Author Topic: Topre owner, do you regret your choice on weight?  (Read 8505 times)

Offline ag36

Topre owner, do you regret your choice on weight?
« on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 10:36:24 »
I have a JIS 108 35g, felt keys are too light and 1u backspace is too small also everything is shifted left on JIS layout so I type things wrong, liked hhkb but has no arrow keys or fn lock felt inconvenient. topre rgb's sound is worse then expected even with pbt keycaps. I just received my FC980C today I finally have a perfect topre for my use.

What's your story with Topre?
Correction:30g, not 35g.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 May 2018, 16:14:25 by ag36 »
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Topre owner, do you regret your choice on weight?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 12:44:09 »
Yes i regret buying a JIS. Because i mostly used the spacebar with my right thumb and had to adjust a bit it wasn't that bad but still didn't feel right. And i agree 1u spacebar is awful.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline haydoselefantes

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 14:03:07 »
I have a JIS 108 35g, felt keys are too light

I have the opposite problem.  I love the outside keys on my variable weight so much, I wish the whole keyboard were that light.

I tried the ultra-light BKE domes.  I like the tactility and the weight, but the bottom out feels harsher to me than stock domes.  I'd actually been planning on importing a 30g JIS just to harvest the domes.

I actually have the stock domes from my 87u all-45g "EK Edition" that I'd love to trade for 30g from a JIS.  (could make up the dome count with my remaining BKE ultra lights)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 14:32:10 »
I have a variable-weight JIS Realforce and want uniform weight (WTB!), because of my custom keymap (that's why I got a JIS keyboard in the first place):

Offline Riverman

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 15:25:23 »
I currently have a uniform 45G Type Heaven, and I greatly prefer it to the variable weight Realforces I had before.  I thought the outer keys were far too mushy and lacked the "thock" sound.  If I could find a set of Realforce PBT keycaps to put on my Type Heaven, I think it would be perfect.  After using MX brown keyboards for so long, I wouldn't want a Topre with heavier domes than 45G, either.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 15:40:03 »
I'm typing on a 55g topre right now, and I like it a lot, maybe even more than the 45g (depends on day). I also have a 45g Leo fc980c and 45g RF RGB, which does feel a little different but is still nice. Topre aren't my fastest typing switches, but they are somehow satisfying in a unique way.
I would never consider a 35g or variable set, as they would be too light (browns are too light for me now).
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 16:23:49 »
I kinda wish i still had the RF87 that i put my 45g domes from the HHKB into... so i could swap them back.  :rolleyes:
-Dana

Offline idlemao

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 12:45:38 »
I kinda wish i still had the RF87 that i put my 45g domes from the HHKB into... so i could swap them back.  :rolleyes:
Funny, because I bought a RF87 that someone else swapped HHKB domes into, and the 45g feels... mushier in the Realforce? In the HHKB, 45 feels perfectly weighted. But maybe it's the different case or whatnot. I want to see if 55g would feel better in the RF, but I'm afraid they might be too heavy then I'll have the same regret you do.  :))

Offline Pavilions

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:27:26 »
Yes, I do regret I think I just found that I'm suited for 55g weight my 45g Topre is a little bit light for my taste. the next choice of Topre will be 55g for me. by the way, I do a lot of typing and don't game much.

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 14:21:35 »
I have found that a Realforce RBG (45g) with silencing rings is just perfect for me.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 19:36:46 »
I used to be all about the 55g, now whenever I use it my fingers get a bit sore. I'd love to swap out my 55g 87U for a 45g 87U, but I don't think they make 'em anymore :(

Offline billm

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 22:40:03 »
Of my 3 topre boards I like my variable weight realforce the best. Some days I find the 45g fc660c too light, and other days it's fine. But I almost exclusively find the 45g in my novatouch to be too light, especially with SA caps.  This is so much the case with the novatouch that I'm thinking of an experiment to make it "variable" using one of those 55g ebay dome sheets.
If it's not ALPS it's crap!

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 23:15:46 »
Of my 3 topre boards I like my variable weight realforce the best. Some days I find the 45g fc660c too light, and other days it's fine. But I almost exclusively find the 45g in my novatouch to be too light, especially with SA caps.  This is so much the case with the novatouch that I'm thinking of an experiment to make it "variable" using one of those 55g ebay dome sheets.

That might be because the fc660c measures more about 50g in practice
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline Polymer

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 02:53:31 »
Yeah..and the variable RFs feel overall much lighter than a 660c...

When I first got a variable RF, I sort of regretted it because I didn't like that I couldn't rest my fingers on the keyboard without getting a bunch of aaaaaaaaa across the screen...

But after using it for awhile I found I enjoy using it when I have to type a lot...More so than my HHKB...

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 10:05:14 »
I think the confusion here is that there are at least 2 types of variable/ergonomic realforces, one with 45g alphas and 55g mods, and one with like 30g inner-alphas, 45g-outer-alphas and mods, and 55g only on the esc.

As for getting a 55g ebay dome sheet - don't! I've only ever heard bad things about them.
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 20:14:18 »
I've been using the FC980C and love it. I heard the new black and blue/grey 660C are made in Japan and are actually 45g now, so I think I'm going to be picking those up to try.

I'm using the China made 660C at home now since I like the layout, but always end up switching back and forth from the 980C because I miss the light domes lol.

BTW has anyone with the new 660C's installed Hasu's controller? I just wanna be sure that it will still work.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 May 2018, 20:16:37 by bizzy11 »
FC660C | FC980C

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 20:16:55 »
Sometimes I wish I could be 10lbs lighter, but I know I'm where I am because of my inability to control my portions.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 May 2018, 20:27:20 by romevi »

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 21:32:42 »
I have an HHKB with lubed purple silent RF sliders and 55g domes. I LOVE it.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 09:46:44 »
Sometimes I wish I could be 10lbs lighter, but I know I'm where I am because of my inability to control my portions.

:)) :thumb:

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 11:02:40 »
I have a 45g NT, a variable RF87u and a 55g RF87u.

I absolutely hate how the 55g RF87u feels - it makes my fingers hurt.
Variable is OK. 
Lubed 45g NT is best.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 15:04:44 »
I am super happy with a variable weight (purple sliders, so slightly shorter action too).
Using any other Topre gives me pain in my right hand, which could be because my HHKB got stiffer with time, and don't even get me started on my RF 55G, which feels a ton heavier than my Model Ms and Unicomps :)
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline macguy80

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 15:20:35 »
My first Topre was an all-45 RF 87u; I hated it. It was too light, and I made all sorts of typos due to unintentional input.

I then upgraded to the all-55g 87u and the problems went away. I was much more accurate.

Then I wanted to try the HHKB, so I got a Type-S, which, like all stock HHKB's, is 45g as well.

Except...while the weighting is supposedly identical to my first RF, the HHKB is NOT too light, and I type very well on it. I can't reconcile the difference, other than to wonder if the difference has to do with the fact that the HHKB switches are case-mounted as opposed to plate-mounted.

The side effect of this, though, is that when I switch back to my 55g, I find it to be too heavy now, and get fatigued after a while. This despite being able to type without trouble on supposedly heavier switches like Orange Alps, Buckling Springs, etc.

I've always wanted to try the HiPro model, but I can't help but wonder if it would be too similar to the RF45g, or if it might be closer to the HHKB, where 45g is not a problem.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 02:50:47 »
I like the weighting on my fc660 because it feels like 50 grams not 45 so it's really feels like it is not too heavy

Offline haydoselefantes

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 16:08:51 »
Is there a general consensus that FC660Cs feel heavier than the 45g Realforce boards?

Offline Hodgeman

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 16:51:52 »
HHKB with stock domes and silencing rings is perfect for me.

I really like the fc660c layout and plan on getting one eventually. I really want to try out BKE Heavies on it and maybe some sliders.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 18:31:49 »
Is there a general consensus that FC660Cs feel heavier than the 45g Realforce boards?

Yes, they are definitely heavier. I have the new japan made 660c on the way though, so I'm hoping it's lighter than the previous China made models.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 19:16:06 »

Yes, they are definitely heavier. I have the new japan made 660c on the way though, so I'm hoping it's lighter than the previous China made models.

lol am I the only one that liked the heavier FC660C?  Realforce 45g always feels too light for me, and FC660C 45g feels just right.  Topre Type heaven feels the same weight as FC660C.

So in short:

FC660C, Type Heaven and HHKB 45g feels just right.

Realforce 45g and variable feels too light, with the variable being my least favourite.

Realforce 55g is just too heavy for me.

I even bought a Realforce 104UW (variable) before and dome swap them to 45g from Type Heaven.  Though the resulted board still feels lighter than the stock Type Heaven so I start to wonder if it's partially because of the keycaps or the case construction.

I wonder how R2 45g domes will be.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline hyperlite218

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 00:19:07 »
I love the feel of the fc660cs stock pads but have been interested in the bke redux heavy pads.  I've heard good things about them

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 15:59:24 »
I don't regret my choices on Topre, even though I've learned that I clearly have preferences on the weight.  I sort of think of it like a fun journey, where some stops along the way are better than others.  I currently have a low-noise variable weight RealForce 104U, a low-noise all 45g weight 87U, and a regular all 55g 87U, as well as an FC660C. I've previously owned a HHKB Type-S as well. 

My all-time fav is the 55g 87U - this would be my daily driver at work if it was a low-noise model. Sure would be nice if they offered a low-noise all 55g stock keyboard! The snappiness of the switches is just great.

I bought the variable 104U with much skepticism, as I like heavier switches, thinking that if I hated it I could either sell it for decent money or harvest the purple sliders and try to mod my 55g into a low-noise version. However I've found that I really like the variable at work because it is so quiet and feels so premium.

I was excited to order the 10th anniversary all 45g low-noise 87U. However it really does not feel much different then the variable in practice, which is to say it's a bit too light for me, however it is smooth and quiet, and also imparts a premium feeling overall.

I recently bought a Leopold FC660C (made in China), and even though it claims to use all 45g domes, it does feel closer to 50g/55g, and that is very appreciated by me. I love this keyboard.

The HHKB Type-S has a fantastic and unique Topre experience that is probably my favorite of all. However its layout is terrible - for me. So I can hope that someday there may be something that feels like the PCB mounted switches of HHKB in a more traditional layout, like TKL.

So at work I switch around my keyboards a lot and enjoy them all.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 16:26:34 »
Does the stock HHKB feel any different from the type-S, or is the difference in sound only? I have the type-S.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 18:35:50 »

lol am I the only one that liked the heavier FC660C?  Realforce 45g always feels too light for me, and FC660C 45g feels just right.  Topre Type heaven feels the same weight as FC660C.

So in short:

FC660C, Type Heaven and HHKB 45g feels just right.

Realforce 45g and variable feels too light, with the variable being my least favourite.

Realforce 55g is just too heavy for me.

I even bought a Realforce 104UW (variable) before and dome swap them to 45g from Type Heaven.  Though the resulted board still feels lighter than the stock Type Heaven so I start to wonder if it's partially because of the keycaps or the case construction.

I wonder how R2 45g domes will be.

No, from what I've seen many seem to prefer heavier domes over the lighter ones. It's just preference.

I guess I wouldn't really mind heavier domes for just typing, but I hate them when I'm playing games.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline 1Weeb

• ◕w◕
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 02:08:53 »
Tried BKE Redux Light domes on my HHKB a while back. For some reason I don't like the super tactile feeling of topre domes, but I'm fine with other tactile switches such as orange alps and holy panda's. So I still use the stock HHKB domes and I don't think I'll ever try BKE domes again.

Offline jackcauliflower

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 12:50:21 »
Typing on my 45G domes on my Novatouch and they are perfect. I tried 55G domes and they were just too heavy for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 12:50:58 »
My 55g Realforce is in my drawer.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:09:02 »
Got some BKE Redux Lights to do a dome swap on my 55g 87u.
Hoping it makes it usable   :p

Offline SmilingPolitely

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:20:01 »
Went with 45g uniform and I've got no regrets at all.

My mech progression was MX Brown -> MX Red -> MX Red Silent -> 45g Topre.

Never felt like I had to make a significant transition, though the switch to Topre was lovely. 45g should feel just right for anyone coming from MX Reds or equivalent.

Offline hilltopchill

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 19:23:50 »
I'm really pleased with my 45g HHKB, it's the perfect weight for me. Have you considered using BKE domes?