Author Topic: Ant-keyboard (Russia's answer to the ErgoDox?)  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Snarfangel

Ant-keyboard (Russia's answer to the ErgoDox?)
« on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 19:39:42 »
I saw this rather interesting layout and render while looking at ergonomic keyboards. I haven't seen it on Geekhack before, so I thought I might see what others thought of it.
http://pupkin888.blogspot.com/2014/04/ant-keyboard-keyboard-part-2-is.html

106740-0106742-1106744-2106746-3
In one respect, I like the minimalism, but I do think smooth curves on the board's edges might be more inviting than the stair-step effect. Interesting form factor, though.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: Ant-keyboard (Russia's answer to the ErgoDox?)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 19:47:14 »
I like it. Steeper stagger than the ergodox, and the gaps of the thumb keys should reduce the missed-mashing I'm experiencing with my ergodox.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline qihqi

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 21:18:54 »
Interesting that it has a dedicated key for Ctrl + Shift. I could miss a right Shift from it though.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 09:04:58 »
It's pretty good and I have only 2 criticisms:

1. Thumb key positions and angles need to be tested in real life and adjusted. It looks like the radius is a bit too small and the start angle a bit too little (Ctrl and Enter should have a little angle to them instead of being vertical) and the last keys too far out (too much of a stretch). Ideal thumb rest position is between Enter and Space, diagonally out from N.

2. "Hall effect trackpoints" Should be separated, so 1 is on left side, the other on right. Also, integrating the trackpoints in those positions won't be all that easy, but hopefully he has that figured out.

Better than most efforts I've seen so far, especially with the angled thumb areas, trackpoints and integrated palm rests.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 21:25:59 »
You mentioned a related page on another thread; folks following along here might be interested in that one too:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55099.msg1813464#msg1813464

I believe this design a derivative of some ideas by geekhack user philpirj, made by someone from the same Russian keyboard forums who was inspired by him.

An earlier geekhack thread about philpirj’s similar design: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42577
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2015, 23:20:39 by jacobolus »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 21:46:08 »
My thoughts:

- Generally has some of the right ideas (column-oriented stagger, split halves, tenting, moving some keys from pinkies to index fingers, adding a mouse pointer device, extra tall F key keycaps)
- I like a lot of the ideas about macros, etc. from later on in the page.

- Weird choice for numpad positioning, not aligned with home finger positions
- I prefer shifting the up and down arrows down by a row
- I don’t understand the specific positioning of the trackpoints, seems like they wouldn’t be very usable simultaneously
- Stagger on the inward column of index finger keys has been unhelpful in my tests. Having the two index finger columns flush is the best compromise to keep the keys reachable, assuming both columns have the same number of keys.
- The stagger for the pinky is very aggressive; in my testing on a handful of people, no one would accept stagger of even 3/4u between ring finger and pinky, and preferred 1/2u stagger (my preference is about 3/4u); 5/4u stagger is going to be much too much for any general audience (though it might work for one specific person)
- Bottom row pinky keys, especially the far corner key, is going to be a pretty big stretch for just about any hand shape.
- Likewise the F keys in the pinky columns are only going to be usable by the ring finger I think. My recommendation would be, if there must be F keys, to shift them all inward by one column, toward the index fingers / away from the pinkies.
- I don’t think this thumb section actually has especially comfortable movements. I’ve tried several similar prototypes, and IMO pressing the bottom two thumb keys in this design is going to be fairly uncomfortable. The top two are alright, but still not at the most natural angle to accomodate any of the thumb’s natural directions of movement.
- I’d advocate trying for substantially more tenting than this, and maybe adding some adjustability in the tilt (I don’t know what the creator’s desk setup is like)
- I think a palmrest is unnecessary, though it does look cool

It looks like these are just renders. Anyone know if this keyboard was ever built, or if any physical prototypes were tried?

In any event, it’s exciting that there’s activity on Russian forums. It would be great if any Russian-speaking geekhackers would try to engage with those communities, and vice versa. Sounds like they have some neat ideas.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2015, 22:00:58 by jacobolus »

Offline vvp

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 07:58:35 »
Well, palm rests are so low that they seem completely useless to me.

Offline Kliwon

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 20:19:46 »
interesting shape, especially the black color..  :cool:
thumb section looks wider than ergodox..