Author Topic: GH CAD Resources Hub  (Read 370338 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: GH CAD Resources Hub
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 19:26:22 »
I'm trying to put mounting holes in my dxf file. Does anyone have a drawing for a poker case compatible plate I can overlay. If what I'm saying doesn't make sense it's because I don't know what I'm doing. Please be kind :)
The file I use is not exactly precise with regard to where the mounting holes are in relation to the PCB. It overcomes the lack of precision by having the holes be larger than necessary. I don't think you really want that. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 19:32:47 »
I'm trying to put mounting holes in my dxf file. Does anyone have a drawing for a poker case compatible plate I can overlay. If what I'm saying doesn't make sense it's because I don't know what I'm doing. Please be kind :)
The file I use is not exactly precise with regard to where the mounting holes are in relation to the PCB. It overcomes the lack of precision by having the holes be larger than necessary. I don't think you really want that. :(

I'm just getting used to draft sight now. With the previously attached file is all I have to do is add the holes and widen the border?

Offline a7hanat0s

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 05:04:10 »
Sorry if this is a noob question but im looking at the "phantom plates" file and im having an issue where the dimensions of the plates are 5.302mm x 13.982mm instead of 119mm x 344mm. Am I doing something wrong or is it the file? I checked it out using FreeCAD, Inkscape, and OpenSCAD.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 06:53:43 »
Sorry if this is a noob question but im looking at the "phantom plates" file and im having an issue where the dimensions of the plates are 5.302mm x 13.982mm instead of 119mm x 344mm. Am I doing something wrong or is it the file? I checked it out using FreeCAD, Inkscape, and OpenSCAD.
Sounds like the dimensions are in inches, not mm.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline gcb

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 03:16:43 »
man, that drawing on the official cherry pdf is utter useless. it has zero measurements required for anyone designing a plate... sigh...

anyway, i just uploaded a simple model (in openSCAD) here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:421524

it has all the correct measurements to 1. attach keycaps. 2. attach to a plate. everything else is a gross approximation :)

license is share-alike. fwiiw... and there are versioned source at bitbucket (github for grownups :) that you can fork/etc...

Offline gcb

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 04:54:01 »
Added the only picture with measurements that i could find in this thead to mm. (wth, SAE? are you guys fro real? :)

anyone can help me with the mount that only has the extra 4 spaces (2x2)? i think that is the best one.... can't find the exact measurements for that one.

Offline Lubed Up Slug

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 23:00:52 »
Where are the screw holes located between the ] and \ key and the tab and q for a 60% plate?  Are the screw holes just in the middle of the two switches? Also what is the radius of them?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 08:53:31 »
Where are the screw holes located between the ] and \ key and the tab and q for a 60% plate?  Are the screw holes just in the middle of the two switches? Also what is the radius of them?

If you center them between the two switches, and use a raduis of 3.175mm, the fact that they aren't perfectly aligned with the screw holes will be compensated by their size. That's what I use. :)

in memoriam

Offline Lubed Up Slug

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 12:39:12 »

If you center them between the two switches, and use a raduis of 3.175mm, the fact that they aren't perfectly aligned with the screw holes will be compensated by their size. That's what I use. :)

Cool thanks  :thumb:

Also can I make the plate compatible with both a pure and poker layout by using the 2.75 universal switch cutout?

It seems to look like it would.

« Last Edit: Sat, 23 August 2014, 12:44:41 by Lubed Up Slug »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 14:53:08 »

Also can I make the plate compatible with both a pure and poker layout by using the 2.75 universal switch cutout?

Show Image

Yes, but then you MUST use PCB mount stabilizers. Because you just cut away the area in the plate where stabilizers would mount.

in memoriam

Offline Lubed Up Slug

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 15:08:52 »

Show Image

Yes, but then you MUST use PCB mount stabilizers. Because you just cut away the area in the plate where stabilizers would mount.

So do I need to use this cutout with the little tabs on the bottom? Is there another that would also get the left side of what would be the shift switch in a pure layout for more stability? Or maybe even a shorter cutout with the tabs for the stabs off centered? I'll draw a mockup of what I was thinking when i get home.

Offline petterroea

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 00:14:48 »
Is there any teensy 3.1 layouts avallable for tinycad or eagle?
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 October 2014, 04:49:56 by petterroea »

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 16:08:49 »
Is ISO Enter for Cherry MX usually stab bar open inward or open outward?
For 60% / Poker II compatible plate, what is the dimensions on x and y for edge of the plate, as well as distance from edges relative to the Esc key? Is the corners filet at 0.0787in / 2mm?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 05:25:14 »
I'll be updating some of the files hopefully by the end of the weekend and also update the OP.

Things to update:
- Update plate components to include alps-only switch cutouts (For non-stab requiring keys) and hybird MX-Alps switch cutouts.
- Update plate components to be colored coded so it is easier to organise and remove extra drawings
- Update plate components to include stabilizer cutouts for setups using acrylic plates with PCB-mount stabs
- Add to OP: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:421524
- Add to OP: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47744.msg1384268#msg1384268
- Fix Dropbox file links
- Thumbnails for the files that don't already have one

If there is anything else, please let me know.

I also hopefully sometime in the near future intend to post the completed, fixed acrylic cases for the other projects I had started such as the TKL/60%/1800/Lube stattion/GHPad/QazPad/etc. No promises though. :D

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 06:06:47 »
it's really file mx cad i can make clone :))
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 16:46:52 »
I added a sample MX mounting plate to the second post as an attachment at the end (60%, ANSI 125 layout).

in memoriam

Offline pksk

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 21:51:18 »
Does anybody have a .dwg for a keyboard with with Matias ALPS switches?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 22:18:43 »
Does anybody have a .dwg for a keyboard with with Matias ALPS switches?

You just need this picture. It's a rectangular hole 12.9x15.6mm. Still 19.05mm spacing center to center. :)

in memoriam

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 23:56:49 »
You just need this picture [for Alps/Matias plates]. It's a rectangular hole 12.9x15.6mm. Still 19.05mm spacing center to center. :)

Show Image

This differs from all the specs I’ve seen, which call for 12.8 x 15.5mm switch holes, with tolerances of -0.0 / +0.1 mm for each dimension. If your hole gets to be 12.95 x 15.65, which your diagram specifies as okay, the switch starts to be a bit loose, though it should still work.

The ideal width also slightly depends on the thickness of the plate. I highly recommend making a test plate in whatever material/process you plan to use, with switch holes of various dimensions, before making your final copy.

Personally I find that 12.7 x 15.45 holes work well enough for the switches I’ve tried (but any smaller and it gets iffy), so I’d aim for dimensions of 12.8x15.5 +/- 0.05mm.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 October 2014, 01:01:59 by jacobolus »

Offline pksk

« Reply #169 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 01:29:10 »
Thanks friends, those measurements will be helpful. This CAD thing is really hitting me where it hurts (the brain). I can't seem to get the spacings or the measurements worked out at all. So many levels of zoom and different grids and blurg.

Anyway, these resources are still helpful, so thanks! :))

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 08:04:48 »
Does any one know what the distance from the keycaps to the inner edge of the top part that's usually used is? I'm trying to design a housing and assume that it would be the same with the gaps between 2 keycaps (and so what is it by the way?)

:D
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 08:42:44 »
I don't really understand your question, an illustration would be immensely helpful

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 17:26:15 »
Does any one know what the distance from the keycaps to the inner edge of the top part that's usually used is? I'm trying to design a housing and assume that it would be the same with the gaps between 2 keycaps (and so what is it by the way?)
Gap between keycaps depends on the keycaps. Some are bigger than others, but center-to-center spacing is almost always consistent (.75 inches). You’ll need to look at a spec sheet, or bust out some calipers, if you want to find how much space there is with your specific keycaps.

Same goes for any part of a case that sits next to the keycaps. The gap varies dramatically from one keyboard to the next. If you’re making your own case, use however much space you personally prefer.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 04:18:09 »

:D

2.5mm is the bare minimum (I usually add something on my custom cases depending on material and case design)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 14:41:16 »
SP's DCS caps are .715" square for the single unit caps.  Use .75" spacing between switch centers and the math isn't that hard.  Other profile caps can be a touch different as well as caps from other companies such as BSP and GMK.  SP's DSA caps are a touch closer together at the bottom of the skirt.  Though I am not sure how much.  This is just from the difference in how my wire cap puller fits between keys of different profiles.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 16:37:08 »
SP's DCS caps are .715" square for the single unit caps.[...] SP's DSA caps are a touch closer together at the bottom of the skirt.
DSA are .725" square.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 01:18:13 »
wow thank you guys :D
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 08:11:26 »
After all these months of use, am I the first to notice an error in this?  There are switch patterns for everything from 1.0x to 2.75x, but there seem to be TWO 2.25x patterns.  It appears that the 2.50x pattern is wrongly labeled "2.25".  (Is there actually a 2.50x keycap anyhow?)

The published version has vectorized labels, so I cannot correct this.  So I am reporting it instead.

But if someone can and will fix that item, perhaps they could address some or all of the following:

- The ISO Enter key pattern is not labeled at all.  (It is the one that looks like a 1.25x2.0 vertical pattern.  It is not.)
 - The 6.0x spacebar pattern only covers the Cherry offset 6.0x spacebar, not the SP 6.0x spacebar.
 - Spacing for simple Costar stabilizers are missing entirely.
 - There is no author, version, source, scale, or copyright label at all.

This isn't my document, and I am just using a free copy of DraftSight, so I can't fix these things.  I can use it as-is, and probably so can anyone else who can design a plate, but it should probably be fixed nevertheless.

TL;DR The 2.50x switch pattern is mis-labeled. I can't fix that or some other things myself, so I am reporting it.

Thanks!

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.

Individual components for designing plates (DWG) This has pretty much all the different sized key units, including universal key units for mods based on the excellent work by WhiteFireDragon on the GH60 plates. I would also like to give a shout out to jdcarpe for his brilliant work in designing plates, which was the foundation for this work.

Show Image

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 08:34:02 »
Thanks Ron, for finding these issues, I should probably address some of those things ASAP, which I will most likely in the weekend. Sorry for the delay, but I'm extremely busy at work this week as I just had a software deployment today, so the next few days are going to be a bit hectic.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 09:14:20 »
Thanks Ron, for finding these issues, I should probably address some of those things ASAP, which I will most likely in the weekend. Sorry for the delay, but I'm extremely busy at work this week as I just had a software deployment today, so the next few days are going to be a bit hectic.

Thanks for the quick reply.  Enjoy the post-deploy happiness!

FYI, I found specs for Costar switch stabs, but NOT spacebar stabs.  (I need 7x for my prototype GH-122.)
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/costar-stabilizer-plate-measurements-t5872.html
http://deskthority.net/resources/image/8093

Again, I'd fix the doc myself, but I have crappy CAD software ATM.

Best regards,

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 09:31:55 »
Thanks for the reference image.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 09:45:05 »

Thanks for the quick reply.  Enjoy the post-deploy happiness!

FYI, I found specs for Costar switch stabs, but NOT spacebar stabs.  (I need 7x for my prototype GH-122.)
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/costar-stabilizer-plate-measurements-t5872.html
http://deskthority.net/resources/image/8093

Again, I'd fix the doc myself, but I have crappy CAD software ATM.

Best regards,

- Ron | samwisekoi

The hole dimensions are of course the same for spacebar stabs, but for 7x the distance from switch center to stab hole center would be 57.15mm. FYI, there are NO 7x Costar stab wires, so you would need to bend your own.

in memoriam

Offline Lubed Up Slug

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 18:43:09 »

Show Image

One interesting thing I noticed about this switch cutout is that you can use two switches to act as the stabs for a right shift key and not have any middle switch. This probably only works for handwiring because you can move the switches around a little more but just a nice thing to know.

Just one small question, will these stab cutouts support Costar stabs?

« Last Edit: Wed, 26 November 2014, 19:04:05 by Lubed Up Slug »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 21:55:16 »
Where are the screw holes lo.cated between the ] and \ key and the tab and q for a 60% plate?  Are the screw holes just in the middle of the two switches? Also what is the radius of them?

Show Image

One interesting thing I noticed about this switch cutout is that you can use two switches to act as the stabs for a right shift key and not have any middle switch. This probably only works for handwiring because you can move the switches around a little more but just a nice thing to know.

Just one small question, will these stab cutouts support Costar stabs?

Show Image

Yes it will support both costar and cherry plate and PCB mount iirc
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 22:01:31 »
Sure will. :thumb:

in memoriam

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 21:31:56 »
Could someone turn this layout into a 6mm thick top piece/plate, sort of like sprit's 2S case?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 23:39:19 »
Yes, but the switches won't lock in, they'll stay in place but not snap in.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #187 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 01:04:11 »
Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #188 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 23:25:46 »
Or at least does someone have the files for sprit's 2S case or a similar 60% case where the top layer is also the plate?

Offline Lubed Up Slug

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 01:16:16 »
Or at least does someone have the files for sprit's 2S case or a similar 60% case where the top layer is also the plate?

Well I think you could just extend the area around the switch cutouts on a regular 60% plate and put some screw holes on the corners or whatever. But if you want it to work with sprit's case you would need to get the measurements and align the plate screw holes with the case screw holes and make sure they are the same size.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #190 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 01:58:27 »

Is the sprit PCB compatible with poker/pure?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:20:22 »

It looks pretty standard to me. I just want to do a case somewhat similar to that and wanted to get an accurate price estimate

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #192 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:56:34 »

It looks pretty standard to me. I just want to do a case somewhat similar to that and wanted to get an accurate price estimate

Yes it is compatible, I had/sold one of his 60% builds. You are basically just looking for a 5mm 60% plate that is poker compatible? Or did I miss something?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:57:45 »
Check the 60% acrylic case thread, I might (No promises) upload a new version which has some minor fixes. But the case design should be functional for the sprit 60%, you might have to change the plate layer to your layout.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 19:30:15 »

Yes it is compatible, I had/sold one of his 60% builds. You are basically just looking for a 5mm 60% plate that is poker compatible? Or did I miss something?
Kinda, though looking back now I forgot to actually include the layout in question: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/312bd7677ad391eaf933b63e7771670e
I was thinking the case would be something like the JD40 cases in that there would be just a top and bottom layer and spacers in the middle, so all I'd need would be a plate similar in size to that layout or standard 60% and the same thing without switch cutouts for the bottom plate
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 December 2014, 19:40:02 by hwood34 »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 19:59:34 »

Kinda, though looking back now I forgot to actually include the layout in question: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/312bd7677ad391eaf933b63e7771670e
I was thinking the case would be something like the JD40 cases in that there would be just a top and bottom layer and spacers in the middle, so all I'd need would be a plate similar in size to that layout or standard 60% and the same thing without switch cutouts for the bottom plate
In a week or two my plate building tool should be at a point where I can automate the generation of that plate and the associated layers to make either a jd40 style case with spacers or a full layered sandwich case.  I still have to get a plate cut with all my cutouts to verify they all work perfectly because I drew most of my cutouts from scratch based on specs.

I am hoping to have something online that people can start playing with soon. I will have to have a disclaimer on there till I have had a chance to test all of my cutouts.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 20:44:09 »

In a week or two my plate building tool should be at a point where I can automate the generation of that plate and the associated layers to make either a jd40 style case with spacers or a full layered sandwich case.  I still have to get a plate cut with all my cutouts to verify they all work perfectly because I drew most of my cutouts from scratch based on specs.

I am hoping to have something online that people can start playing with soon. I will have to have a disclaimer on there till I have had a chance to test all of my cutouts.
Ooh, that sounds really cool :thumb: Look forward to trying it out

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 22:03:29 »

Ooh, that sounds really cool :thumb: Look forward to trying it out
You can see the progress so far and add comments and suggestions in my thread dedicated to the topic. The link is in my signature. I will try to post the URL here, but tapatalk my be stupid, we will see.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65189.0

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 23:45:44 »
If anyone in here is interested in my plate building tool, I just posted some of the initial themed mockups of the UI I am working on for the tool.  Let me know if you guys have suggestions, questions, etc...

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65189.msg1576318#msg1576318

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #199 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 15:03:35 »
So how much do the switch cutouts add to the price of cutting material?