Author Topic: Ginger Bread Computer  (Read 3726 times)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Ginger Bread Computer
« on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 10:57:37 »
A few friends of mine entered a ginger bread competition and took home second place with their ginger bread 'computer'. I thought you all would appreciate this.

ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Ginger Bread Computer
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 11:09:45 »
2017, Dudes making gingerbread houses..  We've come a long way.

Is that suppose to be watercooled ?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 13:02:41 »
I think that is supposed to resemble circuit boards and wires.

... and I suppose that the competition was not about baking a gingerbread thing, but to decorate a house that someone had already made them. Otherwise, you could have got way more creative.

I bake gingerbread houses for some Christmases. I once baked a gingerbread Snowspeeder from Star Wars - ESB.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 13:22:37 »
I think that is supposed to resemble circuit boards and wires.

... and I suppose that the competition was not about baking a gingerbread thing, but to decorate a house that someone had already made them. Otherwise, you could have got way more creative.

You are very correct. This was not at all a test in baking gingerbread, but decorating instead.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 03:26:43 »
A gingeputer!  Mmmmmm tasty.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 08:11:35 »
I've had gingerbread.. although it didn't taste much like ginger..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 08:56:52 »
In many other European languages, the word for gingerbread translates literally to "pepper cookie" but it does not contain pepper either. In older times they were made primarily for medicine, and contained a higher amount of various spices and no sugar.

The usual recipes nowadays contain ginger but often also equal amounts of ground clove and cinnamon. Common is also cardamon, Seville orange zest (dried and ground, not pieces) and sometimes nutmeg or mace.
About the same combination of spices are in mulled wine and in British "mincemeat pie" (+allspice, with fruits but no meat!).

Besides the common crispy cookies, there are some thicker, softer varieties.
The German "lebkuchen" (often connected to Nuremberg) has nuts and pieces of orange zest and can also come in various flavours, like chocolate, apple or cherry. For the past years, I have bought some of these for Christmas as well. I have even tried baking them but not succeeded well.