Author Topic: Making Jailhouse Blues for my DZ60  (Read 2791 times)

Offline mike-y

Making Jailhouse Blues for my DZ60
« on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 19:15:00 »
Made a quick video on using J-spacers from TheVanKeyboards to make a set of jailhouse blue switches for my DZ60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImayRHg7na4

it's pretty easy actually.  I ended up using a bunch of Outemu blue switches I stole from a cheap keyboard I had lying around, and used them for my DZ60 project with the Jailhouse mod.  I used a gateron switch in the video, because they are easier to open, but otherwise the mod works the same way.

Typing feel changes quite a bit.  the mod turns the clicky switch into a tactile switch that has the bump at the very top of the stroke.  There is little to no freeplay, as the click jacket position is lower on the stem after the mod.  The spacer also decreases the travel a little bit, and cushions the bottom-out feel.  It makes the switch feel a bit like a topre switch to me actually.  The mod also makes the switches a lot quieter, as the j-spacer acts as a damper when the key bottoms out.

I actually like it quite a bit, but it is a different feel than a normal cherry switch, so I can see that it's not for everyone.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
Re: Making Jailhouse Blues for my DZ60
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 23:12:00 »
Cool video, but what is that horrible noise in the background?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline mike-y

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 18:16:46 »
I mounted the camera right next to an LED strip light, and I think the camera mic pics up the hum from the voltage regulator in the light.  I didn't notice it until after I recorded the video.  it was the first time I tried that mounting location, so I guess I'll have to figure out something else.

Offline noSatellite

• perpetual n00b
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 17:04:52 »
Glad I ran across this! I just grabbed a $35.00 81-key board off Amazon, to see what the layout is like. It came with Otemu blues - so, of course I thought that it would be a good opportunity to try the jailhouse mod!

The switches that came with this board are pretty loose - lots of wobble in the stem. Were yours similar? Did the mod help with it at all?
What I lack in time, resources, and knowledge I make up for in passion, enthusiasm and ignorance.

Offline mike-y

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 21:30:21 »
Actually the mod does help a bit with the wobble.  I did notice they were a little tighter feeling afterwards.