Author Topic: Designing a custom case, what CAD tool?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline awhitedev

Designing a custom case, what CAD tool?
« on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 08:57:32 »
Hello fellow Geekhackers...

As the title suggests... I'm looking to have a keyboard case made for a custom project I'm working on. I'm thinking a sandwich style case with m.2 screws would be the easiest. However, I'd like to have a top layer cut specifically for the layout I'm working on. Using swill's tool I have created a baseline for the different case pieces... but I need to make some adjustments to it and create the top layer (which the tool does not provide)

In the end I need to have some DXF files for the different pieces.

Can anyone here suggest a good, user-friendly, CAD tool for making these adjustments to swill's auto-generated case? I'm not a CAD guy... so the easier the tool is to use the better. I don't mind spending a little bit of money on the software but obviously free is better.

Thanks for your help!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Designing a custom case, what CAD tool?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 09:19:14 »
For 2D CAD drawing, I really like QCAD.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline GuilleAcoustic

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 15:53:46 »
FreeCAD is a nice, free, cross-platform and easy tool.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 16:35:57 »
AutoCAD for 2D, Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks for 3D

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 16:43:27 »
I've used Blender before and it's quite nice, but I've usually had to make a few revisions, so if you're not making it with a home 3D printer, and it would be much more expensive to make, I would advise against it (So you don't spend a ton of money on revisions)  :p

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 17:04:23 »
I've used Blender before and it's quite nice, but I've usually had to make a few revisions, so if you're not making it with a home 3D printer, and it would be much more expensive to make, I would advise against it (So you don't spend a ton of money on revisions)  :p
Blender is definitely not recommended for this kind of application :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 15:38:49 »
Blender is definitely not recommended for this kind of application :))

Well, it's a bit like bringing a gatling gun to a knife fight, loaded up with 10K of white phosphorous tracer rounds  :D

My recommendation:

- if you want to learn software just to make a single project and forget everything afterwards - get someone else do it. You'll save a lot of time and get a reliable result you wouldn't be able to produce anyway.

- if you never want to have anything to do with 3d graphics, and just want to make a few designs and learn a piece of software to be comfortable with, try this one: http://solvespace.com/
for 2d stuff you can try LibreCad, it has good tutorials on yt.
If you want to step up, try FreeCad.
OpenScad if you're adventurous. There is a corresponding Python library if that Fortran-chair-wienerdog crossbreed of a language OpenScad uses drives you nuts.

- have 3 free days to get productive? Want to make fancy models with bells and whistles? Want to laugh at your CAD friends who can't get stuff 3d printed due to outrageous topology created by their tool? Python scripting - sounds cool? Like women who play Starcraft and can dress adequately?
Well, here's where Blender comes in.

Personally, I'm a blenderhead. Blender takes a lot of time and effort investment to get it running, but the return is incredible.
It's an awesomely maintained project, with lots of great and knowledgable devs, great documentation, code quality, plenty of features, unmoderated and sh*tty user communities...
And it's blazingly fast. It's the Vim/Emacs of 3d modelling software, and comes with all the luggage of both (lots of sweet keyboard action, modes, obscure awesome functionality, custom stuff, addons, halfbaked things you can't live without... there's even Blender vs Blender battles! :P)

Offline wcass

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 18:32:08 »
If you have no experience with any CAD tool, take a look at DeltaCAD (full functioning 90 day free trial).
Windows and Mac only. Clean install/uninstall. It only does 2D, but your OP suggests that is all you need.