Author Topic: Help with tactile Kailh box switches  (Read 3717 times)

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Help with tactile Kailh box switches
« on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 22:20:09 »
Hi guys, I could use some help if anyone has a recommendation or experience with Kailh box switches. I've tried the box browns but they're not tactile enough. It's a little confusing since it appears there's two ways you can measure the weighting (like actuation vs. bottom-out). What other box switches would you recommend for more tactility?

Also verdict on Kailh's box switches? I'm used to Zealios, which I'm very familiar with but want to try something different.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Help with tactile Kailh box switches
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 22:35:42 »
Hi guys, I could use some help if anyone has a recommendation or experience with Kailh box switches. I've tried the box browns but they're not tactile enough. It's a little confusing since it appears there's two ways you can measure the weighting (like actuation vs. bottom-out). What other box switches would you recommend for more tactility?

Also verdict on Kailh's box switches? I'm used to Zealios, which I'm very familiar with but want to try something different.

try thick clicks or mod Ms
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 22:48:02 »
If you want a purely tactile (not clicky) switch your options directly from Kailh are pretty limited.  There's the "burnt orange" box switch but I think that's the same tactility as the browns you said you tried, just a heavier spring.

You might consider Input Club's Hako switches though (which are made by Kailh anyway and do the box thing too).  Hako Clear is a more traditional tactile switch in line with MX Clear or Zealios.  Hako True has very limited tactility pre actuation but has the interesting feature that the force curve rises sharply post actuation which effectively discourages bottoming out and gives your typing a unique springy feeling.  I feel like I'm raving about these switches all the time these days but they really are quite special.

If you're not attached to the whole box thing Kailh also has their 'pro' line with fairly tactile purple and plum switches.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 22:49:14 »
Ok thanks. Are the Mod Ms clicky? I probably should have specified in the original post that I'm looking for a non-click tactile switch.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 22:51:02 »
If you want a purely tactile (not clicky) switch your options directly from Kailh are pretty limited.  There's the "burnt orange" box switch but I think that's the same tactility as the browns you said you tried, just a heavier spring.

You might consider Input Club's Hako switches though (which are made by Kailh anyway and do the box thing too).  Hako Clear is a more traditional tactile switch in line with MX Clear or Zealios.  Hako True has very limited tactility pre actuation but has the interesting feature that the force curve rises sharply post actuation which effectively discourages bottoming out and gives your typing a unique springy feeling.  I feel like I'm raving about these switches all the time these days but they really are quite special.

If you're not attached to the whole box thing Kailh also has their 'pro' line with fairly tactile purple and plum switches.

OK great. Not attached to boxes, just read some good things about them so I will def give the Hako switches a try.

Offline Harms

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 23:23:44 »
Be warned though.

The mod switches are wobble city.

They have a lot of keycap wobble compared to Kailh and Cherry.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 08:29:53 »
I'd suggest getting samples of Kailh Pro switches.  I built a keypad with Kailh Pro Heavy Plum (70g tactile) switches, and it's pretty good.