Author Topic: [GB] GMK Astral Light  (Read 214063 times)

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
[GB] GMK Astral Light
« on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 12:52:07 »
GMK Astral Light

"Astral Light is inspired by the heroes' adventures of fantasy RPG/TTRPG worlds."

For anyone who missed out, I believe that some of the vendors will be picking up extra kits.

Join their newsletter and/or follow them on socials to keep tabs.

All kits will be produced. Numbers thus far (final numbers TBA):

Base: 1052
Extension: 188
Novelties: 421
Spacebars: 339
Deskmat (Light): 175
Deskmat (Dark): 152

GB Dates: March 5, 2021 - April 5, 2021
Est. shipping time: Q1 2022 (production lead time ~42 weeks + sample verification)

Vendors
Project Keyboard (NA) https://store.projectkeyboard.com/collections/gmk-astral-light
DailyClack (AUS) https://dailyclack.com/collections/group-buys/products/gmk-astral-light
MyKeyboard (EU) https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/group-buys/gmk-astral_428/
Deskhero (CA) https://www.deskhero.ca/products/gmk-astral
iLumKB (ASIA) https://ilumkb.com/products/gb-gmk-astral-light

Manufacturer: GMK
Profile: Cherry
Sculpt: 1/1/2/3/4/4
Plastic: ABS
Colors:
Alphas: Custom Pantone C
Modifiers: Custom Pantone C
Accents: Custom Pantone C

Pricing
Base ($129 USD) - Covers most layouts (60%, 65%, 75%, TKL, 96-key, 1800/CP and fullsize)
Extension ($65 USD) - Extended support for UK ISO, 40s, Alice, and Split layouts. F13 and Windowed caps accommodate for aesthetics. Legends on windowed keys are pad printed.
Novelties ($38 USD) - RPG/TTRPG dice and icons.
Spacebars ($35 USD) - Extended spacebar support and accents.

Collaborations

Casper Keys North Star Artisan Cap ($38 USD)
R1 Cherry with an MX stem. Aluminum 6061-T6 bead blasted and anodized.

* North Star artisan group buy is run separately from Astral set vendors.

Available at Casper Keys: https://casperkeys.com/products/gmk-astral-north-star

Miroticaps Andromeda x Astral Light ($65 USD)
R1 Cherry with an MX Stem. Resin Casted.

* Miros Andromeda artisan is available separately from Astral set vendors and will be available on March 26th, 2021.

Available at Miroticaps Discord Server: https://discord.gg/jCJ9RbwqaF

Casper Keys North Star Artisan
(This artisan group buy is run by Casper Keys, separately from Astral set vendors. Please visit the Casper Keys website linked above)

Miroticaps Andromeda Artisan
(This artisan group buy is run by Miroticaps, separately from Astral set vendors. Please visit the Miroticaps Discord server linked above)

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 April 2021, 11:48:33 by NaturalPack »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] GMK Astral Light
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 15:50:36 »
Approved :thumb:

Offline maximize

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 21:16:58 »
This is gonna be huge. So subtle, so satisfying.

Offline thanatic

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 13:18:51 »
Hello,

Are there any pictures of windowed keys? You mentioned windowed keys are pad printed. Does that mean a actual windows picture? I don't see it in the extensions kit.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 21:13:54 »
Hello,

Are there any pictures of windowed keys? You mentioned windowed keys are pad printed. Does that mean a actual windows picture? I don't see it in the extensions kit.

Hi,

On the rendered image of the Extensions kit, the kit with the two big Enter keys, there are a few keycaps that have little "windows". If you click on the image to enlarge it, you'll be able to see the keycaps that are labelled as "window".

No relation to Microsoft Windows  :)

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 09:08:50 »
Continuing my request from iC thread, I don't see any renders with novelties, extensions, spacebars or deskmats. Can you please add them

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 21:34:38 »

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 09:15:32 »
Are you going to provide more renders? This is the first GB I have seen that only has a render of base kit (only 4 renders) and no signs of other 3 kits. Very lazy for a seasoned designer. No other keyset has this much insufficient renders

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 14:48:54 »
I'm more concerned with the kitting. As a Mac user with 7u spacebar, I need to buy an expensive extension kit. On top of that it may not hit the MOQ. In which case I will stuck with a base set I can't use.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 16:22:04 »
I’m intrigued by this set, I wouldn’t normally say yes and yet I can’t look away.

I’d like to provide the normal person perspective that 4 renders isn’t lazy.

Offline stevenopoly

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 20:16:45 »
4 renders not sufficient? What else do you need to see? The renders show everything you need. BUY! BUY! BUY!!!  :thumb:

Offline Mark The Weeb

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 21:37:16 »
i love the soft blue !

Offline thanatic

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 01:55:34 »
Did this get extended to April 9? The dates on keycaplender seemed to have changed from April 5 to 9th?

Offline thanatic

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 01:57:50 »
Hello,

Hi,

On the rendered image of the Extensions kit, the kit with the two big Enter keys, there are a few keycaps that have little "windows". If you click on the image to enlarge it, you'll be able to see the keycaps that are labelled as "window".

No relation to Microsoft Windows  :)

Ohhhh got it the shine through on through on the keys. gotcha.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 03:08:31 »
Did this get extended to April 9? The dates on keycaplender seemed to have changed from April 5 to 9th?

KeycapLendar's fine print shows only Daily Clack is running thru April 9th.  The other vendors' sites all say April 5th.

Offline stevenopoly

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 09:49:09 »
do we have an MOQ update?

Offline break

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 12:06:07 »
I'm more concerned with the kitting. As a Mac user with 7u spacebar, I need to buy an expensive extension kit. On top of that it may not hit the MOQ. In which case I will stuck with a base set I can't use.

Hey Andrei! I'm confused. Why doesn't the Tsangan support in the base kit cover your needs? I'm a Mac user too, and it usually covers me just fine.

Edit: Natural, best of luck with your GB! Vaporwave brought me deep into keysets, so I'm rooting for you and this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2021, 12:37:10 by break »

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 12:32:47 »

Might be a typo. Vendors correct me if I'm mistaken, but GB end date is still April 5th to my knowledge.

Offline andreiborisov

[GB] GMK Astral Light
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 16:35:03 »

Hey Andrei! I'm confused. Why doesn't the Tsangan support in the base kit cover your needs? I'm a Mac user too, and it usually covers me just fine.

Command (for which I’d use Code) is the closest to the spacebar, so it needs to be 1.5u. Do you swap yours with Option or just use Alt as Command?
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2021, 16:40:40 by andreiborisov »

Offline XiXora

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 16:45:16 »

Command (for which I’d use Code) is the closest to the spacebar, so it needs to be 1.5u. Do you swap yours with Option or just use Alt as Command?

Also, it needs a 2nd 1u Alt.

I'm happy with an extension kit, as I want some other keys in it. I'd rather have an extension kit than no support at all like most other kits. I have realised I am in a niche within a niche I this hobby.

Offline break

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 16:46:15 »

I use Alt as Command, but I touch-type and don't look at my keyboard. I have controversial opinions about legend correctness. :)

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 16:59:29 »

I use Alt as Command, but I touch-type and don't look at my keyboard. I have controversial opinions about legend correctness. :)

I wonder, how many people in this hobby don’t touch type and buy sets because they actually need the legends

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 18:55:35 »

I wonder, how many people in this hobby don’t touch type and buy sets because they actually need the legends

I'm wondering if anyone has done a survey for this topic. I've been curious about this topic as well. I confess that when I discovered this hobby, I was very selective about sets/kits and their legends because I desperately needed them  :)

Offline break

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 20:57:50 »

You can't say I didn't warn you - controversial ;)

Offline thanatic

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 02:52:53 »

KeycapLendar's fine print shows only Daily Clack is running thru April 9th.  The other vendors' sites all say April 5th.

Show Image

Right it shows 9th right under the title. Daily Clack shows nothing like your image, but it does say 0th if I actually go to Daily Clack. Thanks.

Offline 7equals7

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 11:10:03 »
any updates to numbers?

Offline bert039

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 19:19:03 »
I really want to know numbers also. Just afraid of placing an order and the gb falling through. If I buy through project key specifically, what happens in that situation?

Offline itsazly

• website place
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 21:57:06 »
Also tuning in for a numbers update. I already purchased, but I really hope that this set goes thru.

Offline pcire

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 23:12:59 »
The best way to get a set made is to buy it as early as possible.
Imagine if everyone waited to see the set hit MOQ by itself!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 00:44:59 »
I really want to know numbers also. Just afraid of placing an order and the gb falling through. If I buy through project key specifically, what happens in that situation?

You get your money back at the end of the month.

Offline bert039

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 01:31:34 »
Thanks, I was just unsure due to the disclaimers on the site. Efff it then let's gooo

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 10:11:11 »
4 renders not sufficient? What else do you need to see? The renders show everything you need. BUY! BUY! BUY!!!  :thumb:

Ugh, renders with novelties or how those green spacebars looks with base kit etc? Its not about numbers but you need to show different combinations with different kits to help people visualize. Its a common sense thing to do this and there is not even a single other GB thread that has renders of only base kit. I like how designer is perfectly ignoring the question.

Anyway, I really liked this set, but severely lacking renders, no colours etc are making it look like designer hasn't put efforts since it was pre-ic state. Good luck.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 10:29:39 »

Ugh, renders with novelties or how those green spacebars looks with base kit etc? Its not about numbers but you need to show different combinations with different kits to help people visualize. Its a common sense thing to do this and there is not even a single other GB thread that has renders of only base kit. I like how designer is perfectly ignoring the question.

Anyway, I really liked this set, but severely lacking renders, no colours etc are making it look like designer hasn't put efforts since it was pre-ic state. Good luck.

UGH OMFG UGH

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 10:57:49 »
I like how designer is perfectly ignoring the question.

Except he made a new render.

Offline bert039

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 23:54:52 »
Bought my set today!

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 11:24:40 »

UGH OMFG UGH

Dont you love it when you have to explain something so obvious

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 11:25:42 »
I like how designer is perfectly ignoring the question.

Except he made a new render.

Yeah, it was added recently after the comments. Nice to see a render with novelties

Offline maximize

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 21:10:32 »
How are the numbers looking?

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 02:04:52 »

Offline yhs

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 03:36:11 »
I’m puzzled this does not receive more love. Copped base and extensions, I’m sure it’ll look great on a PC board!

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 12:51:33 »

Added in three more renders for us here. I meant to address this a while back but in-person life got a bit hectic.

Sorry for leaving you hanging  :)

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 12:55:53 »

I haven't been able to load some of dvorcol's graph images. Might just be an issue on my end.

But just in case, here are the numbers in plain text as of 3/30/21

Base 225
MOQs: 250 / 500 / 1000 / 1500 / 2000 / 2500

Extension 49
MOQs: 100 / 150 / 250 / 500 / 1000

Novelties 107
MOQs: 100 / 150 / 250 / 500 / 1000 / 1500

Spacebars 91

Deskmat (Light) 39
Deskmat (Dark) 41

Not including extras.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 16:12:44 »

I haven't been able to load some of dvorcol's graph images. Might just be an issue on my end.

Base 225

Extension 49

Novelties 107

Spacebars 91

Deskmat (Light) 39
Deskmat (Dark) 41

Not including extras.

FYI I can see dvorcol's previous post, the numbers for the basekit match what you wrote down, maybe it is just some browser issue,

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 17:59:57 »

Base 225

Extension 49

Novelties 107

Spacebars 91

Deskmat (Light) 39
Deskmat (Dark) 41

Not including extras.

FYI I can see dvorcol's previous post, the numbers for the basekit match what you wrote down, maybe it is just some browser issue,

Got it. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline bert039

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 19:08:17 »
I was just going to try to pick up the base and extension but something about these colors just hits right  :thumb:. I'm gonna see if I can add the other two kits to my order also.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 21:21:26 »
More

Base 225

Extension 49

Novelties 107

Spacebars 91

Deskmat (Light) 39
Deskmat (Dark) 41

Not including extras.

Using IMGUR might fix this issue, but it's a violation of their official rules to store images there just to post elsewhere.  If caught they might kick you out, breaking links to all your IMGUR images.  I learned this when biip was kicked out last year, so I use postimage.

Offline Morgan3Wheeler

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 21:53:26 »
It seem that the sizes of the 'Shift' keys in Extension kit are 2.25, 2, 1.25, 1 , but the notation seems to be wrong.
KMAC Happy red HHKB / KMAC Mini red / KMAC 2 86 / 45-ATS cerakote white / Matrix Noah avocado green / Matrix2.0 WKL yellow / Matrix2.0 WKL red / Matrix2.0 add WKL / Matrix Abel X RX-78 / Matrix Abel X Eva / Matrix1.2 OG WKL purple blue / Percent BOOSTER yellow /  Percent CANOE yellow / Percent Canoe2 casio / Percent SKOG mao / TGR 910 CE pink / TGR Jane CE WKL olive green/ TGR Jane V2 WKL blue gray/ TGR Jane V2 CE WKL / TGR Alice red / Keycult No. 2 Rev. 1 / EXENT65 black / GRAYCOD 67 mao / CA66 e-white / Think6.5 V2 LE / Think6.5 V2 robocop / Think6.5 V2 snow white / SPACE 65 R1 black / Typewriter68 e-white/ E6.5 pc / E7-V1 mao white/ E8.5 WKL e-white/ Voclano660 e-white / Moon by EVE WKL carbon / JER-Mini gray / JER80S NCR WKL geekhack / JER80S NCR WKL Korean / Dolumina65 black / Elephant S7 R2 e-white / Bear 65 ergo e-white, black, blue, pink, PC / Fox key65 e-white / Cyberboard purple / Saturn-60 moondust / Saturn-60 supernova / Infinitum / Rama M65a e-white / Rama Jules navy / Rama Zenith ouro / Rama U80-A Seq2 soya / Primus75 / 7V blue / / Cajal gray / Cajal e-white / SQUARE.X 6ea / Time 80 Reforged WKL e-white / J-01 rev1 Black / J-02 LE Poker e-white / OTD 356 Mini R1 red / LZ-CE red / LZ-CE gray / LZ-CLSms silver/ LZ-PhysiX gray / LZ-SQ SE titan gray / LZ-EX titan gray /  LZ-ST silver / LZ-FE WKL silver/ LZ-CLS WKL silver/ LZ-CLS WKL black / LZ-MP gray / LZ-MX SE titan gray / LZ-CP black-blue / LZ-CP red-red SE / LZ-RV gray / Light Pad silver / Light Pad gray / Octagon V2 gray / Orion V2 WKL silver-red / Orion V2.5 WKL gray / Dol Pad dolch / Dolinger 2017 dolch / Dolinger RE yellow/ Dolinger RE PC / Whale-Fe / Dolphin V3 dolch / Montage PC WKL / F1-8X WKL gray / F1-8X WKL navy / F1-8X WKL burgandy / AL.BOK WKL silver

Offline 7equals7

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 06:33:27 »
Might just be me but the new renders look like slightly different colours to the original renders?

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 10:15:11 »
@NaturalPack can you confirm that all the kits will be made?

Offline bert039

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 13:03:11 »
Interested to know also!