime soon.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #223 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 15:29:45 »
What's the latest on this?  Would love to see it make it to a GB sometime soon.
It's already been said that if it were to get enough attention it would start after the orion v2 run finishes.

Offline naps250

« Reply #224 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 13:33:57 »
Any chance for a case that's not so steep?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #225 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 13:55:34 »
Any chance for a case that's not so steep?
Nope. You would need to go buy a case for something like the Chinese red scarf 3.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #226 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 17:11:34 »
Unfortunately I have to withdraw my interest in this, I have my Korean custom situation on lock now. Good luck with the GB! These are gorgeous boards to be sure.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline kacase

• All things bright and beautiful.
    • 9di
« Reply #227 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 10:20:39 »
Unfortunately I have to withdraw my interest as well, because of the upcoming Orion v2 GB. Good Luck!
Orion V2 | Rama M65-A | Rama M67-A aka. Exent | Keycool TKL | Cherry MX Board 3.0

Offline Yslen

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 13:29:31 »
We're still over 30 interested anyway, right?

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #229 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 13:38:34 »
Yep, but there is probably 4 months to go before the GB even starts... :(

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #230 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 15:06:03 »
We will just have to see how much people really like the lightsaver design. 4 months from now is a long time...

Offline WayneLilburn

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 21:43:24 »
wannaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa joinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn... im relly interested on this set....

Offline SuperSumo

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 23:41:29 »
I might be interested in this. It's like a 75% w/ a number pad.

Offline Orca

« Reply #233 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 13:32:16 »
im in if there is assembly...

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 21:50:42 »
We will just have to see how much people really like the lightsaver design. 4 months from now is a long time...

Unfortunately nothing can be done as Duck is doing other GBs. We gotta wait. We're just lucky there is a possibility of a R2!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #235 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 00:07:51 »

Unfortunately nothing can be done as Duck is doing other GBs. We gotta wait. We're just lucky there is a possibility of a R2!

Yeah Im just going to keep watch and make sure this thread pops up every once in a while to make sure people don't forget about it. There are way too many good buys going on right now.

Offline Yslen

« Reply #236 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 01:52:11 »
Happy to wait, gives me time to collect money, keycaps, soldering equipment, skills... :D

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #237 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 09:16:24 »
Might be interested in a second one if I ever figure out how program the keymap using something other 02D's software...

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #238 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 09:24:34 »
Might be interested in a second one if I ever figure out how program the keymap using something other 02D's software...
Check out the Octagon thread. Whizzard and tjweir have some really good explanations for how to use the O2D software. O2D really needs to fix their software it's one of the hardest to use out of the custom keyboard firmware up loaders

Offline SL89

« Reply #239 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 09:41:15 »
If i can buy into Round 5 and be patient, I can certainly wait for another round of LightSaver. Again, I wanna thank everyone whos really into this for keeping it going and being patient as well.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #240 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 09:42:58 »
Check out the Octagon thread. Whizzard and tjweir have some really good explanations for how to use the O2D software. O2D really needs to fix their software it's one of the hardest to use out of the custom keyboard firmware up loaders

My biggest gripe is the lack of ability to program media keys in...

Offline Want

« Reply #241 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 13:45:33 »
You'll have to cross me off the list. Sorry guys.
Recently I've been less and less interested in the LS layout, and the Orion V2 hit me like a brick, so that's where my keyboard fund went.
Good luck, the Lightsaver deserves more attention.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #242 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 14:32:35 »
You'll have to cross me off the list. Sorry guys.
Recently I've been less and less interested in the LS layout, and the Orion V2 hit me like a brick, so that's where my keyboard fund went.
Good luck, the Lightsaver deserves more attention.

Any news on where and when the Orion V2 GB will happen?

[EDIT] Never mind, found it ☺

Offline ImDaBaron

« Reply #243 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 20:23:38 »
Definitely interested :)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 00:53:38 »
It would be absolutely incredible to see something similar to the acrylic bottom option for the Orion with a less steep angle on the Lightsaver...

I don't think there is much of a chance for this being possible sadly,
seeing its a single piece design and would most likely require a mayor redesign of the case, but one can still dream I guess xD

Im definitely interested either way, but the slightly steep 11°(?!) angle on the Lightsaver would personally be my only concern,
and an acrylic bottom would also be another very compelling feature!

Lightsaver Layout, with 7° acrylic bottom case would be a pure dream!  :thumb:

Offline naps250

« Reply #245 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 10:17:04 »
Why not a 7° aluminium bottom case  :D

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #246 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 10:34:44 »
Why not a 7° aluminium bottom case  :D

Because I was referencing the ORION which has a 7° Acrylic bottom in addition to a 11° Aluminum version, as I mentioned.  :rolleyes:

The Acrylic bottom imo also adds a lot to the aesthetics, and generally seems to be a cheaper option compared to aluminum.

More

So eventually cutting down cost, while improving looks and offering a 7° option seems like a all around win to me!  ;)

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #247 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 20:39:59 »
Lightsaver Layout, with 7� acrylic bottom case would be a pure dream!  :thumb:
Why not a 7� aluminium bottom case  :D

Because I was referencing the ORION which has a 7� Acrylic bottom in addition to a 11� Aluminum version, as I mentioned.  :rolleyes:

The Acrylic bottom imo also adds a lot to the aesthetics, and generally seems to be a cheaper option compared to aluminum.

More
Show Image

Show Image

So eventually cutting down cost, while improving looks and offering a 7� option seems like a all around win to me!  ;)

Acrylic is cheap, and I don't just mean cost. Check out the RS3 though, sounds like you might like that more.

@orionv2. I think it's over already.

Offline FreeChemicals

« Reply #248 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 02:49:59 »
Since I put in an order for the Orion v2, I think I'll skip the LSv2. I might change my mind though ;D

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #249 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 09:34:42 »
Acrylic is cheap, and I don't just mean cost. Check out the RS3 though, sounds like you might like that more.

@orionv2. I think it's over already.

I'm familiar with the red scarf III.
However I don't understand how one can compare the simple, flat layered case of the rsIII with the orion v2 example which would be a milled aluminum top on a (less but still angled) milled acrylic bottom.

I would agree that the rsIII looks cheap, but as far as I understand,  you pretty much implied acrylic always looks cheap? ('Acrylic is cheap, and I don't just mean cost.')

Honestly I would very much disagree that the acrylic aluminum combo will always looks cheap, and Orion to me would be a great example of that.
(Even the Lightsaver, and the orion aluminum bottom, are designed to feature acrylic side inlays as you probably know)

I would choose Lightsaver over rsIII anytime and I was kinda offended you suggested I might prefer rsIII tbh.