Author Topic: MechanicalKeyboards.com Disco RGB TKL  (Read 21906 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
MechanicalKeyboards.com Disco RGB TKL
« on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 18:20:17 »
I just got the Disco, a MechanicalKeyboards.com branded TKL, and so far am quite impressed by it. Normally my reviews take upwards of a week or so to complete, as I like to really get comfortable with a keyboard before making judgments about it. But in the meantime I'll post what I learn about it simply because I saw a few people asking questions about it on multiple forums and figured I'd also be around to answer questions if anyone has any. Pictures will come as I continue to update this  :thumb:

So, first impressions were good. The box is a lot like the MK2016 box, clean and simple. The manual is very helpful, especially for the DISCO. When I saw it was an RGB board for $129 I assumed it was like most cheap "RGB" keyboards that I get to review, and have very limited options, or even had preset colors that couldn't be changed. To my surprise the DISCO seems to essentially be a Ducky Shine 5 TKL, which is fantastic. I know I always look over Ducky simply because I don't use TK keyboards, ever. The DISCO, as of right now, seems to be an excellent keyboard for what your paying.

I haven't gotten around to playing with the modes much, but there were multiple effects, including a fully programmable mode as well, which is excellent.

The switches are branded as KBTalking switches. I know a few people were asking if these were essentially rebranded Gaterons. I will be looking into this a bit more very soon as well. I'll try to contact the proper people on this as well as testing the Brown switches in the keyboards directly to a Gateron Brown. They felt really smooth, so this wouldn't surprise me at all to discover they are indeed rebranded Gaterons in some capacity.

If you have any questions or want me to test something, just post up  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
Re: MechanicalKeyboards.com Disco RGB TKL
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 18:28:05 »
Nice this board looks great, i like the Shine 3 style case so much more than the Shine 4/5 and the price is very good. If Ducky is the OEM i wonder if it uses a Shine 3 PCB or Shine 5 PCB. Looking forward to hearing more. If the OEM is Ducky, im curious why they didnt decide to release this under the Ducky name.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 18:46:48 »
Nice this board looks great, i like the Shine 3 style case so much more than the Shine 4/5 and the price is very good. If Ducky is the OEM i wonder if it uses a Shine 3 PCB or Shine 5 PCB. Looking forward to hearing more. If the OEM is Ducky, im curious why they didnt decide to release this under the Ducky name.

I know the MK2016 was basically all made by ducky, so I'm definitely curious to open this guy up and see. It definitely wouldn't surprise me, and honestly that would be a good thing i think.

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 19:16:47 »
Hmm, is there a "made in" anywhere on the keyboard?

This board uses 4 legs 5mm leds, right? Not smd ones like shine 5. Do regular gateron switches have 4 holes for leds? I think older ones didnt, but im not sure if the housing was changed to be like zealios.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 December 2015, 19:22:42 by Lepidus »

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 19:40:38 »
Sheeit, it seems mechanicalkeyboards.com updated their description:

"Wait, no Cherry MX switches?!" Yes, we decided to pioneer the KBT switches on the MK Disco. We find the KBT switches (Greetech OEM) perform and feel better than their Cherry MX counterparts. While pioneering a relatively unknown switch in the United States is likely not the smartest "business" decision we'll ever make, we stick to our guns on quality. Now that the "clones" like Greetech and Gateron have mastered how to improve on Cherry's MX design, we think it's time they get their recognition.

So, not gaterons ;_;

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 19:58:17 »
Interesting, good to know!

Also, yeah they have the new clear top like the Zealios have. I'll open it up later and see what kind of LEDs they actually are

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 20:05:32 »
Thank you.
can you do me a favor?
When you get to the lighting modes, when you get to the adjustable RGB settings and the per key settings, can you see how many brightness levels there are per RGB channel?  Even if you can't get them all exact, try to see if you can guesstimate.

To give you an example of what I want,

On the Ducky Shine 5/YOTG, there are 8 preset levels of RGB brightness per channel, off to level 7, which means 8^3= 512 total colors.
But I found out that if you hold down the color function key, you can PWM cycle through the color levels instead of having it stop at 8 values.  it was very painstaking, but I found that there were 8 "stops" between "off" and the preset "level 1 1st tap".  Well 7 or 8 stops, as  I completely forgot if off counted as a stop or if I counted 8 direct values before "Tap #1", which I think I did actually, but doing the math, that would equal 64 total brightness levels per channel, 64^3=262,144 colors that you can get by holding down and releasing the color selector key by guesstimating what level you want, instead of just tapping and releasing.

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 01:45:51 »
Knowing that Ducky is the OEM on this one pretty much sells it for me. Going to sleep on it tonight, but more than likely buying in the morning. I'll keep following this for sure, because I doubt I will be opening mine up, but I am still interested in the guts of the board.

I am interested in how you program the colors, and lighting modes. I know you always include videos in your final reviews, but a quick one for this would be super helpful. Also, is there any significant ping or any minor flaws you notice yet? Is the cable routing a disaster like the DS3?

Thanks for letting me know you started this on the Reddit post, I appreciate it Speedbump
A bunch of stuff. Someone teach me how to properly solder.

/u/Shartastical

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 07:14:47 »
Knowing that Ducky is the OEM on this one pretty much sells it for me. Going to sleep on it tonight, but more than likely buying in the morning. I'll keep following this for sure, because I doubt I will be opening mine up, but I am still interested in the guts of the board.

I am interested in how you program the colors, and lighting modes. I know you always include videos in your final reviews, but a quick one for this would be super helpful. Also, is there any significant ping or any minor flaws you notice yet? Is the cable routing a disaster like the DS3?

Thanks for letting me know you started this on the Reddit post, I appreciate it Speedbump

To clarify, Ducky was the OEM for the MK2016, and I'm assuming they are, or have at least made a number of the internals but have not opened it to confirm yet. Still, I would recommend the keyboard :)

Offline Songdog

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 22:00:46 »
MK.com updated their description with Ducky as the OEM :D

The Ducky OEM "Disco" from MK features cutting edge RGB LED functionality in a sleek, classic Tenkeyless layout. You wanted a Shine 5 TKL? This is basically it.

MK partnered with Ducky on the Disco so we could build the ultimate RGB TKL keyboard. We took our favorite TKL case (Shine 3), designed a custom dual-layer PCB to utilize the incredible Dip RGB lighting functionality of a Shine 5, and combined them with Ducky's super-sharp ABS keycap legends for superior readability. Keyboards, quite simply, don't get much prettier than this. The Disco is available with the new Blue, Brown, Red, and Black KBT switches.

Offline Vozella

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 23:05:49 »
Are Greetech switches worse than MX Cherry? How do they compare?

Offline codywanks

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 05:46:37 »
Was about to pull the trigger on this before realizing they had KBT switches.

I'm hoping a YouTube video review comparing KBT RGB Blues to MX RGB Blues (ideally with sound samples) surfaces soon ;D

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 11:04:56 »
Just get them.  The switches are fine.

KBT switches are just rebranded Gaterons.
Remember that those Zealio purple tactile switches that everyone goes nuts about -everywhere- are also modded Gateron (like lubed Cherry MX clears) also.
And if you want a TKL Cherry MX RGB Blue...well...you're going to be waiting a VERY, VERY long time.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 December 2015, 11:06:57 by falkentyne »

Offline codywanks

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 11:13:04 »

Remember that those Zealio purple tactile switches that everyone goes nuts about -everywhere- are also modded Gateron (like lubed Cherry MX clears) also.
And if you want a TKL Cherry MX RGB Blue...well...you're going to be waiting a VERY, VERY long time.

Wasn't it previously mentioned that KBT switches are rebranded Greetechs not Gaterons?

I'm open to getting a fullsize MX RGB Blue if no TKL versions exist yet. If the Disco had RGB Gateron Blues I'd get it, but not sure how I feel about Greetechs or Outemu or whatever.

The RGB Kailhs on my BW TE Chroma just don't cut it.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 11:57:51 »

Offline file_id

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 12:10:07 »
Any demo of the lighting functions?
DS3 White YOTS (Blue)|Poker 2 (Blue,Clear)|QFR Rapid-i TKL (Brown,Blue)|QFR Rapid TKL (Blue,Red,Brown)|KBP V60 (Blue,Clear,Matias Click)|Code TKL Clear|Filco MJ2 TKL (Blue)|Filco MJ2 Ninja Beige TKL (Brown)|Novatouch

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 12:24:51 »
Is there an aluminum case option for this?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 12:36:21 »
I'm finishing my full review now! I think it answers most questions here, but if not I'll start getting around to them today!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 12:37:02 »
Not that I'm aware of. I need to get one of the varmillo ones from MD to see what other boards they fit

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 13:29:10 »
I'm finishing my full review now! I think it answers most questions here, but if not I'll start getting around to them today!

Thanks.  Let me know when the review's up.
BTW did you test "holding down the RGB lighting level function key" like I said in my above post, and then releasing, rather than just tapping it?

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 20:57:20 »

What happened to the review? :(

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 10:50:54 »

What happened to the review? :(
Formatting it on KC now ;) they take a solid 20ish hours each :)

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 12:18:47 »
Oh you're on Keychatter.
Was wondering what that was.

BTW if you get this message in time can you do ONE more favor for me ?  You can do this while you're doing your work.

Can you set your Disco into "Reactive Mode Advanced" (if it has it, I don't know if the Disco has the Ducky Shine 5 lighting effects or not); but Reactive mode advanced causes a key to turn into a random RGB color of random brightness when you press it, and then slowly fade off to black.

Leave it there for 30 minutes and just type or spam keys or whatever and see if any of the keys stop changing colors or get frozen on 1 color.  Usually it gets frozen on 2 colors (e.g. Red stops appearing or blue stops appearing, etc).  Continued presses will eventually cause all the colors to stop.

This bug has been fixed on a beta version of the Year of the Goat (1.05) firmware that Ducky sent me yesterday for testing (actually it was fixed in beta 1.03), with the FN+Spacebar palette bug with the repeating spacebar input fixed in 1.05.  The Ducky Shine 5 will get this fix soon (Ducky said they are very busy, but they will apply this fix to the Shine 5 as soon as possible).

Can you see if the Disco has this bug with Reactive mode advanced?
Ducky didn't find out about the bug until the end of November when I submitted it for Year of the Goat, so the firmware would have had to have been developed for the Disco around this time, so it's "possible" that it wasn't found in time.

(it will usually trigger after 200 keypresses of one key).
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 December 2015, 12:22:24 by falkentyne »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 12:44:49 »
Oh you're on Keychatter.
Was wondering what that was.

BTW if you get this message in time can you do ONE more favor for me ?  You can do this while you're doing your work.

Can you set your Disco into "Reactive Mode Advanced" (if it has it, I don't know if the Disco has the Ducky Shine 5 lighting effects or not); but Reactive mode advanced causes a key to turn into a random RGB color of random brightness when you press it, and then slowly fade off to black.

Leave it there for 30 minutes and just type or spam keys or whatever and see if any of the keys stop changing colors or get frozen on 1 color.  Usually it gets frozen on 2 colors (e.g. Red stops appearing or blue stops appearing, etc).  Continued presses will eventually cause all the colors to stop.

This bug has been fixed on a beta version of the Year of the Goat (1.05) firmware that Ducky sent me yesterday for testing (actually it was fixed in beta 1.03), with the FN+Spacebar palette bug with the repeating spacebar input fixed in 1.05.  The Ducky Shine 5 will get this fix soon (Ducky said they are very busy, but they will apply this fix to the Shine 5 as soon as possible).

Can you see if the Disco has this bug with Reactive mode advanced?
Ducky didn't find out about the bug until the end of November when I submitted it for Year of the Goat, so the firmware would have had to have been developed for the Disco around this time, so it's "possible" that it wasn't found in time.

(it will usually trigger after 200 keypresses of one key).

I'm currently done with the review, just waiting for all the media to upload. Should be posting link shortly.

I did try this in the meantime, I didnt find an issue with it. I will try again later though to double check. Good mention.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 13:00:48 »
Yeah it takes a long time to notice.
It can happen in as few as 100 keypresses, and can take as many as 500 sometimes, for "one" of the colors to drop out.
However "basic" reactive mode (the one WITHOUT the random colors, just 1 set color turning on when you press a key then fading to off) does not have the problem.  Basic reactive mode was back on the Shine 3, after all.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 13:03:14 »
FULL REVIEW w/ Typing and Lighting Videos
https://www.keychatter.com/2015/12/30/review-mechanicalkeyboards-com-disco/

If you still have further questions or things you want me to test, just let me know!

Offline ZooMas

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 13:38:53 »
How white is the white on backlight? Is it the blue'ish kind of white that RGB LED's usually produce or is it actually white?

Offline Songdog

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 14:03:43 »
How white is the white on backlight? Is it the blue'ish kind of white that RGB LED's usually produce or is it actually white?

I actually have a picture of the brightest white I could make on my own Disco handy. I have not noticed any blue-ish tints with it.

Excellent review! :) Glad to know what these switches are based off and what it looks like inside the case. I am enjoying the red switches.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 December 2015, 14:05:31 by Songdog »

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 14:33:23 »
Quick question (posted on reddit also):

What happens if you press FN+space to bring up the keyboard color palette, press a different key (not space) to select one of the preset colors from the choices, and *then* press space bar?  Does it repeat the space input as if it were held down?

And that keyboard looks warm like the YOTG with white keycaps.

I actually found the RGB on the Shine 5 series to depend on the refraction from the keycaps.
The White keycaps on the YOTG make the white look slightly warm (like 7000K) while black keycaps on the Shine 5 (which have slightly SLIGHTLY smaller legends than the YOTG) looks more on the 9300K size (referring to kelvins from PC monitor white levels).  The Disco definitely looks more warm than the Shine 5, but the Disco does have much larger legends too.

Raindrop mode on the Disco seems to use the Shine 4 type code rather than the shine 5 code.  Just looked at my Fire 69.  Shine 4 is far more intense and looks like a torrential downpour or heavily dense rainfall at max speed.  Shine 5(YOTG) looks like anything from a light sprinkle to a light shower.

Offline Songdog

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 15:05:25 »
What happens if you press FN+space to bring up the keyboard color palette, press a different key (not space) to select one of the preset colors from the choices, and *then* press space bar?  Does it repeat the space input as if it were held down?

Mine didn't re-open the palette when I did that - it just acted like a normal space bar press.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 15:16:20 »
Oh it doesn't reopen the palette.
The spacebar acts like its being held down until another key is pressed.
(this affects all current shine 5's.  This was fixed (along with Reactive Mode Advanced) in Year of the Goat 1.05 beta firmware.  Ducky said Shine 5 will get this fix soon).

Low quality Video (not mine)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fu108qgynj4b8hm/MOV_0005.mp4?dl=0

Offline codywanks

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 16:10:44 »
FULL REVIEW w/ Typing and Lighting Videos
https://www.keychatter.com/2015/12/30/review-mechanicalkeyboards-com-disco/

If you still have further questions or things you want me to test, just let me know!

Nice work! I enjoyed reading it

Here's the only information I could find directly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3cq9m1/kbt_switches/
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/32osj5/kbtalking_next_a_new_keyboard_with_their_own/

Ripster suggested rebranded gaterons (with pictures).

Confirmed to be rebranded Greetechs. I've decided to fork out more for the fullsize Shine 5.

Offline Songdog

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 16:43:28 »
Oh it doesn't reopen the palette.
The spacebar acts like its being held down until another key is pressed.
(this affects all current shine 5's.  This was fixed (along with Reactive Mode Advanced) in Year of the Goat 1.05 beta firmware.  Ducky said Shine 5 will get this fix soon).

Low quality Video (not mine)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fu108qgynj4b8hm/MOV_0005.mp4?dl=0

Ah, that makes more sense along with the video.

I did it a few times and eventually it the space bar did act like that so it seems the Disco has this this bug.

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 16:46:44 »
These blue switches feel great actually, a tad heavier than Cherry blues, but very very similar to Gateron blues with a slightly higher and crisper click. There are 8 steps of each color when individually programming key colors including off. So 512 effective colors for individual programming, the LED's are rich and bright.

I think my only complaints about the board is the awful cable routing system that was carried over from the Ducky 9087 (but the case otherwise is super solid so totally worth the trade), the caps are obviously cheap, and the lack of alternate lighting modes. Rainbow and reactive are fun, I was really hoping for the modes I have grown accustomed to with my Shine 3's, mainly the ripple effect. Wave effect is a pretty essential one that is missing.

I did however find an issue with the spacebar LED's that I made a video about, I am uploading it now, as soon as it is done I will link it.

EDIT: Here is the video, I apologize how long it is, I was fiddling to see if I could find any other problems.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 December 2015, 17:08:26 by Suembeaux »

/u/Shartastical

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 17:00:46 »
These blue switches feel great actually, a tad heavier than Cherry blues, but very very similar to Gateron blues with a slightly higher and crisper click. There are 8 steps of each color when individually programming key colors including off. So 512 effective colors for individual programming, the LED's are rich and bright.

I think my only complaints about the board is the awful cable routing system that was carried over from the Ducky 9087 (but the case otherwise is super solid so totally worth the trade), the caps are obviously cheap, and the lack of alternate lighting modes. Rainbow and reactive are fun, I was really hoping for the modes I have grown accustomed to with my Shine 3's, mainly the ripple effect. Wave effect is a pretty essential one that is missing.

I did however find an issue with the spacebar LED's that I made a video about, I am uploading it now, as soon as it is done I will link it.

There are 8 steps by tapping.
There are 64 steps if you hold down the function key instead of tapping, although it's virtually impossible to stop at each step you want.
After virtually an hour of trying, I was able to get the exact 8 steps BETWEEN off and the first main step (tap 1).
By assuming each tap has 8 steps between each main tap, that gives 64 by deduction.
Then 64x64x64=262,144 colors.

http://i.imgur.com/ToGBGtX.jpg

Q is absolute minimum brightness before off, O is what you would normally get from going to off to tapping once on F5.

of course one could argue that only 14 colors actually mean anything before things get completely silly.
(White and Black, mains Red Blue Green, subcolors yellow, Cyan magneta, and then the crap like violet, orange, azure, rose, spring and chartreuse green, etc.  And don't get me started on BROWN, lol...)

*random fact#65535: This was also possible on the Ducky Shine 4, but I don't think anyone knew about it (or they didn't care).
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 December 2015, 17:18:59 by falkentyne »

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 17:06:19 »
There are 8 steps by tapping.
There are 64 steps if you hold down the function key instead of tapping, although it's virtually impossible to stop at each step you want.
After virtually an hour of trying, I was able to get the exact 8 steps BETWEEN off and the first main step (tap 1).
By assuming each tap has 8 steps between each main tap, that gives 64 by deduction.
Then 64x64x64=262,144 colors.

http://i.imgur.com/ToGBGtX.jpg

Q is absolute minimum brightness before off, O is what you would normally get from going to off to tapping once on F5.

I see what you mean, I did not try holding it down. You're absolutely correct. That is awesome, so despite the difficulty of getting those colors, it is definitely possible.

/u/Shartastical

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 17:17:12 »
Yeah I edited my post while you were replying.  Adding some more rather random stuff.

Once you get past these colors, then I guess the sky's the limit, eh?

It's still important to have enough levels of PWM/DC brightness for each color, so you can get smooth color effects on the color modes and fades.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 17:23:16 »
This is something far more likely you are able to get with keyboards like this.  And at least you can see the color steps here too.

But my question still stands.
WHAT EXACTLY IS BROWN?
How do you get BROWN with LED light?
I mean with crayons it's easy as you are SUBTRACTING white to get black (white paper, subtracting the white reflection by adding pigments, etc) but ahem...there's not even a brown on that color wheel.  Just orange and brighter oranges....

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 10:19:17 »

EDIT: Here is the video, I apologize how long it is, I was fiddling to see if I could find any other problems.
Good find! I'll post back if I find any issues as well. And I do agree, I like the feel of the Greetechs, I have a Das that has them as well, and always liked them.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 13:19:06 »
Suembeaux and livingspeedbump.
Let us know if you can use Reactive Mode (Advanced) for 30+ minutes without the key that is being pressed often failing to randomly color cycle.  If the keys stop cycling you have to FN+F10 to reset the mode.  Basic Reactive mode single color (FN+F9) is fine.

Suembeaux already confirmed that the space bar color palette / held down space input bug still exists on the Disco.

BTW found out a new thing Ducky added to YOTG 1.05 when they fixed the space bar palette bug.
If you press FN+Space, but keep FN held down and press space again to select dim white and don't release space OR FN, after 5 seconds, the backlighting will shut off as if the keyboard were FN+F9 cycled to "off", but without the backlight resetting to level 2 blue (if you press FN+F8 to turn off all backlighting then FN+F9, the color resets to default, same as FN+space+Left control ->FN+F9).  Interesting shortcut. 

Offline Ryukuxyz

• VE.A!!!
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 21:33:11 »
Commenting so I can stay up to date with this!  :)) I saw this on mk.com the other day and it seemed pretty much perfect for me. Like you, I prefer not to use TK boards anymore, and you really can't beat an RGB board for $120!

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:22:21 »
I'd like to know if it's possible to change each individual key's LED color to exactly the color you want, and what is the actual process of programming that? With software it's very straightforward with color-picker, but how do you do it with hardware? Use certain keys designated for RGB colors and just mix and match by pressing each until you get the color mix you want?

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:52:17 »
Hi,
You press FN+print screen or pause to enter customization mode.
If it's the same as the ducky shine 5, then the caps lock key becomes the color selection key instead of FN.
then you press caps+f5-F7 if you want to cycle through 8 brightness levels of R, G or B, and you hold F5-F7 to cycle through 64 levels or R,G or B.  (this is assuming the LED controller is the same as the ducky shine 5. I do NOT know if it is the same; I just assume it is from the product description).   Then you press the color you set onto the key, then you can set a different color.

The currently selected color is stored on Caps Lock, which is why the little circle is there to help you on the Caps lock LED.

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:55:11 »
Thanks!

So when a defined color is selected on the Caps Lock, you can just copy it to any other keys you want in the same color, right? (Otherwise you'd have to set each key manually and that would be unacceptably inefficient.)

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 15:00:37 »
Yeah.  you can press 20 keys at once and they will all instantly light up at that color.
You don't even need USB keyboard input to the computer.  Assuming the Disco has "Dumb" demo mode (meaning: light demo mode without active USB enumeration), you can program the keys even with a computer powered completely off, as long as the USB port still has power!

(I don't know if the Disco has demo mode.  Demo mode = hold CTRL+Shift+caps lock while plugging in the keyboard).

(Please take everything I am saying with a grain of salt.  I own a ducky shine 5 + Year of the Goat, not the Disco.  Make sure you double check with the thread starter to confirm).

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 17:04:53 »
feature=youtu.be

Offline codywanks

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 11:06:49 »

Good things come to those who wait  ;D

Offline ZooMas

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 11:34:19 »
Received mine yesterday. Was wondering is there any way to change the color of caps lock and scroll lock when they are on?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 11:50:51 »
Received mine yesterday. Was wondering is there any way to change the color of caps lock and scroll lock when they are on?

good question, let me look into that when i get home

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 13:18:06 »
I registered specifically to say thank you for this thread.  I've been mulling over pulling the trigger on an MK Disco, and you helped push me over the fence.  I had to move to PBT Doubleshots though. ;)

I'd love to know what would work as well.  TEX or Vortex cases (if they're ever going to be made available again?)
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 21:30:58 »
I registered specifically to say thank you for this thread.  I've been mulling over pulling the trigger on an MK Disco, and you helped push me over the fence.  I had to move to PBT Doubleshots though. ;)

I'd love to know what would work as well.  TEX or Vortex cases (if they're ever going to be made available again?)

Yeah i need to get some of these cases just to try. Tex cases are coming back into stock at MK.com and I plan on getting one, plus the massdrop TKL case I need to get my hands on. and sure thing  :thumb:

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 09:58:53 »
Yeah i need to get some of these cases just to try. Tex cases are coming back into stock at MK.com and I plan on getting one, plus the massdrop TKL case I need to get my hands on. and sure thing  :thumb:

That's great news on the cases!  From what I was reading around on the net it seemed like it wasn't looking too good on manufacturing restock anytime soon based on the comments/replies from people.  I've been considering just designing something custom, but I'm also short on time with too many other projects ongoing.  I saw the MD TKL case but wasn't sure on fitment compatibility.  Price was certainly attractive though! 

I should get my Disco tomorrow.  I'm moving from an E-Element with Kailh blacks on it, from MD too.  I'm hoping I'll be happy enough with the Disco where I won't have the 'upgrade bug' any time soon.  ...Fat chance.  ;)  I guess mech decks are like exotic cars -- you can never have enough of them!
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline ZooMas

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 10:59:06 »
The only thing that bugs me about the Disco is how they handled the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock indicators. Instead of having indicator LED's or an extra LED under the little dot on Caps Lock, it's instead that the key's LED itself is the indicator. And there doesn't seem a way to change the color of those LED's either  :eek:. If you take off the Caps key there is even a hole on the plate for the extra LED. Wonder if they could implement some kind of fix with a firmware patch...

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 12:04:37 »
The hole in place over capslock is for per key color customization because you have to hold caps lock and either tap, or hold+cycle f5/f6/f7 to change RGB colors, and it's difficult to see what the current color would be if your finger was covering the caps lock LED.  The shine 4 and shine 5 are set up the exact same way as the Disco is.  The cutout of the small circle LED hole for the second LED is there to make it easier for you to see what color you're selecting.  I do understand the point about having that small circle LED serve a dual function of also being a caps lock LED indicator independently from the main caps lock LED, though.  That would indeed be a better design choice, but keep in mind the Scroll lock and Numlock LED's also function as key indicators also.

The Ducky YOTG Went the other way with that, though.

The Ducky Year of the Goat has dedicated caps /scroll/numlock indicators above the number keypad, as SMD RGB LED's with chassis holes for them, with caps lock accepting a normal backlight pattern with all of the other keys, while also being a macro and set profile indicator, and per key color customization shown through the main caps and circle LED just like the Shine 4/5/Disco, but some have said the indicators which are between the calculator/volume keys and number keypad can be blocked and hard to see at an angle.  But I guess you would probably prefer that method to the existing one?  The Ducky One also has status indicator LED's, and the circle LED on the caps lock isn't used and has no LED at all in the hole (there's a hardware mod where you can solder in a LED yourself and route trace and signal from the dedicated caps LED area to it).

Caps also flashes when changing profile presets (FN+1 through FN+6), if they exist on the Disco as they do on the Shine 5, and for programming macros in profile 2-6 (No idea if macro mode exists on the Disco).

Offline Sduck

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 12:08:11 »
Just got one of these. Great little keyboard! I've had a number of ducky shines over the years, and hopefully will be able to get a shine 5 with blue switches eventually. My disco has the blue switches, and they work fabulously - better than my shine 4 with blues.

So, a question. I'm using this with a mac. With my shine 4, I could use Fn-End for volume down and Fn-PgDn for volume up, but these don't work with the disco. Or any other combination I've tried. Maybe I'm missing something?
x3

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 12:48:16 »
Just got one of these. Great little keyboard! I've had a number of ducky shines over the years, and hopefully will be able to get a shine 5 with blue switches eventually. My disco has the blue switches, and they work fabulously - better than my shine 4 with blues.

So, a question. I'm using this with a mac. With my shine 4, I could use Fn-End for volume down and Fn-PgDn for volume up, but these don't work with the disco. Or any other combination I've tried. Maybe I'm missing something?

I don't currently have a Mac at the house, but i'll try to do it at work on monday, if i dont post here just ping the thread  :thumb:

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 15:18:59 »
As far as I know, the Disco doesn't have macro/media keys yet.  This may be added in a fw update.

Offline Sduck

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 22:54:55 »
Oh - forgot about this thread. FWIW there is a firmware update out that adds media keys to the disco. I've forgotten details on how they work, but it's all on mechanicalkeyboards.com. I updated sometime last year - I was traveling a lot, and often took the disco with me to have a decent keyboard for my macbook pro.
x3