Author Topic: Tru-Bro ID  (Read 90218 times)

Offline jbondeson

Re: Tru-Bro ID
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:46:53 »

Your damn iPhones have a serial number and you worry about tracking? Your receipts from stores have a tracking number. Everything we own can be traced back to us by the government. Why are people worried about this?

This is an odd thought process and is kinda at the heart of why I personally had a very negative visceral reaction when I first saw this. Simply because much of our lives can be tracked and many people don't care doesn't mean no one should ever care.

It's like when people say "if you have nothing to hide you shouldn't worry about privacy invasions" Its a fallacious argument.

I'm not worried that Bunny and Bro are suddenly going to start becoming the NSA, I simply disagree on principle with adding one more thing to the ever increasing list of data trackable to an individual.

Are there bigger issues out there? Yeah, which is why I made a couple comments in irc (and a DeBeersCaps joke). But to just call it tin foil is completely unfounded.

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:48:05 »
this is some next-level ****, gg.

The privacy considerations here are minimal. It's just a serial number.

I'm sure there are some up-front+honest collectors that this may rub the wrong way, and shady-ass cap flippers will not like it either... regardless: if you don't like it then don't participate / buy caps.

All things considered I really like the idea!
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:50:26 »
This is some next level **** haha trade depot idea love it
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:50:31 »
Really good idea! Thats pretty sweet

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:51:19 »

Your damn iPhones have a serial number and you worry about tracking? Your receipts from stores have a tracking number. Everything we own can be traced back to us by the government. Why are people worried about this?

This is an odd thought process and is kinda at the heart of why I personally had a very negative visceral reaction when I first saw this. Simply because much of our lives can be tracked and many people don't care doesn't mean no one should ever care.

It's like when people say "if you have nothing to hide you shouldn't worry about privacy invasions" Its a fallacious argument.

I'm not worried that Bunny and Bro are suddenly going to start becoming the NSA, I simply disagree on principle with adding one more thing to the ever increasing list of data trackable to an individual.

Are there bigger issues out there? Yeah, which is why I made a couple comments in irc (and a DeBeersCaps joke). But to just call it tin foil is completely unfounded.

But BroCaps were already traceable through trades... I know from personal experience that I was able to verify a bunch of Reapers I traded and bought by asking who the person got them from etc etc
All this does is make it harder for scum to 'clone' Bro's work...

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:53:49 »
This is awesome, Bro. Excited about those points :)

and again,

Offline DrCr4nK

• Yeah, man. I dig that.
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:54:59 »
Neat!  Can't wait to try it all out.  :D

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:56:46 »
@ika when you said COA I thought of a windows COA, so my question is for bro;

Do I need to call you up to activate my brocap before being used on my board? XD

But serious time now, will this trading system by chance also facilitate adding a tracking number when something is sent, so you see if anyone actually sent something just to stop people scamming others?
And AND will this now having numbers also work into a system like Baldgye and VesperSAINT made with a gallery of all the keys released afterwords? :D
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:57:17 »

In this context, it's a business/artisan/community thing and Bro+Ctrlalt are trying to take their craft to the next level. If it makes someone uncomfortable, let them complain and then abstain - better chance for me to get a cap!

BUT

Just because "individually-identifiable tracking" is ubiquitous doesn't mean people should be comfortable with it. From my perspective, these little hobby plastics are nothing like government-sponsored mass-spying so I'm buying-in! Bring on the trade depot!
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:59:36 by admiralvorian »
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:58:21 »
This is awesome!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:59:19 »
But serious time now, will this trading system by chance also facilitate adding a tracking number when something is sent, so you see if anyone actually sent something just to stop people scamming others?
And AND will this now having numbers also work into a system like Baldgye and VesperSAINT made with a gallery of all the keys released afterwords? :D

We are still working out the details on this, but essentially it's just a trade facilitation. Once the packages have been shipped, both parties can enter the tracking numbers into the trade transaction page. Then when they receive them, they can mark them as 'received'. When both members mark them as received, it will mark the transaction as 'successfully completed'.

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:00:15 »

We are still working out the details on this, but essentially it's just a trade facilitation. Once the packages have been shipped, both parties can enter the tracking numbers into the trade transaction page. Then when they receive them, they can mark them as 'received'. When both members mark them as received, it will mark the transaction as 'successfully completed'.

This is a way better system than Reddit's "post your trade here" method :\
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:00:41 »
the conspiracy cry is from people pissed off they can no longer flip the caps for profit and continue to do so w/o getting caught.

Exactly this.  Any rational market for a good like this should embrace means of authenticating the good as legitimate.  The outcries are just from people paranoid that they'll get caught.  If they actually bothered to understand everything here, they'd see that that isn't really true since it's all opt in, even if I do wish it was.  The benefit of opting in is being able to show accurate provenance along with the ID. Provenance is something I love to have.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:01:40 »
Big ups Bro.

I like the idea, and am looking forward to it.

If you, Bunny, Cody, Sent, Tym, or Margo wanna swing by my house and drink a beer or 7, feel free.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:01:41 »

This is a way better system than Reddit's "post your trade here" method :\

Well, we are not discouraging trading through traditional means, but we feel this is a nicer way of finding trades without having to bump threads, scroll through tons of other things you aren't interested in reading, etc.

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:04:22 »
Bro stepping it up this is awesome. Now if only i could get a brocap >.<

Offline joey

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:05:38 »
Have you added support for giving caps away? Happens somewhat frequently.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:06:37 »

If they don't already have a CTRL ALT account, they can just sign up and we will add the info to their account for them.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:06:56 »
Sounds good to me.  I look forward to seeing it in action.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:11:18 »
Really good step against fakes; very well executed as well, it looks awesome! When will further details release, like some information on how many Bro Points you need to trade into another product/ what those products will be? :)

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:12:23 »

Sounds pretty awesome though, I'm pretty awks when it comes to trades and always worry so I kinda like I would have a official route to do it, although the two I have traded with where stellar people! Anyway keep up the good work bro.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:20:49 »
The first time I read this I saw this as just a means of a Certificate of Authenticity, e.g. Never did I think of it as a means of privacy intrusion.

Subsequently, Bro & Co. will be able to pinpoint, if at all, who's selling theirs for an extreme profit, or abuse their caps in any other way, and possibly ban/warn them from/of future sales, should they wish to do so. I guess the only way they can do that is become notified of a marked-up sale, see some pics of the certificate, and see who originally owned that number.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:25:15 by romevi »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:23:55 »
The paranoia is funny.  It's not like he's embedding passive GPS trackers in them...or is he?

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:30:57 »
Oh a rewards system! ;D

Like with visa etc very cool & good idea.

I also like how the serial looks.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:32:06 »
I'm boycotting Brocaps from now on. This has to be some kind of ploy to catch me masturbating.  >:D

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:39:50 »
This has to be some kind of ploy to catch me masturbating.  >:D

Actually, we have embedded micro cameras in The Rustler to do just that.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:42:13 »
Looking forward for a Gold Bro Card like my Gold Starbucks Card :D

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:45:33 »
Damn. This is both impressive and totally awesome. Good move  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:46:18 »

If they don't already have a CTRL ALT account, they can just sign up and we will add the info to their account for them.

This, well actually e-mail sales but same theory, was my first and only concern (I pretty much have a tinfoil hat but ctrl alt are not the government...) so glad it's covered.

I do think the shininess will look a little out of place on my "traditional" Cherokey though :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:46:25 »
this is the most logical thing to hit Geekhack since...

well, there's practically nothing logical about Geekhack...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:46:28 »
Looking forward for a Gold Bro Card like my Gold Starbucks Card :D

Pff. I have one of those. But do you also have a Costco Executive card?
And I'm not talking about a regular Executive card; I'm talking about Executive Rinne Tensei Madara Uchiha with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikidou paths ability) equipped with its Gunbai and control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, a complete Susano'o, with Hashirama Senju's DNA implanted in its barcode so it can perform Mokuton kekkei genkai and yin-yang release ninjutsu as well as being extremely skilled in taijutsu and bukijutsu.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:47:53 »

Show Image

Good thing I'm an exhibitionist.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:49:31 »
Innovation at its best. Always at the forefront. Keep up the amazing work, Bro.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:51:12 »
Innovation at its best. Always at the forefront. Keep up the amazing work, Bro.
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

y u gotta get me started bro

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:53:55 »
halp I thin I'm lost

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:55:34 »
y u gotta get me started bro

Show Image

BC DATZ HOW I DO. DATZ HOW I ROLL.

halp I thin I'm lost

Show Image

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:08:15 »
Holy crap just like microsoft! So sick BRO!  :cool:  :thumb:

Show Image

hahahah
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:15:44 by dustinhxc »

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:10:38 »
this is v nice. definitely a step forward
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:20:45 »
Wow!

How to turn a negative situation into a positive one! :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Glissant

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:24:39 »
I love this new system. Way to innovate, Bro Caps :)

Offline thefebruaryman

• turn it off and turn it on again
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:42:47 »
I think it's a great idea. But you should do one better and cast a raid tag into the caps. Have a batch made up and have different batch numbers for differnt types of caps

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:17:10 »
Will I be able to log in all my awesome moonpuhs & shiniami caps to trade for BroCaps on the site?

:)) :)) :))

I'm sorry bro<33

Don't ban me

don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:17:24 »
I simply disagree on principle with adding one more thing to the ever increasing list of data trackable to an individual.

I'm sorry if this seems like I'm picking on you, but I just want to understand the viewpoint.

This seems to me to be a very opt-in program, so I don't quite understand the concern.  If you don't want CtrlAlt knowing you've purchased a cap from someone, can't you just not tell them?  There's no way they can force you...  This is just a way to know that it's genuine.  Or am I missing something here?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:19:43 »
You ain't missing ****, Hoff.

Totally up to the consumer to participate.

The only one who knows you bought a genuine Bro is CA, and they would know anyways because they sold it to you.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:26:08 »
I simply disagree on principle with adding one more thing to the ever increasing list of data trackable to an individual.

I'm sorry if this seems like I'm picking on you, but I just want to understand the viewpoint.

This seems to me to be a very opt-in program, so I don't quite understand the concern.  If you don't want CtrlAlt knowing you've purchased a cap from someone, can't you just not tell them?  There's no way they can force you...  This is just a way to know that it's genuine.  Or am I missing something here?

omgerd cant we hav sum privasee from the keyboard gesstapo
i dont want the en ess ay noing about my artizansss

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:36:58 »
This seems more like a points system than an authenticity mechanism. Those hologram stickers readily available and easy to recreate. A counterfeiter would only need to buy one  key and then resell that serial repeatedly.

The points are a fun idea though!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:43:50 »
This seems more like a points system than an authenticity mechanism. Those hologram stickers readily available and easy to recreate. A counterfeiter would only need to buy one  key and then resell that serial repeatedly.

These ain't no stickers, son.

So no chance of it coming off accidentally, right?

No sir, it is embedded within the cap. It will not peel off :)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:48:11 »

I don't understand your train of thought.

For example if I had cap #007 and kept selling duplicates of it, people would most definitely know. Where would I even advertise such a sale/trade?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 17:06:27 »

Actually, each number is specifically tied in with the cap style and stem type. So you can't simply guess numbers and try to pass them off. Every number can be verified. I can also speak more on the holograms themselves and the distinguishing factors. These aren't cheap off the shelf solutions.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 17:06:50 »

you are literally giving us no more data than we already have

the id numbers are just there so you know your product is genuine, purchasing the cap from ctrl alt will be no different than it has been before

you can still trade the caps anyway you want, without logging any numbers etc

the bro points you can think of as a loyalty scheme, we simply want to give back to the people who support us

the trade hub is totally different, we are simply giving people the utility to trade caps, so you can match up with people who want the cap you have, and have the cap you want, rather than going through the frustrating process of posting a classifieds ad and dealing with tons of people offering you things you dont want

we are simply helping facilitate that, but we will not stop you trading any other way you want

I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON