Author Topic: Hyperfocus by Chris Bailey - a good book  (Read 2200 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Hyperfocus by Chris Bailey - a good book
« on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 07:01:08 »
I am reading a small short but very interesting book, "Hyperfocus" by Chris Bailey  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36959766-hyperfocus  which I will happily recommend to anybody here who likes to read.

It reminds me of another small book I read earlier this year, "Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now" by Jaron Lanier  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37830765-ten-arguments-for-deleting-your-social-media-accounts-right-now  and both of them address the bizarre and antisocial things that are happening to us as a society due to the influence of modern technology.

But the reason for this thread is an incidental comment by Bailey as he was casually listing a few online "distractions" that he had allowed himself to indulge in that morning, and one of them was checking reddit, "specifically the mechanical keyboards subreddit"

So, Chris, are you a denizen here as well? You don't have to answer in public, but I am hoping that you know that a good keyboard is more productive and less distracting, allowing greater focus and productivity!
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 September 2018, 07:05:55 by fohat.digs »
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline JP

Re: Hyperfocus by Chris Bailey - a good book
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 09:16:28 »
Following this advice would mean staying away from GH  :-\
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 20:18:10 »
Please don't assume that the title of the 2nd book "says it all"

It is actually a profound critique of modern culture and thought by one of the early tech pioneers and gurus.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 10:50:18 »

It is actually a profound critique of modern culture and thought by one of the early tech pioneers and gurus.

sounds like a book for add/adhd

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 12:02:08 »

Sorry, I am a millennial and I lost focus after 30 seconds  :-[
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 12:17:27 »
I read part 1 of the book after you posted this, and found it of value so far. (Part 1 is Hyperfocus, Part 2 - Scatterfocus). I like how it is written, there is very little padding to fill pages, it gets straight to the point and stays there, as if the author was focusing on what he was doing. Highly recommended.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 16:44:58 »
I read part 1 of the book after you posted this, and found it of value so far. (Part 1 is Hyperfocus, Part 2 - Scatterfocus). I like how it is written, there is very little padding to fill pages, it gets straight to the point and stays there, as if the author was focusing on what he was doing. Highly recommended.

Update us,  if it HOLDs ..

Some self-help books start strong, then they get weak in the middle, and start ranting// making things up.

Hahaha

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 17:34:22 »

Sorry, I am a millennial and I lost focus after 30 seconds

The book suggests that it is more like 40 seconds.

What it is really about is the balance between focus and "unfocus" that allows the brain to work properly.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 17:48:30 »
I always felt like reading self-help books was a waste of time when I could be reading something interesting.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 17:50:57 »
I read this book as a break during the reading of   https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/843764.America_s_Constitution

Delve into that one if you want some serious meat.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline JianYang

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 01:31:56 »

Update us,  if it HOLDs ..

Some self-help books start strong, then they get weak in the middle, and start ranting// making things up.

Hahaha

I know, I have read a whole stack of them. I am still deciding if I am going to read the second part, with it being about scatterfocus - coercing creative thoughts, which I have no problem with...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 08:09:09 »

I am still deciding if I am going to read the second part

By all means, do read it. The entire purpose for the book is learning how to balance the two for best results.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28