Author Topic: Noob Question - Hot swappable build  (Read 1567 times)

Offline cheetodust

Noob Question - Hot swappable build
« on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 09:20:44 »
I tried searching but I couldn't find an answer to this specific question.  I'm planning a hot swappable 60% build for the near future using a DZ60 pcb.  What I want to know is:  once you have the sockets soldered to the pcb, and the pcb mounted to the case, are the sockets the only thing holding on the plate and switches at that point?  If so, do the sockets do a good job of keeping everything together firmly, or is general looseness or separation of the plate from the pcb a concern on these builds?

Offline cheetodust

Re: Noob Question - Hot swappable build
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 05:52:35 »
Bumping for wisdom of the elders

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 06:32:52 »
When using a hotswap PCB you want to use 5 pin switches which hold the switches to the PCB very well. There won't be any looseness.

Offline mike-y

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 09:08:39 »
Yes, the friction of the sockets you use (holtites, etc) is ultimately what holds everything together.  if you are using a plate, you just have to be mindful when pulling keycaps to hold down the other keys to keep them from lifting up.  if they do, they just go back in though.

Offline cheetodust

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 09:47:22 »
When using a hotswap PCB you want to use 5 pin switches which hold the switches to the PCB very well. There won't be any looseness.

Yes, the friction of the sockets you use (holtites, etc) is ultimately what holds everything together.  if you are using a plate, you just have to be mindful when pulling keycaps to hold down the other keys to keep them from lifting up.  if they do, they just go back in though.
Excellent, thanks for the responses.  I'll take a look for 5-pin switches then.  I hadn't even considered that a plateless build would mitigate this, but I do kinda have my heart set on a brass plate for this build.