Author Topic: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% w/ OLED and Knob (4/25 UPDATE - 5/6 GB START)  (Read 130717 times)

Offline blizzara01

Re: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% Keyboard w/ OLED Screen and Rotary Encoder
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 23:54:18 »
Hey guys I wanted to show off some new encoder/OLED features:

Can it set breathing mode only in one key (Esc) and the others are off?

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 00:44:10 »
The wheel is so cooool.
Really expect someday there would also be a joystick on the kustoms.
That would be interesting.  :D :D

Offline rooski15

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 02:13:58 »
Looks amazing! I'm really excited to see where you take this. :)

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #153 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 02:15:45 »
I really hope a white case option is possible. Can't wait for GB to start.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 02:30:43 »
Really looking forward to this GB, it seems to keep getting better every time I check back in :P

Offline Moac

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 12:26:58 »
I am very much interested and If I could make a suggestion it would be:
Able to display the Clock across the entire display.
A simple countdown alarm for events...have the keys light/flash up as indicators when the time is up. (display shows remaining time until a certain event)

Do you have any ballpark price point of the keyboard? 300+ 400+?
Will the keyboard be able to use Nordic keys layout?

Looking very promising indeed.

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 12:29:44 »
I am very much interested and If I could make a suggestion it would be:
Able to display the Clock across the entire display.
A simple countdown alarm for events...have the keys light/flash up as indicators when the time is up. (display shows remaining time until a certain event)

Do you have any ballpark price point of the keyboard? 300+ 400+?
Will the keyboard be able to use Nordic keys layout?

Looking very promising indeed.

OP have confirmed ISO support  ;)

Offline upas

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 13:17:58 »
Hey guys I wanted to show off some new encoder/OLED features:

Can it set breathing mode only in one key (Esc) and the others are off?

Every key shares the same backlight settings, including breathing.

I really hope a white case option is possible. Can't wait for GB to start.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hopefully this will work out :)

Offline upas

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 13:19:01 »
I placed an order for the 2nd round of prototypes today.

If these prototypes meet the quality bar, I will be using this factory for production as well.

The prototype units should arrive by early next month, and if they are good, the GB will start soon afterwards.

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 16:07:46 »
I placed an order for the 2nd round of prototypes today.

If these prototypes meet the quality bar, I will be using this factory for production as well.

The prototype units should arrive by early next month, and if they are good, the GB will start soon afterwards.
Looking forward to that sexy white!  :thumb:

Offline h9n9n3

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 06:21:30 »
So good to see a nice 75% that makes me want to go back to 75% again...
Bluetooth will be such a nice option if provided.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 09:25:36 »
have to concur.. i thought the Xeno 75% was the bees' knees, but it took way too long to get going and then this beauty came along and stole my heart.

also agree about bluetooth, i am just now realizing the value of going cordless. upas already said no plans for bluetooth, but perhaps in a future iteration..

Offline gt1989

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 10:00:49 »
have to concur.. i thought the Xeno 75% was the bees' knees, but it took way too long to get going and then this beauty came along and stole my heart.

also agree about bluetooth, i am just now realizing the value of going cordless. upas already said no plans for bluetooth, but perhaps in a future iteration..

I felt the same way about Xeno, I was planning on it being the last board I buy. However I'm probably going to end up joining this GB too. Which is fine since this can be my home board and Xeno my work board or vice versa.

Offline Moac

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 10:12:14 »
If I could register a purchase today I would , i am also considering the Xeno or this one. Given that the xeno has no support for ISO layout (no big deal) I am leaning towards this beauty. The dial wheel is what sells it to me , hopefully it will be very tactile.
Hopefully I can get in line before the cut off point:

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 10:39:58 »
This is a guaranteed order for me too.  Hoping a variety of colour options.  Will raw aluminum also be an available option if we want to get it anodized/cerakoted ourselves?

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 11:12:46 »
The dial wheel is what sells it to me , hopefully it will be very tactile.

The dial wheel has got me sold too. It sounds pretty tactile based on the videos.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline Moac

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 11:24:40 »
I don´t know if a calculator would be possible to be included but I think this video is a good example of how final a layout could look.
Perhaps you should come into contact with the guy who made the mod.  (more relevant if any future version is with a numpad)

Include a Countdown timer, I can already see it in front of me... dialing up the time and clicking it in to set it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 February 2019, 16:28:35 by Moac »

Offline ian13

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 20:37:41 »
+1 for the countdown timer. It will help me for when I'm doing laundry. LOL
But seriously, it will be a useful feature. Also hoping to have an e-coated white option as well.

Offline DarkMio

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 06:24:28 »
I don´t know if a calculator would be possible to be included but I think this video is a good example of how final a layout could look.
Perhaps you should come into contact with the guy who made the mod.  (more relevant if any future version is with a numpad)

Include a Countdown timer, I can already see it in front of me... dialing up the time and clicking it in to set it.

I'm going to get that keyboard from the GB and I am pretty familiar with writing QMK software (through the Massdrop CTRL). If the creator doesn't supply a calculator, I'll write you one. It's pretty easy and convenient, too. If you don't mind it being not scientific, it shouldn't take too long to write an implementation on QMK (and I could already prep it on the Massdrop CTRL, too).

Offline Moac

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 08:30:21 »

I'm going to get that keyboard from the GB and I am pretty familiar with writing QMK software (through the Massdrop CTRL). If the creator doesn't supply a calculator, I'll write you one. It's pretty easy and convenient, too. If you don't mind it being not scientific, it shouldn't take too long to write an implementation on QMK (and I could already prep it on the Massdrop CTRL, too).
That’s very kind and appreciated. I think others would also like the idea of a calculator or countdown timer.
I think a regular basic calculator is the best option.
Again , thank you for sharing your knowledge and for your willingness to help.

Hopefully I can grab a keyboard before it’s gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline upas

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 09:00:50 »

I have a lot on my plate already, so I will let you write the calculator :) The actual timer part of the countdown timer would also be not too hard, but making the UI on the OLED could be time consuming. Thank you so much for offering help! If you want to get a head start, feel free to DM me here or on discord - there is hardware available. I'd also love to give support and talk approach with you.

That being said:

While I wish I could personally support every feature suggested, I don't want people to underestimate the work that's already gone into this, and the additional work I already have planned.

No one has used the stm32f072 for the sort of features included here. A ton of work has gone into making this particular chip work with the OLED screen. Real Time Clock is a new thing that to my knowledge, no other GB keyboard has. Writing new views for the OLED screen takes a lot of time and thought. And no one has used the encoder with as many modes as are supported here.

Not to mention, all the work in VIA and QMK that has to be done. I'm constantly trying to add new things, focused mostly on easy configuration so that people don't have to be QMK experts or programmers to get the encoder to do what they want, change keymaps, etc.

I've pretty much selected the set of features I want to support - at this point, any other features won't really make the cut, and will have to be community implemented.

I think a lot of the features suggested here are interesting and good, but there's only so much time I have on top of my day job to work on this while still maintaining my sanity  :cool:

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 10:08:37 »
Totally cool with trying to implement my own ideas for screen and encoder.  As long as your original code will be available for review, to see how you did what you're doing, I should be able to figure it out!

Offline DarkMio

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 10:54:54 »
-snip-

Not to mention, all the work in VIA and QMK that has to be done. I'm constantly trying to add new things, focused mostly on easy configuration so that people don't have to be QMK experts or programmers to get the encoder to do what they want, change keymaps, etc.

I've pretty much selected the set of features I want to support - at this point, any other features won't really make the cut, and will have to be community implemented.

I think a lot of the features suggested here are interesting and good, but there's only so much time I have on top of my day job to work on this while still maintaining my sanity  :cool:

The chip choice is, in my personal opinion, the only thing that may limit it. How much memory does your firmware already take? I guess the LEDs won't be RGB, because you won't be driving RGB + OLED with "just" 48MHz.

So, I guess there is little to change the processor (if you checked the IC google sheet, I suggested another microprocessor there with good headroom) - for building some software I may need a parts + wiring list, I can source most things and got the necessary hardware to cobble something together. Do you have a reduced testbed? I'm hanging around in the QMK discord, so we could move this talk over there.

Offline upas

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 14:35:54 »
-snip-

The chip choice is, in my personal opinion, the only thing that may limit it. How much memory does your firmware already take? I guess the LEDs won't be RGB, because you won't be driving RGB + OLED with "just" 48MHz.

So, I guess there is little to change the processor (if you checked the IC google sheet, I suggested another microprocessor there with good headroom) - for building some software I may need a parts + wiring list, I can source most things and got the necessary hardware to cobble something together. Do you have a reduced testbed? I'm hanging around in the QMK discord, so we could move this talk over there.

I disagree lol, the chip choice is already overkill. This is a keyboard we're talking about here - most run on AVR which are way more limited (most keyboards use atmega32u4, which has a whopping 16 MHz processor with 16 KB of flash space and 1 KB of RAM - in comparison, this has a 48 MHz processor, 128K of flash, and 16 KB of RAM). 48 MHz is more than enough to drive OLED, and would also be enough to drive RGB, but I have chosen not to do that.

In any case - let's sync up on discord. I'm also in the QMK discord so just ping me and we'll get talking!
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2019, 14:52:43 by upas »

Offline rondg

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 17:52:04 »
+1 for the countdown timer! This would help me with my time management when in front of the computer.

Offline Moac

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 12:28:28 »
'Keycap compatibility with most GMK base kits (Need 1.75 shift and 65% right side keys)'

Could someone elaborate on what that means? (not used to keyboard tech)
I am considering buying: GMK Carbon or GMK Honeywell. Will those work? Do I need to buy a special set or will any do? (right side is 65% key sizes?) (do these include the correct size shift and the right side keys?)

« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2019, 12:21:31 by Moac »

Offline nudoh

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 05:07:12 »
Board looks stunning, looking forward to this. Filled out the form :)

Offline MrFurrior

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 14:52:18 »
Any ideas on when this will be released? Really itching to get this one!

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 17:54:51 »
'Keycap compatibility with most GMK base kits (Need 1.75 shift and 65% right side keys)'

I am considering buying: GMK Carbon or GMK Honeywell. Will those work? Do I need to buy a special set or will any do? (right side is 65% key sizes?) (do these include the correct size shift and the right side keys?)
Show Image

This guide by matt30 answers your questions in decent detail https://matt3o.com/anatomy-of-a-keyboard/, but the gist is that most GMK sets have a shift with size 1.75u (1u being the size of the smallest key on a keyboard like the alphas) and correctly profiled keycaps that match the profile of the right modifiers. Whether or not you need a special kit depends on what you buy as different GB runners plan their kits differently. You can see GMK Honeywell on Originative does have these keys included. If you need me to point them out, send me a PM. Keep in mind GMK Carbon has to be bought aftermarket and the image you inked is a render.

Offline Moac

[IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% Keyboard w/ OLED Screen and Rotary Encoder
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 19:35:26 »

Show Image

This guide by matt30 answers your questions in decent detail https://matt3o.com/anatomy-of-a-keyboard/, but the gist is that most GMK sets have a shift with size 1.75u (1u being the size of the smallest key on a keyboard like the alphas) and correctly profiled keycaps that match the profile of the right modifiers. Whether or not you need a special kit depends on what you buy as different GB runners plan their kits differently. You can see GMK Honeywell on Originative does have these keys included. If you need me to point them out, send me a PM. Keep in mind GMK Carbon has to be bought aftermarket and the image you inked is a render.
Thanks for the feedback , a question regarding layout. Would this keyboard support this layout? A sort of hybrid ANSI with ISO Enter and the extra key. (Ignore the number pad and the extra buttons)

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/3fcc90540ef063b4bddb403d799b1152

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2019, 19:40:33 by Moac »

Offline upas

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 22:51:38 »
The second round of prototyping is well underway:

These should be getting finished in the next couple weeks, and I'll likely have them in-hand in early March.

Stay tuned for GB details!

Offline Starston3

« Reply #181 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 22:53:36 »
The second round of prototyping is well underway:

Show Image

These should be getting finished in the next couple weeks, and I'll likely have them in-hand in early March.

Stay tuned for GB details!
Looks good... nice relief cuts.

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 22:54:39 »
That prototype looks great! How does the rotary encoder fit compared to the 3D printed one? Super hyped for this GB :p

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 23:13:49 »
The oled screen is so attractive.

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #184 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 09:52:05 »
Looks nice! Would it be hard to incorporate switch-top opening to the plate?

Offline cfiggis

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 14:45:54 »
Looking forward to this. A nice, unique board concept!

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 21:01:27 »
I am so excited about this board. +1 on the timer. I'd love to see a matching numpad - maybe call it the outrigger to keep it in theme? I'd also do dirty things to get this in submarine yellow.  Think of GMK Nautilus in sub yellow, diving to find the wreck of a pirate ship! 
Anyways I'm definitely in on this, I love the feature set.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 11:34:37 »
Looking at the first proto, second proto and the renders, what will be the bottom row options for the end product?

Renders show 1.5-1.5-7-1.5-1.5
Proto's go a different route, 1,25-1,25-1,25-6,25-1-1-1

Will this be fixed? Triple 1u bottom row might be an issue for older sets. What will be pcb and plate(s) be like? My suggestion woud be 1,25-1,25-1,25-7-1,5-1,5.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 12:16:37 »
Looking at the first proto, second proto and the renders, what will be the bottom row options for the end product?

Renders show 1.5-1.5-7-1.5-1.5
Proto's go a different route, 1,25-1,25-1,25-6,25-1-1-1

Will this be fixed? Triple 1u bottom row might be an issue for older sets. What will be pcb and plate(s) be like? My suggestion woud be 1,25-1,25-1,25-7-1,5-1,5.

PCB support KLE in original post shows support for both, along with standard split space.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #189 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 13:37:19 »
Thank you for reminding me I’m blind. Guess I need new glasses again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jortzii

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 17:55:56 »
I am so excited about this board. +1 on the timer. I'd love to see a matching numpad - maybe call it the outrigger to keep it in theme? I'd also do dirty things to get this in submarine yellow.  Think of GMK Nautilus in sub yellow, diving to find the wreck of a pirate ship! 
Anyways I'm definitely in on this, I love the feature set.

I’m thinking this will be a great board for Nautilus Nightmares, Nines, Eclipse, even the Purple Dragon set. May even be really sick with Bentō. Keeping a close eye on this board for sure

Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline sozo

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 21:23:22 »
Looking forward to this board!

Offline upas

« Reply #192 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 22:51:51 »
Hi guys,

I have a few updates about the prototypes. My manufacturer has some partners that help with anodization, but their usual partner was not able to match the desired navy blue color.
While they could make some quite nice shades of blue, I believe Navy Blue is pretty key to the goal and theme of this board. I told my manufacturer this, so now we are going to use a different partner for anodization.

Unfortunately, that means there is going to be a delay in the prototyping. Once something has been anodized once, the quality will start to decrease drastically when it is stripped and re-anodized. We're essentially starting from scratch with one of the two prototypes, so the group buy will likely be set back a couple weeks.

That said, I really want to deliver on the vision set out in the first page of the IC. I need to ensure the quality of these prototypes is high, so that you will all be pleased with the board :). I'd rather delay the group buy and deliver great results, than rush things and have people be unhappy.

My goal is to start the GB in March. Given this setback, it may be delayed till April, but please trust that it will happen and I am doing my best!

Offline jortzii

« Reply #193 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 22:53:06 »
Hi guys,

I have a few updates about the prototypes. My manufacturer has some partners that help with anodization, but their usual partner was not able to match the desired navy blue color.
While they could make some quite nice shades of blue, I believe Navy Blue is pretty key to the goal and theme of this board. I told my manufacturer this, so now we are going to use a different partner for anodization.

Unfortunately, that means there is going to be a delay in the prototyping. Once something has been anodized once, the quality will start to decrease drastically when it is stripped and re-anodized. We're essentially starting from scratch with one of the two prototypes, so the group buy will likely be set back a couple weeks.

That said, I really want to deliver on the vision set out in the first page of the IC. I need to ensure the quality of these prototypes is high, so that you will all be pleased with the board :). I'd rather delay the group buy and deliver great results, than rush things and have people be unhappy.

My goal is to start the GB in March. Given this setback, it may be delayed till April, but please trust that it will happen and I am doing my best!
Take the time you need to get it right! This board is going to be killer!

Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 22:53:35 »
Better to delay for greatness than settle for anything less

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 23:20:34 »
Best to delay it for it to be perfect and to let us recoup our money  :):cool:

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 23:23:19 »
Take all the time you need Upas, we'll be here!

Offline jortzii

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 00:56:49 »
Best to delay it for it to be perfect and to let us recoup our money  :):cool:
Also this! I need a cool down period, the start of this year has been expensive for boards! Lol

Offline MrFurrior

« Reply #198 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 02:05:42 »
Hi guys,

This makes me happy, better to get it right than to just throw something out there like some people have on here...

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #199 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 05:39:56 »
You took the right decision, the navy blue is really important for me !

Will you share some pics of the new blue proto when you're satisfied about it ?