Author Topic: Apple Keyboard with see through plastic  (Read 14706 times)

Offline Belfong

Apple Keyboard with see through plastic
« on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 08:15:20 »
Is this Apple keyboard a mech or just membrane?

And the funny thing is, Mac OS X Lion and Mountain Lion does not recognize this keyboard when I plugged it in.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
Re: Apple Keyboard with see through plastic
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 08:28:49 »
membrane.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 08:34:58 »
I don't see any switches anywhere, so..
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Belfong

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 08:37:52 »
I thought it could be some linear switch. It's pretty hard to type too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 08:39:37 »
Pull some keycaps and take a picture for us. It's easier for us to ID them that way.

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 09:03:03 »
is it a keyboard 'Pro'?
I have one and it's membrane
used it for painting practice heh

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 09:15:12 »
The keyboard is rubber dome/membrane. It is well known for making visible all the dust and grime that collects in its enclosure.

Apple transitioned from mechanical to rubber domes in 1994, when all Apple keyboards had beige plastic and talked ADB.
There are only two "full-sized" mechanical Apple keyboard models: the Apple Extended Keyboard and the Apple Extended Keyboard II, but both types exist in a few variations with different switches.

There have been third-party mechanical keyboards for the Mac since then, though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 September 2013, 09:17:40 by Findecanor »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 09:54:32 »
I don't know the name if the keyboard, so I am not sure if it is Pro. But yea, it is a dumb design as all the dust and hair are easily seen. I'll see if I can unplug the keys but if it is not mechanical, I don't know if it is easily attach back.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 10:12:49 »
Yeah, that type is definitely rubberdomes. I know there has been someone trying to sell a bunch on eBay, claiming they're mechanical. I tried pointing it out to the guy, trying to be friendly (hey, no one wants negative ratings), and he just called me a troll.

is there any system you have that it is recognized on? May be a dead board. Mine works fine.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 18:18:40 »
Rubber dome. I think the AEK II was the last mech keyboard from Apple, but I may stand corrected on this. Either way, none of the post-Jobs-return Apple keyboards are mechanical.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:39:10 »
We have two of these at work. Not only are they rubberdome, I have used them on OS10.4 - 10.8. If yours does not work, then your keyboard must be broken.

Interestingly enough, I wanted one for a while, as the matrix was optimized a bit better for a game I like to play. Fortunately, I never got one.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:53:04 »
Actually I need to qualify my statement. I said Lion and Mountain Lion does not recognise the keyboard, not that it was broken. When I plugged in, it says unrecognisable keyboard and asked me to go through a wizard where I have to press Z and "?" key. Then it worked. So they are rubberdome keyboards eh? Not surprising. It is not a good keyboard at all.

Offline Surnia

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 02:09:07 »
the linear-like difficulty to type is from the domes being horribly degraded. my university's chemistry library uses them almost exclusively and they're the worst things in the world to both look at, and type on.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 08:47:15 »
 Odd, I have one, and it always has been recognized right away as an Apple keyboard. Weird.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 11:45:21 »
THAT KEYBOARD IS A PIECE OF SHlT. THE WORST FEELING RUBBER DOMES I EVER USED.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 12:22:24 »
THAT KEYBOARD IS A PIECE OF SHlT. THE WORST FEELING RUBBER DOMES I EVER USED.
idk y ur uzng apple

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 12:39:08 »
I guess someone put a sticker of the windows logo over the command button, and it came off to his horror.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 12:54:39 »
NO I'M ACTUALLY TALKING FOR REAL WITH THESE KEYBOARDS. A LOT OF APPLE KEYBOARDS WEREN'T TOO GREAT, BUT THESE WHITE/CLEAR ONES ARE FAR WORSE. PROBABLY THE ABSOLUTE WORST RUBBER DOMES I HAVE EVER USED.

THEY CAME WITH ALL THE G4'S, G5'S, AND CORE 2 DUO MACS THAT WE GOT WHERE I WORKED. WORKED WITH 'EM FOR YEARS AND HATED EVERY TIME I HAD TO PRESS A KEY ON 'EM.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 13:03:37 »
That keyboard is probably too new to have Alps switches.

Wikipedia says that the Apple Extended Keyboard II is mechanical. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Extended_Keyboard

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 20:19:25 »
APPLE MADE KEYBOARDS WITH ALPS SWITCHES DURING THE LATE 1980'S AND EARLY 1990'S. IF YOU SEE ANY OF THESE THEY'LL PROBABLY HAVE ALPS:

THESE KEYBOARDS HERE ARE RUBBER DOME HOWEVER:

AND THESE KEYBOARDS ARE ABSOLUTE GARBAGE:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 21:20:54 »

APPLE MADE KEYBOARDS WITH ALPS SWITCHES DURING THE LATE 1980'S AND EARLY 1990'S. IF YOU SEE ANY OF THESE THEY'LL PROBABLY HAVE ALPS:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

THESE KEYBOARDS HERE ARE RUBBER DOME HOWEVER:
Show Image

Show Image

AND THESE KEYBOARDS ARE ABSOLUTE GARBAGE:
Show Image

What is your opinion of the Apple aluminium keyboard?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 12:48:35 »
I wonder what difference there is in the clear backed white ones with Bluetooth? That's what I have, and doesn't seem bad.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 18:39:26 »
Finally get to unplugging the keycaps.

Looks like Topre version 0.01 Alpha to me :)

For science:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 19:21:06 »
Finally get to unplugging the keycaps.

Looks like Topre version 0.01 Alpha to me :)

For science:
Show Image

Show Image

If it is some sort of Topre, I'm sitting on a gold mine!

Although not literally.

Rubber dome, sadly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 19:27:55 »
I have to agree with Microsoft Windows.

The early Apple keyboards with Alps are very nice and particularly well-built, but the the later ones are horrific.

The one in the OP is one of the most abominable keyboards that my fingers have ever touched.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SonicRevolution

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Qwerkywriter
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 19:29:42 »
I am very familiar with this rubber domed keyboard.  It was my very first MOD attempt before my current all-consuming obsession with all things keyboard related.  The problem with this key "switch" design is the plastic "friction" you feel when you press it.  Those side plastic clips that hold the switch in place functions as a stablizer but end up getting that dry rubbing of two un-lubbed plastic surfaces feel.  Unpleasant.  (didn't mean to sound x-rated)

Below is a pic of the "Mark I" This actually got ruined because I snapped off the USB cable attached to this board.  I guess now my solder-ing skills are decent enough to fix it.  But back then ( a few years ago) I couldn't imagine soldering anything. :D

SonicRevolution
www.qwerkywriter.com
@qwerkywriter on Twitter

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 19:50:25 »
What is your opinion of the Apple aluminium keyboard?

It's so much better than this previous-gen membrane piece of sh**. I find most scissor switch keyboards nicer to type on than normal rubber domes, and Apple's aluminum and laptop keyboards are no exception.
Of course they're miles behind any mechanical switch...but I can put up with using them when I'm out with my macbook.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 22:04:20 »

The one in the OP is one of the most abominable keyboards that my fingers have ever touched.
I gotta agree with you there. This is one of the worst keyboard I have ever used. The keys are hard to press, very rigid and I really do not know who in their right mind design a plastic see through case. I now have this abomination which I am unable to get rid off and it remains a reminder of how bad Apple design was.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 01:39:11 »
Show Image

I need to correct you here: the Apple Keyboard II does not have Alps. They switches are Mitsumi rubber-sleeve hybrid switches (like in most Amiga keyboards) or rubber domes. Sorry for late comment.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 02:47:08 »
Show Image

This one is rubber too. Buckling rubber sleeve with capacitive foam made by Mitsumi :)
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 07:45:42 »

I need to correct you here: the Apple Keyboard II does not have Alps. They switches are Mitsumi rubber-sleeve hybrid switches (like in most Amiga keyboards) or rubber domes.

They were probably being lazy with terminology, it is confusing.

It is the Apple "Extended" Keyboard II that has the dampened creams.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 15:46:48 »
Nope. Apple's official name is "Apple Extended Keyboard II". That's what's written on it. The other one is officially "Apple Keyboard II", which is what is written on that one.

The confusing one is the Apple Standard Keyboard, whose official name is simply "Apple Keyboard". "Standard" is conventionally added to the name to differentiate it from other "Apple Keyboard" products, as opposed to the alternative product, the Apple Extended Keyboard.

There are at least two versions of the Apple Keyboard II. The common one is a bog standard Mitsumi hybrid switch (buckling rubber sleeve) over a single membrane sheet. There is also an Alps-mount version, which has an SMK latching caps lock switch — it's not clear whether SMK made the whole keyboard, or whether the OEM just fitted an SMK switch to a product with completely different switches. There's only one photo of it that I can find, and Ripster stole that from someone else. I've never managed to find diddly about that version, and all the ones I've had were likely Mitsumi (they all felt equally terrible, and the one I have left is Mitsumi).
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline ocodo

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 22:20:27 »
I have a Mexican built Apple Extended Keyboard II, which I can confirm has ALPS switches.  There are also American built units which also have the ALPS switches.

Manufacturing switched to the Mitsumi switches at different times for the manufacturing plants. (unfortunately I don't have useful details of the serial numbers etc.)

I suggest anyone wanting to purchase one, take care that the ALPS switches are used, (the Mitsumi ones are nowhere near as good.)  have the prospective vendor pop off a key and photograph the key switch (preferably with some identifying proof!)  You'll see a switch that looks like these...

(Note the ALPS logo embossed on the switch.)
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 July 2014, 00:31:38 by ocodo »

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 00:16:45 »
I'm in the minority, and find the typing experience on these plastic keyboards relatively good.  I use this keyboard as my home daily driver on my HP Box.  I agree that the see through Apple clear case design is stupid, as lots of **** gets trapped in there and it's a pain in the ass to clean.  Windows Vista recognizes the keyboard, and the volume up/down/mute works.  The Apple Key activates the Windows Start button.  I like the 2 USB ports. 

I'm awaiting my Model F XT, and this will be my new home daily driver.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 00:31:51 »
I have a Mexican built Apple Extended Keyboard II, which I can confirm has ALPS switches.  There are also American built units which also have the ALPS switches.

Manufacturing switched to the Mitsumi switches at different times for the manufacturing plants. (unfortunately I don't have useful details of the serial numbers etc.)
You’re talking about a different keyboard than the “Apple Keyboard II” under discussion above. Most “Apple Extended Keyboard II” variants have Alps switches, and a few have Mitsumi mechanical switches, but none are rubber domes.

Also, nice thread necro. :-)
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 July 2014, 00:38:04 by jacobolus »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 03:36:52 »

I suggest anyone wanting to purchase one, take care that the ALPS switches are used, (the Mitsumi ones are nowhere near as good.)  have the prospective vendor pop off a key and photograph the key switch (preferably with some identifying proof!)  You'll see a switch that looks like these...

Show Image

(Note the ALPS logo embossed on the switch.)

An older thread, but an interesting addition - thanks!

Also, welcome to Geekhack :)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 04:15:30 »
Yikes! It's my old thread. I still have this keyboard. WTS!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 06:06:30 »
Yikes! It's my old thread. I still have this keyboard. WTS!!

:))

I have one of these too!  And one of the similar Apple black and clear keyboards.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 06:14:33 »
Abomination!

Shall we burn it to ashes?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 06:35:44 »
The black one's better than the white one.  The white one's space bar stabiliser is broken, half the keys stick, and the clear plastic case is full of crap.

Offline spaceslut

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 10:47:10 »
I just registered here to say these keyboards are made to test the will of a person.

I have been using them for a total of 7 years. 3 years in my old office first a Q US config, then a Turkish F config until both died due to coffee spill. Tried to save them unsuccessfully. The wiring layer proves difficult to chemically clean.

last 4 years I have been using a Q US config, that I bought from a flea market. It has survived quite well and proved to be a tough companion. now due to extreme dirt build the keys actually need to be striked with will and force in order to get some words going.

These keyboards kinda gives me a more lifelike experience than any other generic brands. Thought I gotta say i like them.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 October 2018, 10:49:10 by spaceslut »