Author Topic: EXENT 65% Custom Keyboard (most exciting community project of 2017)  (Read 118034 times)

Offline Traveler

Re: EXENT 65% Custom Keyboard (most exciting community project of 2017)
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 16:27:02 »
I'm just torn between this board and the RS2+ on MassDrop right now. My plan is to wait for Exent GB until the last day of the drop. If the GB doesn't open in time I'll do the other one.

Can any one of you fine folk convince me one way or the other?

It's a tough call, and one I pondered over for a few hours once I saw that Massdrop released. It's arguably my favorite Red Scarf. A 65% form factor and plenty of macro keys if you find yourself missing something vital. And a Zealios switch option I would definitely go for (I like my lighter actuation, so the 65g offered would suite me).

Ultimately I've decided to go with the Exent, unless something goes terribly wrong. And I guess if something does go wrong it'll be too judging by the lack of info that we currently have on this GB haha.
The biggest reason I'm choosing Exent is because of how unique and potentially exclusive/rare it will be. There will always be boards at least relatively similar to the Red Scarf II+ Ver.b. And this is the second time I know of that it's ran, so it might come around again later. But that is not guaranteed with the Exent. We have no idea if we'll ever get another chance to buy it (and I'm guessing we won't; that it'll just be one run).

My other main reason is that the quality of the Exent is going to be superb. Probably worlds better than the Red Scarf II+ Ver.b.

Good luck with your decision man. That's just my conclusion after finding myself in your same situation.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #451 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 16:29:39 »
Wait is Exent going to be a Group Buy? Or will it just go on sale somewhere?

Offline Traveler

« Reply #452 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 17:03:06 »

Group buy; won't be in a marketplace AFAIK (although any leftovers might end up on one). Fortunately not raffle style though last I heard. But details have already changed without notice about the group buy (like the drop date), so anything could happen.

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #453 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 17:04:34 »
I'm just torn between this board and the RS2+ on MassDrop right now. My plan is to wait for Exent GB until the last day of the drop. If the GB doesn't open in time I'll do the other one.

I had a RS68, and IMO, the PCB being used in the Exent is going to be much better - I disliked programming the pcb and feel that it is a little sub-par quality-wise when comparing to others out there now. I think the build quality in general of the Exent is going to be much much better.. Definitely more unique as well. I have since sold my RS68 and am definitely buying the Exent.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 January 2017, 17:06:30 by BAS1C »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #454 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 17:10:56 »
Ultimately I've decided to go with the Exent, unless something goes terribly wrong. And I guess if something does go wrong it'll be too judging by the lack of info that we currently have on this GB haha.

Group buy; won't be in a marketplace AFAIK (although any leftovers might end up on one). Fortunately not raffle style though last I heard. But details have already changed without notice about the group buy (like the drop date), so anything could happen.

Lol, what are you on about? What lack of info or details changing without notice are you experiencing? This is an IC, the entire point is that some things are still undecided. This is the latest update from juahenza. This is how community-run GBs work. :))

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #455 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 17:16:28 »

Lol, what are you on about? What lack of info or details changing without notice are you experiencing? This is an IC, the entire point is that some things are still undecided. This is the latest update from juahenza. This is how community-run GBs work. :))

In their defense, there was a timeline set for the period of last week... And during that period, it was said "soon". I'm not trying to bash anyone, just stating that there was a timeline defined at one point, and Traveler isn't 'on' about anything.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #456 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 17:20:30 »
In their defense, there was a timeline set for the period of last week... And during that period, it was said "soon". I'm not trying to bash anyone, just stating that there was a timeline defined at one point, and Traveler isn't 'on' about anything.

Right… and in the meantime, another update has been provided and pictures of the completed prototype have been posted. Everything's clearly progressing, just not as quickly as the GB leaders originally expected. It seems pretty disingenuous to claim that there's been a lack of information and that details are changing out from under our feet, when the only detail that's changed has been when it will start, lol.

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #457 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 17:27:23 »

Right… and in the meantime, another update has been provided and pictures of the completed prototype have been posted. Everything's clearly progressing, just not as quickly as the GB leaders originally expected. It seems pretty disingenuous to claim that there's been a lack of information and that details are changing out from under our feet, when the only detail that's changed has been when it will start, lol.

True true. Here's hoping it's soon.. =D  My body is ready.

Offline kconfire

« Reply #458 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 17:29:53 »
Why you do this?
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline el_mechacontext

• You can find my body in the mechacontext.
« Reply #459 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 18:14:10 »

It's a tough call, and one I pondered over for a few hours once I saw that Massdrop released. It's arguably my favorite Red Scarf. A 65% form factor and plenty of macro keys if you find yourself missing something vital. And a Zealios switch option I would definitely go for (I like my lighter actuation, so the 65g offered would suite me).

The biggest reason I'm choosing Exent is because of how unique and potentially exclusive/rare it will be. There will always be boards at least relatively similar to the Red Scarf II+ Ver.b. And this is the second time I know of that it's ran, so it might come around again later. But that is not guaranteed with the Exent. We have no idea if we'll ever get another chance to buy it (and I'm guessing we won't; that it'll just be one run).

My other main reason is that the quality of the Exent is going to be superb. Probably worlds better than the Red Scarf II+ Ver.b.

Good luck with your decision man. That's just my conclusion after finding myself in your same situation.

Glad I'm not the only one, haha. You make some really good points. I'm pretty sure the EXENT is kind of a once-in-a-lifetime board. And I do really love that bezel. PLUS, I've been specifically looking for a heavy board (a huge departure from my HHKB, because holy crap this thing is feather-light) and I think the EXENT fits the bill a lot better than the RS does.

In fact, really just typing all the pros like this really seals the deal on the EXENT for me as well. There really don't seem to be any cons in sight, tbh.
Pok3r MX Clears | CM Storm Stealth MX Blues | Dell AT101W Alps Blacks | Happy Hacking Keyboard Uni 45g | Ortholinear Planck Gateron Blacks

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #460 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 19:34:17 »
The RS78 is a great board, I absolutely love mine.  That being said, there has been 2 drops within 6 or so months and who knows if there will be another round of the Exent.  I think it's an easy choice on which one to go for.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
« Reply #461 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 22:57:47 »
 :rolleyes:

TBH, none of us really love the design until we hold it in hand (true story). Especially for a big Kustom fan like me.
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline kconfire

« Reply #462 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 23:27:11 »
oops forgot to quote your post- how do I delete a comment here?
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 January 2017, 23:31:25 by kconfire »

Offline kconfire

« Reply #463 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 23:28:23 »

TBH, none of us really love the design until we hold it in hand (true story). Especially for a big Kustom fan like me.

But... but will you do any future GBs for something like TGR Jane?
I missed all the great Custom Keyboard GBs that ever happened in my life (I think)

Although I was able to get the Rama's M65-A and will most likely get this M67 as well, my soul is still empty in the corner with a missing TGR Jane/Duck Viper v2/Duck Orion v2  ;D

Now that my wallet is ready...I can't wait to jump on future GBs!! :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 January 2017, 23:30:59 by kconfire »

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #464 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 23:34:22 »
Guys, I am posting the GB thread now  :eek:
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline kconfire

« Reply #465 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 23:35:40 »
YASSSSSSSSSSSSSS come to daddy

Offline robbles

« Reply #466 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 00:13:36 »

JUA PLS! I don't see it.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #467 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 00:31:31 »

Would approve, but it still looks like work in progress?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #468 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 00:36:46 »

ghostjuggernaut is right, but checkout manofinterest's video review of the last RedScarf78 on Massdrop. It was really informative.

Good lord, the typing portions of that video are borderline unbearable.
I have a RS68 and I have none of the problems that he has with the 78. There might be a bug difference between the models. My Rs68 is amazing to type on.

Sent from my microwave oven using alternating current

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #469 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 01:43:38 »

True, you didn't love me until you touched me

hmmmm....
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #470 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 05:40:33 »
I'm having so much trouble deciding the color that I think I will need 2 :(

Sent from my microwave oven using alternating current

Offline ironpup

• Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #471 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 06:02:13 »

:eek: :p

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2017, 06:58:11 by riotonthebay »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #473 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 09:33:23 »

Offline ntw

« Reply #474 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 09:57:42 »
What's this?

Looks like the thread for the group buy.

its a signal for us to abandon ship and jump to the groupbuy hype train!!
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #475 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:50:42 »
I'm gonna go ahead and lock this for OP.