Author Topic: Looking for a good wireless mouse. Any Logitech MX Master 3 users?  (Read 15015 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Some time ago I have bought Logitech MX Master 3 mouse.

A soon as turned it on, I noticed a weird feeling, like a lag, some kind of latency when moving it around. I had so huge hopes about this and immediately it all went to bin, couldn't stnad this feeling - returned it within 30 minutes...

After a while I started to think - this can't be - the best bluetooth mouse cannot be that bad...

Was there some kind of settings I missed? Was it really that bad? Was I doing something wrong?

I'm now after a good wireless mouse, any recommendations?
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2020, 14:19:46 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline blighty

Re: Any Logitech MX Master 3 users?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 08:56:18 »
If your bluetooth is on the same chip as your wireless, that could be causing your lag. 

edit:  caffeine
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 09:14:08 »
If your bluetooth is on the same chip as your wireless, that could be causing your lag. 

edit:  caffeine

Don't know, maybe I have, its Gigabyte Z390I Aorus Pro itx mobo.

If it is, what can I do to fix it?

I felt like when I was moving the mouse, cursor was about 0.25s slower in response. VERY annoying, this is why I returned it, but want to have wireless mouse so bad...:(
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline blighty

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 09:23:03 »
My solution was to use the logitech unifying receiver?  My experience with the bluetooth lag was on a Surface Pro 2 and a X1 Carbon (gen 3), and using the Logitech's dongle seemed to fix things.  I've also had input issues when having a mouse (wired or dongle) connected to a dock, when I also had my network running through it, but I think that's down to either the processing power of the dock or too many network connections/things plugged in.
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 17:40:14 »
Clearly phinix has got the semi-awakened Sharingan going on. 

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 02:34:55 »
My solution was to use the logitech unifying receiver?  My experience with the bluetooth lag was on a Surface Pro 2 and a X1 Carbon (gen 3), and using the Logitech's dongle seemed to fix things.  I've also had input issues when having a mouse (wired or dongle) connected to a dock, when I also had my network running through it, but I think that's down to either the processing power of the dock or too many network connections/things plugged in.

I guess I woul dneed to use receiver, but thing is I wanted a mouse with BT, that was a main reason for it.

Clearly phinix has got the semi-awakened Sharingan going on. 

Yep, that's what has happened :))

Offline Suavity

• Smile more! 🙂
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 05:57:23 »
You're not the only one experiencing the lag from the mice. I recently bought 2 of the MX Master 3 for Mac Mices and ironically, they were terrible on my Macbook Pro. Lag and cursor skipping for days. Pretty much unacceptable for a wireless mouse at its price point (and because the versions of the Mice that I got were specifically designed for Mac compatibility). My Logitech G9x that I've been using for nearly a decade outperforms it in. *shrugs* Needlessly to say, I returned them within a day.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 06:42:56 »
I don't know how fair of a review that is, especially given how popular the mouse is.

I've got two MX Master 3 - one at home and one at work. I find no connection issues or lag at all using either BT on my iPad or the wireless dongle on my PC.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline yui

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 07:00:21 »
from what i have read Bluetooth will have more latency than the unified receiver any which way you put it. the unified receiver uses a proprietary protocol optimized for that job while Bluetooth is as universal and slow as can be.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 07:17:18 »
from what i have read Bluetooth will have more latency than the unified receiver any which way you put it. the unified receiver uses a proprietary protocol optimized for that job while Bluetooth is as universal and slow as can be.

Sure, it'll also depend on a few other factors like interference.

I've just changed my MX 3 over from the unified receiver to Bluetooth (Intel® CNVi  on an Z390 Aorus Master) and can't feel much difference in performance.

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 07:44:00 »

Sure, it'll also depend on a few other factors like interference.

I've just changed my MX 3 over from the unified receiver to Bluetooth (Intel® CNVi  on an Z390 Aorus Master) and can't feel much difference in performance.

That is why I have a feeling that there was some setting set up incorrectly, that is why I felt this issue.
I just don't want to order it again to run tests. I want to make sure first what it was to get it again - I hate dissapointment ;)

Offline jamster

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 07:53:18 »
I'm having the same issues with an Anywhere 2S over BT. Previously had used the receiver and no issues. Paired with a (new) laptop, the mouse is occasionally laggy. I'll have go and find the receiver again.

Edit: Found the unifying receiver, mouse response is noticeably improved.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2020, 21:06:41 by jamster »

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 08:14:10 »
Now I'm looking at Razer Mamba Wireless.... But its only 30 hours long, would need to charge it every second day.

« Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2020, 14:21:01 by phinix »

Offline phinix

Re: Looking for a good wireless mouse. Any Logitech MX Master 3 users?
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 14:21:09 »
Which wireless mouse would you guys recommend?

MX Anywhere 2S? (1680hrs)
G703? (60hrs)
Razer Mamba Wireless? (60hrs)
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2020, 14:40:58 by phinix »

Offline jamster

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 21:21:05 »

G703? (60hrs)

Any mouse where I had to consciously think about charging on a regular basis would be very irritating. I know that there are wireless charging options for the G703 and the Razer, but I believe these are not cheap (and keeping lithium batteries constantly topped up to 100% is the best way to shorten their lifespan).

Offline phinix

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 03:21:42 »

G703? (60hrs)

Any mouse where I had to consciously think about charging on a regular basis would be very irritating. I know that there are wireless charging options for the G703 and the Razer, but I believe these are not cheap (and keeping lithium batteries constantly topped up to 100% is the best way to shorten their lifespan).

Yeah, sounds liek those short battery time mice are a bit off, like you said I would need to constantly think about charging again, every night plugin them back in... nightmare...

Right now I have MX Anywhere 2S - grey - in the basket, about to hit BUY NOW button :)
I like the idea of having bright color mouse again.. this off-white/grey version is cool. Plus I would only need to charge it every 3 months.

On the other hand.. I'm worried it will be too small...
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 August 2020, 03:29:12 by phinix »

Offline phinix

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 17:01:02 »
So I bought this MX Anywhere 2S.
Then after 1 hour, sent it back... :(

It worked amazingly, 100% what I expected from wireless mouse, this is how MX Master 3 should have worked, when I bought it.
Worked fine, with BT and with dongle.

Why did I send it back? Size. It was unfortunately too small. I felt like I was holding it with two fingers most of the time as my hand wasn't even touching it. it was THAT small.
Jeeeeesus f christ...

OK. So what's next? G703? Or G Pro?
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2020, 17:13:44 by phinix »

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 18:09:28 »
I honestly think you just got unlucky with the unit of MX Master 3 you had, because I’ve had two that have worked fine in both BT and dongle mode.

Offline Suavity

• Smile more! 🙂
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 18:22:12 »
Logitech G604? I use for work and works fine, albeit not as "claw-grip-like" as I'd like but gets the job done, given the 9 extra macros that are available on the mouse.

Offline jamster

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 20:35:05 »
I honestly think you just got unlucky with the unit of MX Master 3 you had, because I’ve had two that have worked fine in both BT and dongle mode.

I've got the same problem, and a bit of Googling suggests that it's not uncommon. I'm running the latest BT drivers on my Thinkpad, have no other BT devices nearby. BT is laggy, the dongle works fine.

Offline pewpewnii

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 22:50:46 »

OK. So what's next? G703? Or G Pro?

I'm G pro wireless user but I think you have a larger hand? So G703 is good for you, and yeah Logitech wireless mice will probably better than razer so just go for it.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 02:43:40 »
I've got the same problem, and a bit of Googling suggests that it's not uncommon. I'm running the latest BT drivers on my Thinkpad, have no other BT devices nearby. BT is laggy, the dongle works fine.

Interesting, I've tried with a PC, a laptop, an iPad and a Galaxy Tab and found no lag issues. It's fascinating (from a tech support kind of standpoint, anyway) that it's presenting so inconsistently

Offline LASERman Projects

• Soldering is my native language.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 03:35:09 »

G703? (60hrs)
Razer Baselisk/Viper Ultimate, beats others with charging dock - you don't care about battery life anymore (although it is impressive).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline pewpewnii

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 03:39:30 »

G703? (60hrs)
Razer Baselisk/Viper Ultimate, beats others with charging dock - you don't care about battery life anymore (although it is impressive).

From the experience of using Viper Ultimate, I don't think the BT connection is very stable.

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 03:45:09 »

Interesting, I've tried with a PC, a laptop, an iPad and a Galaxy Tab and found no lag issues. It's fascinating (from a tech support kind of standpoint, anyway) that it's presenting so inconsistently
1. Bluetooth implementation varies regardless official specifications. Some pairs (this laptop and this mode) may not talk to each other very well.
2. Bluetooth is prone to your local radio environment and you may have no idea about some interference sources nearby.
3. Bluetooth was not designed for fast lag free communication, every pro gamer advise to avoid it not only for mouse and keyboard but other gear like headset.

Therefore please do not blame any particular mouse and appreciate the fact MX Master has it as one of the connection options.
IMO it should be described as "alternative" option not main way to connect.

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 03:46:10 »

G703? (60hrs)

From the experience of using Viper Ultimate, I don't think the BT connection is very stable.
I am talking about Razer RF dongle ONLY

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 05:05:00 »
2. Bluetooth is prone to your local radio environment and you may have no idea about some interference sources nearby.

Sure, though I’d argue that you’d have to have an extremely busy RF space to be serious affected thanks to the adaptive frequency hopping that BT does. It’s purely anecdotal, but I’ve found BT perfectly functional in both a home environment with a lot of IoT devices operating in the 2.4GHz space as well as in an office environment with a lot of wireless devices operating in that space too.

As you say though, if you’re using a PC without a hard limit on ports (thanks to hubs) there’s really no reason not to just use the dongle, since Logitech have really nailed their wireless in that regard.

Offline phinix

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 11:22:09 »
OK, last night I foudn new Razer mouse - PRO CLICK.
So ordered it today.
Looks like similar shape to MX Master 3, but more subtle curves in my opinion. Shape wise should be better for me than MX3.
Will see....

EDIT: just got a message from DHL that it is on its way. Thing is, it says its coming from Hong KOng! So I will have to pay vat and custom fees! WHen I was on theirs ide, it told me to switch to UK site, so I thought I'm buying from UK! Now I don't know if I should keep the order, or cancel it, as on top of 90 quid, I will get around 25 extra to pay... #^%$$(%(*&$&(&^#$  >:D
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 August 2020, 06:33:58 by phinix »

Offline phinix

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 12:57:25 »
Razer came in today. I think this is it :)

Feels great in my hand, works great on wireless, looks great, nice off-white and grey colors. I even set some macros in the bottons, cool:)

And I didn't have to pay tax and customs, so got it for £89.99 delivered:)

« Last Edit: Wed, 26 August 2020, 15:44:36 by phinix »

Offline jamster

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 21:22:30 »
Huh, they co-branded with a good furniture design company. Seems kind of random! Looks good though. I gather, from your previous comments, that it's a pretty large sized mouse? Hard to tell from the photo.

Offline phinix

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 04:44:01 »
Huh, they co-branded with a good furniture design company. Seems kind of random! Looks good though. I gather, from your previous comments, that it's a pretty large sized mouse? Hard to tell from the photo.

Well, is bigger than that Anywhere 2s mouse, but in size it is pretty much similar to standard - for example its same size as Logitech MX518 - only it has tilted profile a bit.