Author Topic: What ya reading?  (Read 127586 times)

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Re: What ya reading?
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 18:48:38 »
Finished the dawn of wonder. Pretty good. Moving on to Robin Hobb though. Starting with Assassins apprentice:

-Dana

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 05:41:57 »
These days I am reading a book Outliers. It is a book about success. Can everyone become successful? Yes, but how? Well, read the book to know that.

Half way through myself. Interesting read, huh?  :)

Lol, was really busy and just finished the book two days ago. :D About to start the second book in South Reach trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer called Authority.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 06:40:56 »

About to start the second book in South Reach trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer called Authority.

That was a long and difficult read. For me it was equal parts fascinating and frustrating, but ultimately unsatisfying. No doubt that was the intent all along.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 10:21:16 »

About to start the second book in South Reach trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer called Authority.

That was a long and difficult read. For me it was equal parts fascinating and frustrating, but ultimately unsatisfying. No doubt that was the intent all along.

The first book was a quick read but gotta say it was both fascinating and frustrating too. Have heard quite a few people saying that series are engaging but at the same time a bit boring and all over the place. I liked the first one but it's probably the first horror book I've read. Unless you count some Latvian classics (not horror but a lot of sad stories about unhappy unlucky people doing all the wrong choices and thus suffering their whole life).

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 15:38:40 »
I just started One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. I first watched the film about a year ago and have been ruminating on it since. It really made an impression on me and I wanted to see how the book it's based on compares to it.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 16:47:28 »
Been reading a lot of Lovecraft lately. I was always curious but his work intimidated me. And with good reason too since I can't read his stuff without google to look up a word every 3 lines lol but I love his stuff. My gf bought me a big ass book with most of his published stories and I can't get enough.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 11:34:27 »
Been reading a lot of Lovecraft lately. I was always curious but his work intimidated me. And with good reason too since I can't read his stuff without google to look up a word every 3 lines lol but I love his stuff. My gf bought me a big ass book with most of his published stories and I can't get enough.

I've been meaning to get into Lovecraft, myself. I know what you mean about having to look up fancy words. I kept a pocket dictionary bundled with my Lord of the Rings books (pre-internet days) for just that reason.  :thumb:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #207 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 11:49:50 »

I've been meaning to get into Lovecraft, myself. I know what you mean about having to look up fancy words. I kept a pocket dictionary bundled with my Lord of the Rings books (pre-internet days) for just that reason.  :thumb:

It really feels like a steep learning curve but he uses a lot of the same words throughout his stories so once you get over the hump, it's not so much of a problem. Really worth it though. You really should check his stuff out. Not sure if you've checked out any of hos stuff but I recommend Shadow Over Innsmouth :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline smarmar

« Reply #208 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 12:43:58 »

It really feels like a steep learning curve but he uses a lot of the same words throughout his stories so once you get over the hump, it's not so much of a problem. Really worth it though. You really should check his stuff out. Not sure if you've checked out any of hos stuff but I recommend Shadow Over Innsmouth :)

He's on my ever-expanding list of authors I need to check out. I've played the tabletop RPG Delta Green, which is based off of Call of Cthulhu, which is based off of Lovecraft's works.

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #209 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 12:52:13 »

He's on my ever-expanding list of authors I need to check out. I've played the tabletop RPG Delta Green, which is based off of Call of Cthulhu, which is based off of Lovecraft's works.

A lot of people start off reading Call of Cthulhu and I did as well. Personally I think it wasn't the best way to go since the story feels like a chunk of a larger story taken out of context (which it is if you consider Lovecraft's universe as the larger story). I was lost until I read some of his other stories. I'd love to check out Delta Green but sadly none of my friends are into tabletops

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 11:20:39 »
Just finished reading The World in My Pocket by James Hadley Chase

Thanks for resurrecting this thread! Even I forgot this existed lol. :D

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 14:10:34 »
to kill a mockingbird in class

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 14:35:24 »
The Fires of Heaven 

Offline sarahnicole

• //add comment here later
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 15:15:56 »
to kill a mockingbird in class

An American public school rite of passage

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 18 October 2019, 10:00:34 »
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline kwerdenker

• thinkkwer.eu
« Reply #215 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 15:50:59 »
"David Mogo Godhunter" by Suyi Davies Okungbowa
Started reading it because I read in a description the term Nigerian Godpunk genre and was very interested in that. Does not dissapoint in that regard btw.

Next up is one of these:
  • The Robots of Gotham - Todd McAulty
  • The Shepherd's Crown - Terry Pratchett
  • Star Trek The Next Generation: The U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D Illustrated Handbook - Multiple Authors

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #216 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 12:13:08 »
Reading merchant of venice by william shakespeare for school project

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #217 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 13:46:09 »

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #218 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 07:17:26 »
Damn this thread is a phoenix, resurrecting from time to time. Have forgotten about this. :D

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 07:24:42 »
Working my way though the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan. I'm 32 days in and on book #6, Lord of Chaos

edit: okay, 72 days in, definitely slowing down. Just read book 0 and now I've started book #11, Knife of Dreams

edit edit: 80 days in, had to speed up. 25% through book 14. I don't want to finish this series.

edit edit edit: 81 days. It was an ending.

I wish I was a slower reader. Guess I'll have to do it all again sometime...
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 April 2020, 18:09:02 by biothermal »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 08:27:21 »
"A Conspiracy So Immense" by David Oshinsky

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #221 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 19:01:42 »
I just discovered Cormack McCarthty, what an absolutely brilliant writer. Currently reading Blood Meridian. It's very very good.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #222 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 07:45:28 »
I just discovered Cormack McCarthty, what an absolutely brilliant writer. Currently reading Blood Meridian. It's very very good.

My favorite has always been "Suttree" because it is the one that felt the most immediate and relevant to the actual time and place where he lived. The other ones have felt more contrived.

PS - the "All the Pretty Horses" movie truly sucked in comparison to the book, even more so than usual

Offline gipetto

« Reply #223 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 13:28:17 »
I've just started the holographic universe by michael talbot. I find it heavy reading as it aims at being a scientific text.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #224 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 16:32:32 »
My nephew gave me to Blood Meridian about a year ago. I've had it on my book shelf for almost a year (I'm a slow reader) and decided to pick it up recently. Whoa...that's some deep, violent sh*t! Now I wanna read more of Cormac McCarthy.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #225 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 16:34:58 »
My nephew gave me to Blood Meridian about a year ago. I've had it on my book shelf for almost a year (I'm a slow reader) and decided to pick it up recently. Whoa...that's some deep, violent sh*t! Now I wanna read more of Cormac McCarthy.

Judge Holden is one of the greatest bad guys ever written. Seriously.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #226 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 16:50:43 »
I'm currently re-reading a lot. Sometimes comfort comes in the familiar.

I'm re-reading Ready Player One at the moment and after that I'll be re-reading The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern, because I felt like I didn't keep track well enough the first time, haha.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline smarmar

« Reply #227 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 17:15:42 »

Judge Holden is one of the greatest bad guys ever written. Seriously.
I just got introduced to him in my latest chapter. Can't wait!
McCarthy has a writing style that I'm not familiar with so it's taking me more time than normal to get through the book. He blows through 3 or 4 scene changes in a single sentence!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #228 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 17:20:17 »

I'm re-reading Ready Player One at the moment

Off-topic, but I never saw the movie because I heard that it was really awful. Did anybody here think it stood up to the book?

Offline Sniping

« Reply #229 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 17:22:29 »
i hardly read. most recently e-flipped through the new google site reliability engineering book that dropped a week ago with my friend.

Offline Tinman39

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 17:35:07 »
I just finished Artemis by Andy Weir (same author who wrote The Martian) and started reading Alpha and Omega by Harry Turtledove.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #231 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 17:55:21 »
Reading through Prey by Michael Crichton

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 18:28:22 »
Almost finished "Island" by Aldous Huxley.

It was his last book and the one he was most proud of, and one of the best utopian novels I have read. Recommended.

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #233 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 11:43:24 »

I'm re-reading Ready Player One at the moment

Off-topic, but I never saw the movie because I heard that it was really awful. Did anybody here think it stood up to the book?

They tried to make it live up to the book in weird ways--giving it a totally different narrative emphasis. The movie was pretty **** compared to the book.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 11:15:51 »
Book 4 in the Vatta's War Sci-Fi series.

244176-0

But the biggest news is I just got a(nother) new E-reader, a Kobo Libra H2O.
This is very nice.

244178-1
REΛLFORCE

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #235 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 04:45:54 »
Chemistry of Death by Simon Beckett - I actually listening to audiobooks, almost finished sixth book in this series, last one.
First one, Chemistry of Death is awesome! If someone likes this kind of criminal/murder stories, I would definitely recommend!

« Last Edit: Wed, 23 November 2022, 18:30:48 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline BrickParade

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 12:28:22 »
doesn't look like this thread gets used very much but I'm always curious about what others are reading.

I recently finished "Spring Snow" by Yukio Mishima. I'm a big fan of his writing and though I don't always go for upperclass courtly drama novels I got drawn in pretty quick with this one. I'd really like to continue with the rest of the Sea of Fertility tetralogy but I haven't been able to go to my library due to lockdowns.

In the meantime I have started (though don't really expect to finish) "Male Fantasies," Klaus Theweleit's extensive analysis of the German "Freikorps" from the end of WWI to the start of WWII. It's very interesting but extremely dark. Turns out when you get a bunch of angry, alienated men together they start to do some really unchill ****.

Other than that I am slowly picking away at some electronics textbooks, trying to fill the (fairly substantial) gaps in my knowledge.

I'd love to hear what books you all are working through or have recently finished!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #237 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 12:44:05 »
Here is one that I recently finished. It was quite eye-opening and draws connections and conclusions that I had not recognized before. Sometimes he gets a little too personal and subjective, but you can overlook that in the greater scheme of things. Also, it is a few years old now, perhaps he has updated his emotions somewhat.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7655375-god-is-not-one?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=MY4WYKio0V&rank=1

This is the one that I am currently on, it is mostly extremely good but spins off into "goofy" territory occasionally. But still well worth reading. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23692271-sapiens

Offline BrickParade

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 15:30:46 »
Here is one that I recently finished. It was quite eye-opening and draws connections and conclusions that I had not recognized before. Sometimes he gets a little too personal and subjective, but you can overlook that in the greater scheme of things. Also, it is a few years old now, perhaps he has updated his emotions somewhat.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7655375-god-is-not-one?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=MY4WYKio0V&rank=1

That looks interesting, I might have to check it out. I don't know if I'd agree with him but I'd like to read the author's conclusions

This is the one that I am currently on, it is mostly extremely good but spins off into "goofy" territory occasionally. But still well worth reading. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23692271-sapiens

How does it get goofy? It looks like a great read but seems like if it was anything it would be dry.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 16:26:44 »

How does it get goofy? It looks like a great read but seems like if it was anything it would be dry.

It is not dry, the author worked hard to keep it peppy. But the last 2 chapters are titled "And They Lived Happily Ever After" and "The End of Homo Sapiens" so that might tell you something.

Offline Z41N

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 19:31:01 »
Reading right now: Bluets by Maggie Nelson
- Completely different than what I usually read (Sci-Fi, Mystery stuff)

Last read: Re-read Ready Player One. (DAT CATACLYSM MMMMF)

Offline BrickParade

« Reply #241 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 20:46:16 »
Reading right now: Bluets by Maggie Nelson
- Completely different than what I usually read (Sci-Fi, Mystery stuff)

what do you think of Bluets so far? I have a few friends who really like it but I've tried to start it a couple times and its never quite clicked.

Offline strongly-typed

• lux et veritas
    • Github
« Reply #242 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 22:59:07 »
The pandemic has made me a more productive redaer this year. So far I've made it through (or gotten halfway):
  • The Last Wish - Andrzej Sapkowski
  • Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
  • The Fellowship of the Ring - J. R. R. Tolkien - (started, got bored)
  • The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein - (started, got bored)
  • The Three Body Problem - Cixin Liu - (Loved it!)
  • Minimum Wage Magic - Rachel Aaron - (interesting premise, but I didn't really like how it developed)
  • The Life of Rebecca Jones - Angharad Price

Now I'm currently going through a few books at the same time:
  • Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup - John Carreyrou
  • Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata: Familia Romana - Hans H. Ψrberg
  • Wool - Hugh Howey
  • My Dear Hamilton - Stephanie Dray & Laura Komoie
Realforce 87U 45g Silent :: Realforce 87U 30g Silent :: Realforce R2 55g :: Niz Plum 87 with 45g topre domes
English | Spanish | Italian | Latin | Portuguese | Mandarin | Cantonese | Japanese | Welsh | OCaml

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 02:49:09 »
Currently re-reading: The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

I loved The Night Circus, up there as one of my favourite books of all time, and had high hopes for The Starless Sea. Felt a little disappointed the first time round, but I speed read it, so I'm taking the time to go back over it and see if I still feel the same way.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 00:44:08 »
Taboo material, apparently.

Offline greys

« Reply #245 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 01:56:31 »
I just finished Mona Lisa Overdrive from William Gibson's The Sprawl Trilogy.
it's a interesting series.

Offline brokenglasshero

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 20:35:11 »
Halfway through the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. I'm loving it so much i'm trying to savour the journey by not reading too fast...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #247 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 09:49:08 »
Currently about 2/3 of the way through "It Was All a Lie" by Stuart Stevens, Republican strategist and advertiser.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/48806578-it-was-all-a-lie

It is similar to "Everything Trump Touches Dies" by Rick Wilson but better, more serious and less dark humor.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39312362-everything-trump-touches-dies?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=UFrFxynBS2&rank=1

Offline smarmar

« Reply #248 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:53:10 »
Reading through Prey by Michael Crichton
Prey is also on my shelf, waiting in the queue. It seems that by the time I get around to reading any Crichton books the story is already dated  :))

I just finished Mona Lisa Overdrive from William Gibson's The Sprawl Trilogy.
it's a interesting series.
How was it? I've started Neuromancer twice so far and quit about halfway through both times. I'll try one final attempt to get through it and if I don't succeed...I'll burn it.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #249 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 19:58:00 »
I just started The Gonzo Way by Anita Thompson. I'm hoping that I'll bring away from it something that'll change my life for the better. This year took me by the cruffs and pinned me to the warehouse wall. Here's hoping for new horizons in 2021. :thumb: