Author Topic: Which is my next keyboard??  (Read 4749 times)

Offline RobbieFresh

Which is my next keyboard??
« on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 00:06:36 »
Hi,

I'm looking to snag a new board for work and need some opinions. At home, I've been using a Rosewill RK‑9000V2 (Cherry MX Blue) for the past few years and and I really like it. Here are my stipulations:

1) No bells and whistles: I don't care for back-lighting, macros, knobs, etc. I just want a plain, full-sized black keyboard with black keys and white legends.
2) Gotta have the Cherry MX Blues.
3) Looking for PBTs out of the box, but I could settle for ABS if they're nice.
4) Price < $200.
5) Compatible with 40A-R O-rings.

Here's what I've been thinking so far:

1) Buy another Rosewill but replace stock keys with ABS. (Estimated price ~$130-140)
2) Filco Majestouch-2 (doesn't have PBT's and costs around $140 but apparently is the nicer version of the Rosewill?)
3) This Leopold FC980M ($119) : https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2823 (Comes with PBT's but non-standard key caps?... Not sure if I'd replace the keys anyways. Cheaper than the other options though)

Out of my options, which is the best? And are there any other boards meeting my requirements you could recommend me? Thanks!

Offline reijikyosuke

Re: Which is my next keyboard??
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 00:23:52 »
Hi,

I'm looking to snag a new board for work and need some opinions. At home, I've been using a Rosewill RK‑9000V2 (Cherry MX Blue) for the past few years and and I really like it. Here are my stipulations:

1) No bells and whistles: I don't care for back-lighting, macros, knobs, etc. I just want a plain, full-sized black keyboard with black keys and white legends.
2) Gotta have the Cherry MX Blues.
3) Looking for PBTs out of the box, but I could settle for ABS if they're nice.
4) Price < $200.
5) Compatible with 40A-R O-rings.

Here's what I've been thinking so far:

1) Buy another Rosewill but replace stock keys with ABS. (Estimated price ~$130-140)
2) Filco Majestouch-2 (doesn't have PBT's and costs around $140 but apparently is the nicer version of the Rosewill?)
3) This Leopold FC980M ($119) : https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2823 (Comes with PBT's but non-standard key caps?... Not sure if I'd replace the keys anyways. Cheaper than the other options though)

Out of my options, which is the best? And are there any other boards meeting my requirements you could recommend me? Thanks!

Buying another Rosewill is kinda... waste? I mean, having the same board on office and home would likely boring IMO. But that's your choice.

I'd prefer to recommend you buy Filco keebs, Leopold are good, too! But yes, the R_Shift 1.75u and the numpad 0 are not a standard one (both on 1.75u and 1u). But I think, both of 'em feel pretty nice (did try the Majestouch 2, Filco MiniLa and MiniLa Air, Leopold FC980M and FC980C).

in short : if you didn't mind to change any of your caps, buy Leopold. Otherwise, Filco is your friend.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 08:03:32 »
Well if you want a keyboard like that buy the same one or something new :)

current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline RobbieFresh

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 09:21:30 »
Anyone have opinions/experience with that Leopold board?

Offline duckboi

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 09:26:14 »

I have experience with a leopold board of another layout and I was really impressed with it. That's a solid choice.  :thumb:
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline Comment

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 09:43:25 »
I picked up a Leopold FC980C and it was a fantastic purchase. I am loving the build quality. It feels so sturdy and never creaks at all. The keycaps are fine as well but I'm kinda stuck with them since it's a Topre board. The plate-mounted switched are great.
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline RobbieFresh

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 09:46:17 »

I have experience with a leopold board of another layout and I was really impressed with it. That's a solid choice.  :thumb:

Cool, how do the Leopold PBT keys feel?

Offline duckboi

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 13:58:34 »
Cool, how do the Leopold PBT keys feel?

I only tried them briefly at a friend's house, but if I remember correctly they were pretty nice. The legends were good and it had a kinda rough texture (coarser than hhkb texture for sure).
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline Entropia

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 17:25:03 »
I own two Leopolds FC980M with MX blacks and front printed 1,5 mm thick PBT keycaps. Apart from the outstanding build quality and finish of these keyboard, I have to say that the keycaps feel amazing. Even the sound is pleasing, and they are just linear switches! I think the thickness of the keycaps has a lot to do with how the keyboard feels and sounds. Of, and of course the retooled black switches feel butter smooth compared to blacks from years ago. Honestly, I think it's really nonsense to think about replacing the keycaps of these Leopolds, and even more now, when you can choose front printed, double shots with top legends and some color combinations.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 April 2018, 17:26:55 by Entropia »

Offline RobbieFresh

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 19:24:47 »
I own two Leopolds FC980M with MX blacks and front printed 1,5 mm thick PBT keycaps. Apart from the outstanding build quality and finish of these keyboard, I have to say that the keycaps feel amazing. Even the sound is pleasing, and they are just linear switches! I think the thickness of the keycaps has a lot to do with how the keyboard feels and sounds. Of, and of course the retooled black switches feel butter smooth compared to blacks from years ago. Honestly, I think it's really nonsense to think about replacing the keycaps of these Leopolds, and even more now, when you can choose front printed, double shots with top legends and some color combinations.

What stabilizers do Leopold's use? I know there's some concern that Costar stabilizers rub against thick PBT keys. Also, any opinion on the non-standard key layout? Also are the keys OEM profile?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 19:36:17 »

What stabilizers do Leopold's use? I know there's some concern that Costar stabilizers rub against thick PBT keys. Also, any opinion on the non-standard key layout? Also are the keys OEM profile?

Cherry stabilizers,  stock keycaps are great so no need to replace and the profile is most similar to cherry profile.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Entropia

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 10:57:53 »

They use Cherry stabs, but clipped, which means that they have an improved design. The long keys do feel however, a bit different from the rest, but still very nice.  I have no complains in this sense.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 23:56:42 »
Leopold keyboards basically fit your description. I own a FC980C and a FC750M and they're both superb. No fluff, no back lighting, no cyber fonts, but they get all the fundamentals perfectly. Leopold just focuses on the features that matter.

Here's a review of the FC980C in case you want some additional information:
https://macclack.com/reviewed-leopold-fc980c/

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 02:58:33 »
Leopold keyboards basically fit your description. I own a FC980C and a FC750M and they're both superb. No fluff, no back lighting, no cyber fonts, but they get all the fundamentals perfectly. Leopold just focuses on the features that matter.

Here's a review of the FC980C in case you want some additional information:
https://macclack.com/reviewed-leopold-fc980c/

Man your reviews are top notch just wanted to point that out  :).
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 11:00:17 »

Man your reviews are top notch just wanted to point that out  :).

Thanks!

Offline zappysnap

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 12:02:34 »
Another vote for the Leopold FC980M...I have one at work, and I absolutely love it.  (Cherry clears, though...I can't stand the high pitch of blues...box navy is my clicky switch of choice).  Leopold makes really, really nice keyboards, and the stock caps are very thick doubleshot PBT, and they feel amazing.  There are some keys that are not quite standard size, but the FC980M is covered almost always by any GMK set, or any set that offers an 'alternative mods' kit.

My board (with stock caps):

The keycap, showing thickness and the quality doubleshot process:

And to show you can definitely get replacement caps for this board:
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 April 2018, 12:04:49 by zappysnap »
YMDK96/XD96, Holy Panda, Infinikey Hive
DZ60RGB, 67g Zealio v2, SA Oblivion
Varmilo VA68M, Box Navy, SA Ashen
MA60 v2, Wood case, Novelkeys Cream, XDA Canvas
DZ60, 78g Zealios, Lambo case, DSA Geode (custom sublimated)
Leopold FC980M, MX Clear, EnjoyPBT 9009

Offline RobbieFresh

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 18:55:27 »
Ok.....so I got the Filco Majestouch 2 w/ Cherry Blues! Here's why: I snagged one from Amazon warehouse deals for $100 instead of $150! Basically it's brand new, but the packaging was damaged.

BUT, I'm having a bit of buyers remorse right now. I've been using it for a few days now, but for some reason the switches feel a lot stiffer than on my Rosewill RK-9000v2, also with Blues. I've had that keyboard for a few years now and like it a lot. Filco's build quality does seem a bit nicer compared to Rosewill, but nothing noticeable.

Has anyone else had this experience with Filco's? The cherry blues feeling"heavy"? Should I return it? I'm starting to think maybe I should have gotten the Leopold fc900r pd...

Have I gotten so used to "inferior" build quality in the Rosewill that maybe I don't like the feel of higher end boards?

Any opinions?
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 April 2018, 18:57:08 by RobbieFresh »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 19:04:35 »
Cherry switches need a significant "breaking in" period. Also, landing pads are good with blue Cherry switches if you want a change.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 01:03:37 »
Leopold is also nice because it lacks the inflated cost of some other similar boards like Varmillo.  I concur with Leopold. Also, isn't Rosewill known for crappy products?

I never noticed the stabs were clipped.  I will look.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 12:16:39 »
Depends on what forums you browse as to whether Rosewill is "crap" or not. They sell mostly middling products, not really great but certainly not bad either. I've owned many Rosewill products and other than minor issues which is expected at the price point, I've had no major complaints. They get a bad rap I think because they had some less than stellar power supplies like 10 years ago and some people can't let go of the past.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170