Author Topic: MechanicalKeyboards.com Disco RGB TKL  (Read 22103 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Re: MechanicalKeyboards.com Disco RGB TKL
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 21:30:58 »
I registered specifically to say thank you for this thread.  I've been mulling over pulling the trigger on an MK Disco, and you helped push me over the fence.  I had to move to PBT Doubleshots though. ;)

Is there an aluminum case option for this?

I'd love to know what would work as well.  TEX or Vortex cases (if they're ever going to be made available again?)

Yeah i need to get some of these cases just to try. Tex cases are coming back into stock at MK.com and I plan on getting one, plus the massdrop TKL case I need to get my hands on. and sure thing  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 09:58:53 »
Yeah i need to get some of these cases just to try. Tex cases are coming back into stock at MK.com and I plan on getting one, plus the massdrop TKL case I need to get my hands on. and sure thing  :thumb:

That's great news on the cases!  From what I was reading around on the net it seemed like it wasn't looking too good on manufacturing restock anytime soon based on the comments/replies from people.  I've been considering just designing something custom, but I'm also short on time with too many other projects ongoing.  I saw the MD TKL case but wasn't sure on fitment compatibility.  Price was certainly attractive though! 

I should get my Disco tomorrow.  I'm moving from an E-Element with Kailh blacks on it, from MD too.  I'm hoping I'll be happy enough with the Disco where I won't have the 'upgrade bug' any time soon.  ...Fat chance.  ;)  I guess mech decks are like exotic cars -- you can never have enough of them!
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline ZooMas

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 10:59:06 »
The only thing that bugs me about the Disco is how they handled the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock indicators. Instead of having indicator LED's or an extra LED under the little dot on Caps Lock, it's instead that the key's LED itself is the indicator. And there doesn't seem a way to change the color of those LED's either  :eek:. If you take off the Caps key there is even a hole on the plate for the extra LED. Wonder if they could implement some kind of fix with a firmware patch...

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 12:04:37 »
The hole in place over capslock is for per key color customization because you have to hold caps lock and either tap, or hold+cycle f5/f6/f7 to change RGB colors, and it's difficult to see what the current color would be if your finger was covering the caps lock LED.  The shine 4 and shine 5 are set up the exact same way as the Disco is.  The cutout of the small circle LED hole for the second LED is there to make it easier for you to see what color you're selecting.  I do understand the point about having that small circle LED serve a dual function of also being a caps lock LED indicator independently from the main caps lock LED, though.  That would indeed be a better design choice, but keep in mind the Scroll lock and Numlock LED's also function as key indicators also.

The Ducky YOTG Went the other way with that, though.

The Ducky Year of the Goat has dedicated caps /scroll/numlock indicators above the number keypad, as SMD RGB LED's with chassis holes for them, with caps lock accepting a normal backlight pattern with all of the other keys, while also being a macro and set profile indicator, and per key color customization shown through the main caps and circle LED just like the Shine 4/5/Disco, but some have said the indicators which are between the calculator/volume keys and number keypad can be blocked and hard to see at an angle.  But I guess you would probably prefer that method to the existing one?  The Ducky One also has status indicator LED's, and the circle LED on the caps lock isn't used and has no LED at all in the hole (there's a hardware mod where you can solder in a LED yourself and route trace and signal from the dedicated caps LED area to it).

Caps also flashes when changing profile presets (FN+1 through FN+6), if they exist on the Disco as they do on the Shine 5, and for programming macros in profile 2-6 (No idea if macro mode exists on the Disco).

Offline Sduck

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 12:08:11 »
Just got one of these. Great little keyboard! I've had a number of ducky shines over the years, and hopefully will be able to get a shine 5 with blue switches eventually. My disco has the blue switches, and they work fabulously - better than my shine 4 with blues.

So, a question. I'm using this with a mac. With my shine 4, I could use Fn-End for volume down and Fn-PgDn for volume up, but these don't work with the disco. Or any other combination I've tried. Maybe I'm missing something?
x3

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 12:48:16 »
Just got one of these. Great little keyboard! I've had a number of ducky shines over the years, and hopefully will be able to get a shine 5 with blue switches eventually. My disco has the blue switches, and they work fabulously - better than my shine 4 with blues.

So, a question. I'm using this with a mac. With my shine 4, I could use Fn-End for volume down and Fn-PgDn for volume up, but these don't work with the disco. Or any other combination I've tried. Maybe I'm missing something?

I don't currently have a Mac at the house, but i'll try to do it at work on monday, if i dont post here just ping the thread  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 15:18:59 »
As far as I know, the Disco doesn't have macro/media keys yet.  This may be added in a fw update.

Offline Sduck

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 22:54:55 »
Oh - forgot about this thread. FWIW there is a firmware update out that adds media keys to the disco. I've forgotten details on how they work, but it's all on mechanicalkeyboards.com. I updated sometime last year - I was traveling a lot, and often took the disco with me to have a decent keyboard for my macbook pro.
x3