Author Topic: [IC] KAM_Superuser | GB: NOW LIVE UNTIL 2ND MARCH  (Read 182751 times)

Offline MS85

Re: [IC] KAM_Superuser | 03/09 update - collaboration added
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 06:28:43 »
Yep, the Monochrome could be a good starting point for compatibility on European layouts. Buying 2 full kits just for those 2 missing caps would be quite a shame.

I also write in Norwegian sometimes, so I could make some use of it if I decide to convert the layout, but I'm admittedly a rare case.

Needless to say, but just in case: the more I look a this set, the more I like it. It's really a nice balance between elegance and uniqueness. Thanks for creating it :-) 

Offline FreshFromTheGrave

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 06:32:47 »
Don't worry guys, the missing keys from the south kit is an unintentional mistake :)

My brain loses track sometimes :P It will be fixed!

Offline MS85

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 07:47:09 »
Thanks! We appreciate your brain, even with track losses :-)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 07:53:30 »
Don't worry guys, the missing keys from the south kit is an unintentional mistake :)

My brain loses track sometimes :p It will be fixed!

It is good to know that it was just an involuntary omission.

Offline Genericusername56

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 12:52:14 »
Am I completely lost or were there iso enter keys in the mods kits before? Or could they be tossed into the north kit as well? It's a bit of a chore having to get another kit where you only want the one key because I'm sensing the price of the UK iso kit is going to be more than paying slightly more for a north kit with the ISO enters.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #155 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 13:31:46 »
Am I completely lost or were there iso enter keys in the mods kits before? Or could they be tossed into the north kit as well? It's a bit of a chore having to get another kit where you only want the one key because I'm sensing the price of the UK iso kit is going to be more than paying slightly more for a north kit with the ISO enters.

Seconded - having ISO enters (and alt gr?) in each international kit is much more reasonable than expecting North/South buyers to also buy the UK kit just for the enter key.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 13:57:41 »
My understanding is that the ISO kit has been separated from the other modifier sets for modularity.  The inclusion of the UK kit in the same one, while it is not required for all ISO users, makes the ISO kit a full one for UK users. Those of us that are not UK's may feel about buying those keys a burden. But we should consider that most Norde kits usually include UK keys. This ISO kit is unique due to the three different mods designs, and then, I think that the current solution is the more sensible one.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 14:40:48 »
My understanding is that the ISO kit has been separated from the other modifier sets for modularity.  The inclusion of the UK kit in the same one, while it is not required for all ISO users, makes the ISO kit a full one for UK users. Those of us that are not UK's may feel about buying those keys a burden. But we should consider that most Norde kits usually include UK keys. This ISO kit is unique due to the three different mods designs, and then, I think that the current solution is the more sensible one.

I don't understand - if all international kit buyers are expected to buy the ISO kit anyway, how is that more sensible than adding the modifiers to each international kit? While the amount of extra keys may be small, it's an extra kit and an extra level of complexity to anyone looking to buy. I don't think there's a very large amount of people who would buy the North or South kit without needing the ISO enter.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 18:13:23 »

That would make sense IF the "ISO kit" were just the modifiers (ISO Enters, left Shifts and AltGrs) instead of the mods + the UK(+US) alphas. I think the only alpha in there useful for other national layouts would be the <>.

If the intent is to go with "full modularity", I would suggest making the "ISO kit" to be only the modifier keys, and get an "English" alphas kit (besides the extant North and South, which also would be alphas-only).

Notes: the 4$€ key in the North kit is for the English (UK) layout only; should be moved to "English". North and South lack <>. In South, the ◌́◌̈{ has the curly brace mis-sized.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 18:19:22 »

I don't understand - if all international kit buyers are expected to buy the ISO kit anyway, how is that more sensible than adding the modifiers to each international kit? While the amount of extra keys may be small, it's an extra kit and an extra level of complexity to anyone looking to buy. I don't think there's a very large amount of people who would buy the North or South kit without needing the ISO enter.

Weeeeeeeeeeeell... we could dispense with the ISO Enter key by going ISANSI and replacing the 1.0 movable key (Ç in the Spanish layout) with a 1.5U equivalent. So buh-bye ISO Enter, hellay one special key per supported national layout... this would actually be worse for kitting (and that's without actually considering if the change is good — some national layouts designed for ISO become quite uncomfortable as ISANSI).

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 19:09:05 »
Weeeeeeeeeeeell... we could dispense with the ISO Enter key by going ISANSI and replacing the 1.0 movable key (Ç in the Spanish layout) with a 1.5U equivalent. So buh-bye ISO Enter, hellay one special key per supported national layout... this would actually be worse for kitting (and that's without actually considering if the change is good — some national layouts designed for ISO become quite uncomfortable as ISANSI).
Yeah lets get back to realistic kits shall we, the ISO enter shape is what we are used to, it's a good part of why we find ANSI uncomfortable.

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 02:00:09 »

I'm guessing 99% of everyone getting the north kit needs an iso enter. it doesn't make sense to have to purchase a kit for surely >€30 to get ONE key that's part of the ISO-nordic keyset anyway.

Basically, there is very very very few people that want the north kit without ISO enter. I'm going to guess it's close to zero. It doesn't make sense not to include the iso enter there, or just in the mods kit from the start.

The inclusion of iso enter in the north kit also makes it a complete kit for north users.

Just include is enter in BOTH the uk and the north kit. The amount of people that want the north kit and not iso enters is so incredibly small that it's not worth to take into account.

Edit2: or what makes the absolute most sense to me, include iso enter in the modifiers kit. That way you only need to add the color scheme of that particular mods kit rather than all three. Which is how it was before if I'm not mistaken? I think going away from that is a mistake.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 September 2020, 02:32:49 by Genericusername56 »

Offline MS85

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 02:50:48 »
Actually, as a potential ISO+South buyer, I would not find it anything wrong in this approach if the price sit is reasonable.

Guess it’s the key factor: in order to state if it makes sense or not we should know the prices, otherwise any statement is quite inconsistent.

If, say, I have to pay X for the ISO and 1.1X for the South (or North), then yes, I would fell like I’m actually financing the feasibility for English ISO only users.

But if the price ratio is about reasonable then paying, say, X+3,5X (for ISO+South) or paying 4,5X (South with included ISO) is just the same for me.

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 03:07:57 »
Actually, as a potential ISO+South buyer, I would not find it anything wrong in this approach if the price sit is reasonable.

Guess it’s the key factor: in order to state if it makes sense or not we should know the prices, otherwise any statement is quite inconsistent.

If, say, I have to pay X for the ISO and 1.1X for the South (or North), then yes, I would fell like I’m actually financing the feasibility for English ISO only users.

But if the price ratio is about reasonable then paying, say, X+3,5X (for ISO+South) or paying 4,5X (South with included ISO) is just the same for me.
Yes, that's a fair point. If there's no price difference between getting alphas, mods, north and UK ISO or getting just alphas, mods and north then obiously it doesn't make a difference. I'm just assuming this means buying an additional kit for the price of what a kit usually costs on top of everything else. Which obviously can be a completely incorrect assumption from my part. If it doesn't make a difference on pricing then I obviously couldn't care less where exactly the keys are :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 10:26:26 »
I agree that splitting the UK keys from the ISO modifiers makes sense for buyers getting the North and South kits. But, the OP decided to mix them, maybe considering that the UK set includes few keys. After reading the comments on it, I should agree with most that make three international sets: UK, North, and South, plus the ISO modifiers kit are fair for all.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 September 2020, 10:28:05 by ideus »

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 16:07:14 »
That's fair feedback guys I'll look to making the north and south complete in their own right :)

Offline MIXO Cables

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 22:47:45 »
feels like hammerhead, but with a glimpse of mint, interesting

Offline smej

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 03:19:27 »
 :eek:

i hope you can give soon more information about price and gb date  ;D

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 07:28:56 »
I love everything about this set, I'm just not a big fan of this ALPHA<->MOD separation. Would be great if the ALPHAS would be available in the same color as the mods, especially for non-standard layouts.

your claim was that tuhna covers everything, that was what i argued against.  i have disproven your logic, because i need an e , even tho i dont use BEPO. And than i extented it, that i can imagin that there might be cases for the s and i, which OP confirmed. It just made me angry that people think there is only the english layouts and disregard all else. sorry i had to vent there for a bit.

If you really wanted to reply to my post I don't get it

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 08:37:28 »
Guys, just to be clear, there are essentially no drawbacks to having ISO Enter and AltGr keys in each of the international kits: US/UK ISO, North and South. So let's do that.

That's fair feedback guys I'll look to making the north and south complete in their own right :)
Yep, that's good.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on flipping the legends around (\ | instead of | \) like I suggested here? Would be cool to hear what you think about the other suggestions as well :)

« Reply #170 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 08:43:26 »
Anyway, what are your thoughts on flipping the legends around (\ | instead of | \) like I suggested here? :)

Currently in progress ;) alphas are done so I think it's just the int kits left which need a whole load of alignment and sizing changes anyways so they stop being so messy.

I mean I kinda feel like it doesn't matter which way round the legends go because for every keyboard you find with them on the right, you can find another with shift legends on the left. In fact both of my main boards' stock caps had them on the left which is probably the reason it made sense for me to do so as well (and they're rather popular boards). But it seems as though more people dislike them on the left than mind if it's on the right, so I concede ;)

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 11:09:20 »

That's awesome! Cheers! Sooo looking forward to getting this set.

Offline Desmo

« Reply #172 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 17:54:03 »
Count me in :D

Offline davydav

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 04:36:38 »
Sorry for the dumb question, but could you explain how the international kits work ? I don't see anything there supporting ISO-FR.
Nonetheless, I'm in :D

Offline werc

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 10:50:14 »
Any chance for more execute keys in other sizes/shapes?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 11:02:15 »
Sorry for the dumb question, but could you explain how the international kits work ? I don't see anything there supporting ISO-FR.
Nonetheless, I'm in :D

Usually KAT sets have a separate kit for French layouts (ISO-FR, ISO-BE), but this one doesn't, at least not at the moment. Perhaps the runner will consider adding it if enough people ask for it :)

On that note, French kits are usually more popular than South kits.

Offline smej

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 02:00:29 »
It's possible to offer an ISO-DE Kit?
Currently you would have to purchase the iso and nord kit which contain keycaps that are not needed

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 08:31:57 »
Would be nice if there could be blank sets for non standard layouts.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 08:44:51 »
Would be nice if there could be blank sets for non standard layouts.

what do you need that isn't already covered?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 08:55:56 »
Currently you would have to purchase the iso and nord kit which contain keycaps that are not needed

It is improbable that an ISO-DE set would reach MoQ to be made; besides, it shares keys with other European keyboard layouts. Therefore the solution is to join as many "minority" layouts as possible in comprehensive kits that have a better chance to get enough demand to be made. I hope that explains the logic behind why you "have" to buy keys that you do not need.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 09:03:00 »

It is improbable that an ISO-DE set would reach MoQ to be made; besides, it shares keys with other European keyboard layouts. Therefore the solution is to join as many "minority" layouts as possible in comprehensive kits that have a better chance to get enough demand to be made. I hope that explains the logic behind why you "have" to buy keys that you do not need.

That's not how KAT/KAM MOQs work though. There's one MOQ for number of key units in the entire buy, not on a per-kit basis.

Offline davydav

« Reply #181 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 10:08:13 »

That's not how KAT/KAM MOQs work though. There's one MOQ for number of key units in the entire buy, not on a per-kit basis.

Then it wouldn't hurt to add ISO-FR and ISO-DE kits ?  :p

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 10:11:54 »

Thank you for the heads up. Does it mean that any key can be ordered at a flat price after lot MoQ? If that is true any combination of keys is acceptable for the design. What is the lot MoQ?

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 10:36:40 »
MOQ for Keyreative works for units in a kit, the problem here is not the keys in a kit, its the number of kits which if really high become a problem for vendors because they now have to handle a lot more skus, so you need to have a balance between number of kits and keys in each kit to be able to have as much compat as possible, thats why most sets do a French/South/North kit for foreign layouts.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:00:46 »
MOQ for Keyreative works for units in a kit, the problem here is not the keys in a kit, its the number of kits which if really high become a problem for vendors because they now have to handle a lot more skus, so you need to have a balance between number of kits and keys in each kit to be able to have as much compat as possible, thats why most sets do a French/South/North kit for foreign layouts.

OK, So rationality of kits applies to KAM, as it does to GMK and other vendors, but for different reasons.

Offline Mistah

Re: [IC] KAM_Superuser | 16/09 - added first vendors
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 15:08:02 »
Is there any chance that the ortho or ergo sets could have highlight or terminal mods?

Offline Pyk_

« Reply #186 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 23:05:51 »
This has always confused me about KAT/KAM. It makes sense that the manufacturer would have the same constraints, but without individual MOQ per kit, how does the designer know when its too many kits?

Offline synthtastic

[IC] KAM_Superuser | 16/09 - added first vendors
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 01:58:37 »
This has always confused me about KAT/KAM. It makes sense that the manufacturer would have the same constraints, but without individual MOQ per kit, how does the designer know when its too many kits?
KAT Monochrome which is currently running has ~55 kits. Seems you can go pretty wild, as long as vendors are willing to handle it...
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 September 2020, 02:03:00 by synthtastic »
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #188 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 03:09:58 »
KAT Monochrome which is currently running has ~55 kits. Seems you can go pretty wild, as long as vendors are willing to handle it...

And some vendors won't. DailyClack dropped out of running Monochrome due to the sheer number of kits.

Offline geewiz

« Reply #189 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 03:43:26 »
Is there any chance that the ortho or ergo sets could have highlight or terminal mods?

Outlook is good.  :)

Re: [IC] KAM_Superuser | 19/09 - Huge kitting update!
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 15:03:22 »
Huge kitting update everyone! Some highlights:

Many new kits including terminal and highlight versions of ergo and 40s_ortho.
U numbers added to kit visuals.
Legend alignments and sizing have now been carefully refined.
International kits have been fixed.

Offline psxndc

[IC] KAM_Superuser | 19/09 - Huge kitting update!
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 16:27:19 »
Digging the update. Big fan of the 40s/ortho terminal mods.
Ortho. Always.

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #192 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 16:30:42 »
Bro huge update, really happy with the available kits right now! Awesome job!

Will def be getting a couple of kits.

Offline ..//dexx

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 16:35:20 »
Really liking the kits right now. :thumb:

Offline econeuler

« Reply #194 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 08:57:23 »
Nice update, fun with the new Vim keys also :)
Is the vim-J a homing key? If not that's nice for people running, e.g., Colemak or Dvorak, but maybe not for the others?

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 09:04:18 »
Is the vim-J a homing key? If not that's nice for people running, e.g., Colemak or Dvorak, but maybe not for the others?

It's supposed to be a homing key, I realised last night after I posted I forgot to add the bar (and thought no one would notice!)  :-X

Offline econeuler

« Reply #196 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 09:20:53 »

It's supposed to be a homing key, I realised last night after I posted I forgot to add the bar (and thought no one would notice!)  :-X

Ah I see, thanks! :) really nice kit, appreciate it!

« Reply #197 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 10:53:09 »
But I have now fixed that and also fixed another silly error, I forgot to render the new accent enter on the mods kits. I am big derp brain :)

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 12:17:26 »
Huge kitting update everyone! Some highlights:

Many new kits including terminal and highlight versions of ergo and 40s_ortho.
U numbers added to kit visuals.
Legend alignments and sizing have now been carefully refined.
International kits have been fixed.

I applaud the kit updates  :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 12:36:43 »

Good job. I admire the colors and the creative console/dev env design.

Just a question: Would be more comfortable to handle, for you, for the manufacturer, and for vendors, to have modular sets with no redundant keys? I feel that having the same key in more than one group would be very confusing to all the stages of manufacturing and distribution. It looks like an MRP problem ahead.