Author Topic: What keyboard has cream of the crop rubber domes for salvage?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
I want to get my hands on some rubber domes that I can make use of in my own devices. The problem I've had so far, chopping up keyboards, is that the new ones seem to use the rubber dome only as a means to press two sheets of plastic together to form the connection. Soldering to those sheets looks like an effort in futility, so I think that perhaps I want the other style rubber dome that has the conductive circle at the bottom that bridges an open circuit when depressed. Anybody know what keyboard I could hack up to find such a thing? I'd prefer one with a small travel, <3mm, but 4mm would work too I guess.

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
Re: What keyboard has cream of the crop rubber domes for salvage?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 21:29:06 »
It occurred to me that the types of rubber domes I'm talking about don't exist in any keyboards and I just remember them from taking apart calculators or remote controls. Can anyone shine some light on this?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:00:06 »
I know what you're talking about, found some in both house phones I disassembled if that helps.  I don't know how to rate them though, and I guess you're looking for lots the same?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:47:43 »
BTC has made keyboards with conductive domes over printed circuit board. The BTC 51X9 series are quite common, plus they also have mostly Cherry MX-compatible keycaps in the same profile as Signature Plastics' DCS.

But are you sure that you wouldn't instead want the feel of a coiled spring in combination with a microswitch?
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:50:53 by Findecanor »

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 13:27:25 »
Orange: yeah it'd have to be a lot. Definitely want them from a keyboard if possible.

BTC has made keyboards with conductive domes over printed circuit board. The BTC 51X9 series are quite common, plus they also have mostly Cherry MX-compatible keycaps in the same profile as Signature Plastics' DCS.

But are you sure that you wouldn't instead want the feel of a coiled spring in combination with a microswitch?

Thanks I'll check them out.

And I would be very interested in a coiled spring + microswitch at the very bottom feel! What has such a mechanism?

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2016, 13:29:33 by Zekromtor »

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 08:29:31 »
Findecanor, were you merely referencing, in jest, the thread I made ages ago when I mentioned the coiled spring + micro switch at bottom idea, you Swedish trickster?