Author Topic: Greetings from the balkans!  (Read 2632 times)

Offline bkgrnd

• anything smaller than 40% is weird
Greetings from the balkans!
« on: Sat, 10 February 2024, 07:44:47 »
Greetings! Im background (you can call me stefan (not my real name) or BK) and ive been interested in the keyboard hobby ever since i got my first mechanical keyboard when i was 11, 4 years have passed and im still into the hobby.

In my almost half decade of being in the hobby my collection has never exceeded 3 keyboards.
I currently have 1.5 TKLs (.5 is my first keyboard that i now use to strip switches off of because im working on my own macro-pad and i like reusing old stuff in new ways) and 1 60% that im planning to keep bone-stock because i want to see how long it will last without modding it.

here is a "list" of my collection :
- Tracer gamezone stinger 87 with blue switches, 87 key TKL (the .5 in my 1.5 TKLs) (name is a mouthfull, isnt it?)
- White shark commandos with red switches, that i have tape-modded and lubed its stabilizers, 87 key TKL
- White shark shinobi with red switches, bone-stock, 60%

My first fully custom keyboard will probably be a hand-wired HHKB layout with 3d printed case, plate and split spacebar to see why people like split spacebar and see if i like the layout.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: Greetings from the balkans!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 February 2024, 22:38:20 »
Welcome to geekhack :)

The hhkb layout is pretty perfect for me, especially split backspace rs and control. Hope your hand wired project goes well.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline spingo

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 12:43:40 »
Greetings! Im background (you can call me stefan (not my real name) or BK) and ive been interested in the keyboard hobby ever since i got my first mechanical keyboard when i was 11, 4 years have passed and im still into the hobby.

In my almost half decade of being in the hobby my collection has never exceeded 3 keyboards.
I currently have 1.5 TKLs (.5 is my first keyboard that i now use to strip switches off of because im working on my own macro-pad and i like reusing old stuff in new ways) and 1 60% that im planning to keep bone-stock because i want to see how long it will last without modding it.

- Tracer gamezone stinger 87 with blue switches, 87 key TKL (the .5 in my 1.5 TKLs) (name is a mouthfull, isnt it?)
- White shark commandos with red switches, that i have tape-modded and lubed its stabilizers, 87 key TKL

My first fully custom keyboard will probably be a hand-wired HHKB layout with 3d printed case, plate and split spacebar to see why people like split spacebar and see if i like the layout.

This hobby seems to be right up your alley. You might go into PCB modding/building in the future. One of my friends went from keyboards to modding old gaming consoles. Pretty cool where this hobby will take you.

Offline TWX

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 February 2024, 22:43:44 »

Damn now I feel old.  My account on this forum is as old as you are.

Welcome regardless.

Back in the late nineties or early noughties, computer manufacturers like Compaq attempted to use split-space bar on their mainstream keyboards, the left half serving as as backspace.  This lasted only a short time because there was no obvious way to remap it to space and anyone that used their left hand dominately found the keyboard unusable.

My personal opinion is that so long as the space bar is at least five keys wide aligned from below the C-key to below the M-key on an American ANSI-style layout that it's good enough, space either side of the space bar can be committed to other functions.

Though amusingly in the days of Windows 95 we'd pry-off the window and menu keys so we wouldn't screw up our DOS-based games running under Windows by accidentally invoking the start menu or context menu.
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline spingo

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 11:46:21 »
Though amusingly in the days of Windows 95 we'd pry-off the window and menu keys so we wouldn't screw up our DOS-based games running under Windows by accidentally invoking the start menu or context menu.

Man I remember when I found out about the menu key and would brag to my friends, "Yeah, I can use a computer without a mouse, no problem."