Author Topic: The Alumaplop, a compact keyboard/trackball combo in process  (Read 45688 times)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Re: The Alumaplop, a compact keyboard/trackball combo in process
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 07:43:07 »
I'm not sure about the legends.
The ones you have pictured above are dyesubs.

There's way too much knowledge on this forum. You guys know everything.

Okay try this one. I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100... :)

Offline kurplop

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 07:46:18 »
Progress on the Alumaplop is probably going to stall for the next week or so. I've got a years worth of business records to assemble for my accountant. before the 15th.

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 11:55:12 »
Repent.

Repent for all your dirty plunder. And pay.

Pay more and more for every dime you so greedily collected.

IRS 25:17
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 April 2015, 16:12:20 by Zekromtor »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 12:13:49 »
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline kurplop

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 13:12:37 »

You win! The number was 35, the per cent I'll probably have to pay to my bankrupt uncle.  You weren't very close but you win by default.

If I have anything left, I'll send you a prize.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 13:20:40 »

You win! The number was 35, the per cent I'll probably have to pay to my bankrupt uncle.  You weren't very close but you win by default.

If I have anything left, I'll send you a prize.

Haha.

Did you see Focus yet?  There's a scene in there this reminds me of...
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline kurplop

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 20:29:04 »
Repent.

Repent for all your dirty plunder. And pay.

Pay more and more for every dime you so greedily collected.

IRS 25:17

If the degree of my treachery is proportional to my profit margin last year, I expect to be elevated to sainthood soon.

What is IRS 25:17?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 21:57:25 »
What is IRS 25:17?

I believe it's just a made-up number to sound like a bible verse quotation

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 00:05:27 »
Probably related to:

Ezekiel 25:17 (Tarantino Edition)

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish, and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the Valley of Darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon the with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother. And you will know my name is The LORD, when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 00:22:22 »
Yeah. Wasn't my finest work.

OK, so ML testing has begun. My findings have been rather ordinary. There's a slight scratchy or chalky feel to them unlubricated, but it's very minor on these used MLs and doesn't bother me. The potential for the keys to bind or require more force to actuate when pressed on the far edges or corners is also too minor for me to really care about, and jacobolus's keycap alternative is an ideal way to minimize it even further. The overall travel of the key feels good.

About mods... I was hoping I'd be able to mod these switches, make them linear perhaps, but that is not possible. The mechanism that causes the connection is the same one that causes the tactile bump, so there's no simple way to remove a piece and change the feel. It wouldn't be too hard to mod them to reduce the travel after actuation either, provided you could source something other than an O Ring to use as the spacer. Cut foam would work, but I'd prefer something harder. At that point, however, you may end up reducing travel to a point that it's no longer comfortable.

Lubed they are smoother, but not as smooth as the Matias alps that I'm used to. Doesn't bother me any though. The slight scratchiness may actually be preferable to some, much in the same way some do not want their mousepad to be a super smooth surface.

Overall, I do agree with those that consider the ML to be a smaller cherry brown. I'm going to keep testing and see if my cat hair and dust riddled environment can produce any of the same double clicks that I get some my ducky and matias alps that require bottled air to remedy.

The .7 horizontal spacing is great for me. All my future boards will use it, I'm quite sure.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 03:27:51 »
If you wanted to reduce travel after activation, could you drop a small ball into the plunger shaft? A soft ball would also cushion the bottoming out. I find the standard 3mm travel, 1.5 mm before and 1.5mm after activation pretty good.

FYI -  The switches you're testing are new so are probably as scratchy as they ever will be.

I wonder if the ideal process would be to use them unlubed for a while to wear them in, then lube them?
Do you think it's necessary to disassemble the switches to lube? I ask for two reasons. First, as you know the switches are quite small and fragile, if opening can be avoided it would be a plus. Second, most of the contact points can at least be partially reached externally.

I don't notice binding if I strike the corners of the keycaps as much as when the strike isn't vertical. I agree however that the round top ML caps would probably be helpful.

I think I'm good with the .7" horizontal spacing too. Once you get use to it, the advantage of having the keys closer is a definite positive. Do you think there's merit in the vertical spacing being a bit tighter?  My earlier testing found .65" to be ideal for my hands but I think I limited it to that because I couldn't fit a tighter spacing with either the MX or the Alps style switches. A future board may try a .6" to .65". The only spot where I would have liked a greater vertical spacing is between the thumb keys. If I moved the upper thumb rows away from the alpha's, there would be room to raise them .1 to 1.5" which I think would feel less cramped. Part of the problem is the way I contoured the upper thumb keys; they cramp the lower row a bit. Reshaping them may solve the problem.

Thanks for the results of your preliminary testing. :thumb:

Offline kurplop

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 03:37:08 »
Probably related to:

Ezekiel 25:17 (Tarantino Edition)

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish, and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the Valley of Darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon the with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother. And you will know my name is The LORD, when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

You got me curious now. The Tarantino version is a pretty liberal paraphrase of the original text. I assume it's from one of his movies?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 04:05:46 »
The Internal Revenue Code is Title 26 of the US Code, not 25. Also, I think §17 must be a number reserved for future use (or something..?), notice the skip from §15 to §21 https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/subtitle-A/chapter-1/subchapter-A

25 USC §17 is about the Bureau of Indian Affairs: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/25/17

The 25:17 thing must be a typo. ;)
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 04:13:27 by jacobolus »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 04:10:12 »
I assume it's from one of his movies?
You’ve never seen Pulp Fiction?!

Offline kurplop

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 04:34:30 »
Forgive me. I tried watching it a few months ago and didn't care for it. Stopped it a quarter way through and watched Lady and the Tramp instead.

Why are you up at 2:00am? Are you a night owl or an early riser like me?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 06:02:49 »
2 am isn't early, it's late.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 06:14:00 »
I average about 3-4 hours of sleep a night, usually between 9:30 and 1:30.

Does anyone have a remedy for insomnia?

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:59:31 »
If you wanted to reduce travel after activation, could you drop a small ball into the plunger shaft? A soft ball would also cushion the bottoming out. I find the standard 3mm travel, 1.5 mm before and 1.5mm after activation pretty good.

FYI -  The switches you're testing are new so are probably as scratchy as they ever will be.

I wonder if the ideal process would be to use them unlubed for a while to wear them in, then lube them?
Do you think it's necessary to disassemble the switches to lube? I ask for two reasons. First, as you know the switches are quite small and fragile, if opening can be avoided it would be a plus. Second, most of the contact points can at least be partially reached externally.

I don't notice binding if I strike the corners of the keycaps as much as when the strike isn't vertical. I agree however that the round top ML caps would probably be helpful.

I think I'm good with the .7" horizontal spacing too. Once you get use to it, the advantage of having the keys closer is a definite positive. Do you think there's merit in the vertical spacing being a bit tighter?  My earlier testing found .65" to be ideal for my hands but I think I limited it to that because I couldn't fit a tighter spacing with either the MX or the Alps style switches. A future board may try a .6" to .65". The only spot where I would have liked a greater vertical spacing is between the thumb keys. If I moved the upper thumb rows away from the alpha's, there would be room to raise them .1 to 1.5" which I think would feel less cramped. Part of the problem is the way I contoured the upper thumb keys; they cramp the lower row a bit. Reshaping them may solve the problem.

Thanks for the results of your preliminary testing. :thumb:

Yes, you could definitely use a tiny ball or a tiny disk of punched metal/rubber beneath the plunger to reduce travel.  It's important to note that reducing travel after activation is far less for comfort, and more to increase the ability for rapid double taps. It's virtually impossible to make use of the minuscule tactile bump for double taps, which quite frankly only gets in the way. Ideally pro gamers want (or should want, in my theory) as small a travel after activation as possible specifically so there is also minimal travel required to reset the switch on the upstroke. I think this is why gamers tend to favor red cherry switches with O-rings under the keycaps - they're actually trying to mimic the bottom-out activation of rubber domes by eliminating over travel.

I would agree that ideally you'd want to wear them in unlubed, then lube them later if you want maximum smoothness - or just never lube. The lube tests I did today on new ML switches were not very successful, making me think that I had imagined any improvement from before.
Perimeter of switch lubed without taking apart = felt little to no difference in scratchiness, same potential for binding
Perimeter of switch and plunger lubed = still felt little to no different in scratchiness, tiny bit less bindability on corner presses
Removing the metal contact completely = felt less scratchy, but switch obviously can't work. I just did this to test a theory that much of that feeling comes from the triangular plastic sliders rubbing on the metal contact. Putting any lube on the contacts sounds like a horrible idea though.

So I'd recommend just keeping the switches dry. They really only bind if you are purposefully trying to get them to, pressing on a corner in a way to tilt the key as much as possible before depressing.

As for reducing vertical spacing further, yes, I do see the potential provided it is compatible with your anatomy, however, that may be contingent on building in a step, or a pseudo step provided by angled keycaps.

For the thumbs, you're talking to someone who only uses a single thumb row, so I'd support keeping the thumb rows spaced quite far apart vertically and in elevation, but I think this is where anatomy plays perhaps the largest part.

Lastly, as for Pulp Fiction, it's one of my favorites, and was indeed the source for my selected numbers. It's probably about as opposite from Lady and the Tramp as you can get, though, so it just depends on if you are in the mood. I haven't given much of Tarantino's newer stuff a chance, because they all look so dumbed down for mass consumption, but Pulp Fiction is definitely an intelligent and hilarious movie if you can get past the comical violence.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 10:44:58 »
Don’t be afraid to exploit people’s generosity… as long as you’re willing to reciprocate. Sometimes when talking to fohat I know that there are some things he can’t do and wish he could. When you get help from someone there is probably some way in which you can help him back in future, since rarely do people’s skill sets overlap completely.

BTW I also use 1u thumb keys, and am a big fan of them. With 1u thumb keys you can have more thumb keys to do more things such as activating extra function and macro levels. Metalliqaz is famous for having programming software and he could help you with this.

I have also found no need for more than 1u little finger keys to trigger shift, tab, backspace, etc. Making everything 1u will really simplify things!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 21:15:32 »

Lastly, as for Pulp Fiction, it's one of my favorites, and was indeed the source for my selected numbers. It's probably about as opposite from Lady and the Tramp as you can get, though, so it just depends on if you are in the mood. I haven't given much of Tarantino's newer stuff a chance, because they all look so dumbed down for mass consumption, but Pulp Fiction is definitely an intelligent and hilarious movie if you can get past the comical violence.

I admit, I didn't give Pulp Fiction enough time to properly critique it but I don't think I am much of a Tarantino fan. I did like Inglorious Basterds but I think my sentiments are driven by Christoph Waltz' performance. Much like Anthony Hopkin's Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs and Daniel Day Lewis' Daniel Plainview in There Will be Blood, I find the charismatic, delightfully sophisticated scoundrel to be mesmerizing, entertaining and, at times, down right humorous on film. In real life I can't imagine a more undesirable, corrupt narcissistic type of personality but, hey, it's the movies. 

Don�t be afraid to exploit people�s generosity� .

Thanks again for the nudge. Right now I have just a few hurdles to pass.

First, I will need to modify the layout structure I've used on the PortaPlop to work with the Alumaplop.  Ben (ic07) helped me on the PortaPlop and has already kindly offered his skills on this as well. Ben did the foundational work on the ErgoDox firmware and tweaked it a bit to fit my requirements.  Ben is a great guy and typical of many of the skilled and generous people on the GH roster.

Second, if anyone has any black or grey ML, 1u blanks that they would like to contribute to the cause, it would save me the trouble of casting them.

And last, if anyone has a time stretcher, I could sure use one. It seems like I have more plans than time. By the time I finish work and take care of family/social obligations it seems like there's little time left. Actually that's not quite true. There's time, but either I'm too exhausted, my eyes are to fatigued to do anything productive or my brain just needs to rest. (Violin plays a sympathetic tune in the background)

If/when I do another keyboard, I will gladly welcome help on PCB design if there is anyone who would like to collaborate on a keyboard project. Right now however, I've got my plate full finishing this one.

berzerkfan– What keyboard do you use the 1u modifier and thumb caps on?   BTW, every time I read your name I think of a line from the restaurant scene in the movie Billy Jack. Have you seen it?  Takes me back 45 years

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 10:21:25 »

Second, if anyone has any black or grey ML, 1u blanks that they would like to contribute to the cause, it would save me the trouble of casting them.

I've got beige with those funny tabs.  You need 'em?
More

Offline kurplop

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 13:46:29 »
I think those would work great. I have cut off the side tab on some of my labeled caps and they look just like a single unit but what I really needed was blanks.  I'll PM you later today. 

And you didn't think you had anything to contribute. ;)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 20:32:22 »
If you need black blanks, you can also just use dye. PBT is pretty easy to dye, and black should cover up any existing legends.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 05:44:04 »
My limited experiences with dyeing plastics haven't turned out well. Could you direct me to a good "how to dye plastic" resource?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 11:52:42 »
My limited experiences with dyeing plastics haven't turned out well. Could you direct me to a good "how to dye plastic" resource?

There isn't a dedicated page for dyeing resources, but I find this to be the de facto 'how to' for it.  I recently used this information for a successful dye job on my Model M caps.  For my successful run, the steps were:

1. Rinse caps twice with ethanol.  (I used a martini shaker)
2. Rinse caps once with water.
3. Submerge caps in near boiling idye solution - surface temperature measured by IR to be 85-95C during the course of the work.  I used a metal colander for the submersion and a bamboo skewer to poke down pesky floaters.
4. Remove when color is satisfactory.
5. Immediately rinse with water.
6. Polish with towel to remove remaining dye and extraneous material.

My caps did come out with gradient coloration, with darker color on the face and lighter color toward the base.  I suspect this is due to a temperature gradient in the solution.  The face of the caps were pointed down so the underside would fill with the water, sinking the cap.  Evidence from the linked thread suggests that warmer solution increases the dye setting.  This makes sense to produce a gradient since the solution was still on the heat source during the submersion.  For future work, to produce a more even tone color, I suspect it would be beneficial to do this on hotplate with a stir bar, or possibly use a pressure pot to raise the boiling point of the solution above 100C, remove from heat, release the pressure while stirring, then dye the caps.

Offline jacobolus

Offline kurplop

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 21:45:05 »
Thanks guys for the articles. I haven't had time yet to completely go through them all but I will soon.

What kind of plastic were you trying to dye, and what type of dye?

I'm not sure of the plastic. I think ABS. They were white Sanwa arcade switches. I tried to dye them black and grey with Rit powder dye. It didn't respond so I turned up the heat . I got a light grey tint but at the cost of distorting the plastic from excess heat, probably near boiling.

If I try dyeing the caps it would be the stock cherry ones pictured above. Do you know the type of plastic it is?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 00:12:16 »
Thanks guys for the articles. I haven't had time yet to completely go through them all but I will soon.

What kind of plastic were you trying to dye, and what type of dye?

I'm not sure of the plastic. I think ABS. They were white Sanwa arcade switches. I tried to dye them black and grey with Rit powder dye. It didn't respond so I turned up the heat . I got a light grey tint but at the cost of distorting the plastic from excess heat, probably near boiling.

If I try dyeing the caps it would be the stock cherry ones pictured above. Do you know the type of plastic it is?

Rit is dubious.  I'd recommend getting Jacquard iDye Poly.

To distinguish PBT and ABS, try a float test in tap water.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 18:46:15 »
Again, they’re PBT. :-)

PBT is much much easier to dye than ABS.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 19:05:38 »
Again, they�re PBT. :-)

PBT is much much easier to dye than ABS.

Excuse my denseness. I thought your PBT comment was a generalization about their suitability for dyeing, not an identification of my caps.
That's good to know. One packet of black dye powder on the shopping list.

Meeting with my accountant Friday evening. I'm  planning on rewarding myself for all of tax prep. drudgery by treating myself to a weekend in the shop. Assuming of course that I still have a shop after I pay my taxes.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 April 2015, 19:10:24 by kurplop »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 00:23:02 »
Excuse my denseness. I thought your PBT comment was a generalization about their suitability for dyeing, not an identification of my caps.
That's good to know. One packet of black dye powder on the shopping list.
Oh, I didn’t mean that in a snippy way.

One way you can tell they’re PBT is if you look on the bottom, they have the letters 'PBT' molded into the plastic.

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 02:36:57 »
Good to hear my dream of the keyboard coming together with all black keys is still alive.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 22:23:40 »
Good to hear my dream of the keyboard coming together with all black keys is still alive.

The dye is ordered but no promises. I may save the black blanks to go with the clear aluminum shell of the Alumaplop part deux.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 19:33:08 »
I'm leaving on a trip and worked all day to finish this up before I leave. Big thanks to the GH community for all of your advice and encouragement.

Ic07 bailed me out with his assistance loading and configuring the firmware but I still had a lot of issues I had to work through; bad switches, bad connections, fried USB hub,...

Everything works and I'm tickled!

101486-0
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Excuse the dust and lint, I still need to get it out of the shop and clean it up.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 19:40:16 »
More pictures
[ Specified attachment is not available ]
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 May 2015, 19:45:17 by kurplop »

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 03:20:37 »
That just looks great. Such a tiny footprint too.

So what's the plan? Use this as your main keyboard at home and also take it everywhere with you where you need to type?

Also, can't help myself: "This is the beginning of what is hopefully about a 2 month thread, detailing the completion of my latest project." « on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 00:58:15 »

That's just the nature of these things :)

Offline kurplop

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 06:24:45 »
That just looks great. Such a tiny footprint too.

Thanks. It really turned out to be almost exactly what I wanted it to be; small footprint, very light weight at 1.3 pounds, extremely rigid, and it works.  Who could ask for more?

So what's the plan? Use this as your main keyboard at home and also take it everywhere with you where you need to type?

I think I may retire the ErgoDox and use this everywhere until I get another one built. That should only take about 2 months. :))

I want to get use to the different configuration. Primarily the absence of the far left row and the greater dependence on the layers.

Also, can't help myself: "This is the beginning of what is hopefully about a 2 month thread, detailing the completion of my latest project." � on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 00:58:15 �

That's just the nature of these things :)

I'm glad you said it. I deserve it. I knew I was being unrealistic when I wrote it. I could have kept that deadline but life has a way of throwing a wrench into the obsession machine.

Thanks for following its progress Zek.

Offline tufty

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 14:04:49 »
It's beautiful, the closest thing to perfect I've seen in a long time.  You should be very proud to have completed it in a mere 4 and a half months.

Offline neverused

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 14:46:46 »
This will be my vote for keyboard of the month for June. Beautiful

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 15:02:20 »
I'm leaving on a trip and worked all day to finish this up before I leave. Big thanks to the GH community for all of your advice and encouragement.

Ic07 bailed me out with his assistance loading and configuring the firmware but I still had a lot of issues I had to work through; bad switches, bad connections, fried USB hub,...

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Excuse the dust and lint, I still need to get it out of the shop and clean it up.

Holy ****. It is done... and it is a thing of beauty.

I'm actually down with the choice of ML considering your goal of low-profile (despite that trackball being huge haha).

And I have a Yoga, too, which makes me realize exactly how compact it is. You do have huge hands, though. Video of you typing? :p
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 08:13:44 »
Woah, where did all the 1x modifiers come from? Did you print them yourself somehow?

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 10:10:15 »
This is one of the greatest works ever on this forum. Unfortunately unlike other fora, this forum doesn't have 'applause' emoticons so I'll use a Japanese emoticon

m(_ _)m

(kowtow, indicating respect)

BTW I'm most impressed by the slimblade incorporation into the keyboard. I took apart my slimblade but could not figure out any reasonably easy way to get that done.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 10:22:54 »

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

YESSSSSSSSSSS, IT IS FINISHED AND BEAUTIFUL. It's everything I was hoping it would be. Lovely lovely stuff!

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 10:52:47 »
*waits for a version with an analag pad instead of a trackball*

Shoryuuuken!

Offline pkircher

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 12:25:35 »
as for hot dying abs (stubborn plastic) .. you can use acceton to the color water mix

the tester is crucial

there are ALOT of ABS mixtures and there is no 100% holy formular ..

i figured about 10-30% acceton works best .. of course take it slowley in 5% steps and babysit the caps .. !

hope that helps

amazing project .. i own a lathe and a 3 axis cnc . .but that would be far to much work for me .. i tip my hat to you sir

« Last Edit: Sun, 31 May 2015, 12:29:19 by pkircher »

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 15:47:42 »
as for hot dying abs (stubborn plastic) .. you can use acceton to the color water mix

the tester is crucial

there are ALOT of ABS mixtures and there is no 100% holy formular ..

i figured about 10-30% acceton works best .. of course take it slowley in 5% steps and babysit the caps .. !

hope that helps

amazing project .. i own a lathe and a 3 axis cnc . .but that would be far to much work for me .. i tip my hat to you sir

Be careful with that method.  Acetone dissolves ABS, over-doing it could damage the surface of the polymer or the overall structural integrity (more prone to cracking under use). 

5% baby steps for sure

Offline kurplop

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 20:55:22 »
Thanks for all the complements.  I've been out of the country all last week and had very limited internet access to respond.

And I have a Yoga, too, which makes me realize exactly how compact it is. You do have huge hands, though. Video of you typing? :p

My hands aren't that big, just old and beat up. They probably look bigger than they are because the Alumaplop is so small. I am planning on a video in the near future.

Woah, where did all the 1x modifiers come from? Did you print them yourself somehow?

They are all stock ML caps except the 4 built up ones in the thumb cluster.  I had to trim some of them that were stepped but that was a simple snip with the shears. I have many donor ML boards to harvest from.

BTW I'm most impressed by the slimblade incorporation into the keyboard. I took apart my slimblade but could not figure out any reasonably easy way to get that done.
Thanks. The Slimblade is actually pretty easy to adapt to a keyboard; at least the way I did it. PM me if there's anything I can help you with on yours. Most of the process is similar to the method I logged in my ErgoDox and Trackball Tray thread. One thing I did was carefully remove much of the Slimblade's internal structure but leaving just enough to mount to the Alumaplop's shell. In the end I used a urethane based adhesive to join the two together. I'm confident that it will remain secure but at the expense of making it permanent. The Slimblade takes a minimal footprint given the ball size and I stand by my decision to use it.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 20:58:52 »
I'll take one in MX  :p

But seriously, I've been following this from beginning to end, and I'm ridiculously happy to see it finished. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I'm glad you were able to complete it!
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #148 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 00:52:01 »
This is super neat!

Offline kurplop

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 00:54:05 »
I added some pictures of the Alumaplop to my Flickr page.https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurplop/sets/72157651718823173

Most of them are in this thread but I added a few more and they're all together along with comments.