Author Topic: KPAD ReDIY: TheProfosist!  (Read 9763 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
KPAD ReDIY: TheProfosist!
« on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 19:55:50 »
I decided to make a thread about rebuilding a KPAD in pictures. Check it out below!

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Re: KPAD ReDIY: TheProfosist!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 16:29:42 »
Talk about a lot of images

looks good though :thumbsup:
Keyboardless

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 16:30:37 »
Prof lol....you could have shown that in like 5 pictures instead of 100!

Also you could use some newer tenkey keycaps.  Looking good

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 16:40:38 »
Wow!  Fantastic :)

Also, you are the 2012 winner for the most pictures in a single post.  And approaching the most pictures in a single thread.

Er, but did it take longer to do the keybad, or the photos?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 17:08:29 »
niiiice

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 17:11:30 »
He likes attention.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 17:12:50 »
Talk about a lot of images

looks good though :thumbsup:
yea took a while to get everything up. If anyone wants any higher res images let me know their already up on photobucket but photobucket now uses websize for all direct linking and posting.

Also i tried to enter this thread in tapatalk and it crashed 2x think someone could add (mobile users beware) in the thread title because i tried but it wouldnt let me because the post apparently exceeds 20000 characters or something.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 17:22:03 »
Prof lol....you could have shown that in like 5 pictures instead of 100!

Also you could use some newer tenkey keycaps.  Looking good
maybe 50 min, but i think 158 did the trick.

yes, yes i could the rest of that keyset was shiny as well but not that shiny, previous owner must have been an accountant.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 17:42:34 »
i'm jealous of this, i'm using a cheapo logitech wireless number pad with my HHKB and Poker. Its completely unsexy.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 17:43:05 »
lol so many pics. You may want to put "56k warning" so that guys in countries that don't get to enjoy high speed internet won't wait forever. So basically you're trying to tell the story that you converted green switches with red stickers to ergo-clears with 62g springs, green stickers, lube, O-rings, and zinc caps right? Are those the gold springs I sent you?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 17:45:28 »

Also, you are the 2012 winner for the most pictures in a single post.  And approaching the most pictures in a single thread.

"keybad" :(

...probably the photos...

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 17:46:22 »
NIIIIIIICE

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 18:35:13 »
lol so many pics. You may want to put "56k warning" so that guys in countries that don't get to enjoy high speed internet won't wait forever. So basically you're trying to tell the story that you converted green switches with red stickers to ergo-clears with 62g springs, green stickers, lube, O-rings, and zinc caps right? Are those the gold springs I sent you?
well as I said above I tried to put (mobile users beware) but since the post is over the character limit I would have to remove something to change anything in it including the thread title.

Yep thats basically it, and yep I used some of the springs you sent.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 18:39:06 »
Honestly i love the amount of pictures. In fact post more  :D Makes me understand the process better. Makes me wish i had something to build right now.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 18:44:20 »
Honestly i love the amount of pictures. In fact post more  :D Makes me understand the process better. Makes me wish i had something to build right now.

^ This.  What are the rubber pads you used as a work surface?  Final product is sexy imo.  Ignore the haters :D
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 19:53:56 »
Thanks i tried to get as much detail as I could. And as i mentioned before if you would like higher res versions of the shots you just have to mention it because their already uploaded.

Have you looked into the Phantom GB and GH60 project?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 20:00:14 »

^ This.  What are the rubber pads you used as a work surface?  Final product is sexy imo.  Ignore the haters :D
What Im using is OXO Silicone Drying Mat. I use them to protect my desk and to protect the item im working on. I really do need one or 2 more for my desk I just bought 2 to start and their very nice. if your on the cheap and are only working on TKL you can just get one as a TKL keyboard fits almost exactly.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 20:53:02 »

LOL didn't notice that one.  Definitely a keygood :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 21:00:47 »

LOL didn't notice that one.  Definitely a keygood :)
:D :D :D

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 21:26:43 »

What Im using is OXO Silicone Drying Mat. I use them to protect my desk and to protect the item im working on. I really do need one or 2 more for my desk I just bought 2 to start and their very nice. if your on the cheap and are only working on TKL you can just get one as a TKL keyboard fits almost exactly.

I shoulda known it was OXO.  Looks really useful for this kind of work...springs and small screws will get trapped in the grooves and can't roll away.
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 21:29:17 »

I shoulda known it was OXO.  Looks really useful for this kind of work...springs and small screws will get trapped in the grooves and can't roll away.
yep and they werent too badly priced I didnt think. And their soft to protect those KMACs

Offline brianvoo

• Poisoned
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 21:34:53 »
The pictures really tell a complete story for a newb like me. Awesome work.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 22:25:19 »
Thanks i tried to get as much detail as I could. And as i mentioned before if you would like higher res versions of the shots you just have to mention it because their already uploaded.

Have you looked into the Phantom GB and GH60 project?

The projects are something i am browsed through yes, but i'm not sure how to get started both in purchasing and building; i can solder but I've never had to do anything but simple things like repair a mini-b usb port on an old phone and solder wires together which is much easier than working on a board.

If you have higher res pictures that would be great, on any DIY project you have i am interested.  :D

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 22:40:53 »
Here is a link to the album with them in http://tinyurl.com/d7o7zuw
to download the original (which now looks like more work than it should be) click the pic you want then options and download.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 22:44:38 »
Here is a link to the album with them in http://tinyurl.com/d7o7zuw
to download the original (which now looks like more work than it should be) click the pic you want then options and download.

Awesome!

Offline Amble

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 22:47:29 »
No offense, but... that kpad with gold keycaps and red esc is freaking sweet. :)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 22:50:08 »
No offense, but... that kpad with gold keycaps and red esc is freaking sweet. :)
umm... how would hat offend me?

Offline Amble

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 22:54:34 »
Just wanted to add a little drama to make it a "OH...ok" kind of moment.  Seriously though, one of nicest looking things I have seen on this site.  :)

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 14:54:48 »
Nice work! With the green backlighting it reminds me somehow of a club in the 80s.
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline takaki

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 14:59:49 »

No way to buy this ? :(

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 16:25:25 »
Show Image

No way to buy this ? :(
not alone no buy you might be able to find a Kit or a Built one but that is also unlikely.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 18:48:49 »
not alone no buy you might be able to find a Kit or a Built one but that is also unlikely.

:( that sucks, i would love to attempt (and probably fail) at building one of these.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 19:44:55 »

:( that sucks, i would love to attempt (and probably fail) at building one of these.
Well you wouldnt want to fail as ive seen wones that have been fixed after someone messed up and their not pretty.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 10:37:02 »
Prof you've been killing me with your there, they're, and theirs  :p

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 11:12:03 »
I know! Spell check PLEASE! :P

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 11:15:54 »
I know! Spell check PLEASE! :P

Not spell check
  "... messed up and they're not pretty."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 11:16:27 »
Alas, grammar check then... :P

Offline KeyPop

• * Vendor
  • www.KeyPop.net [키팝.net]
    • KeyPop.net
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 11:29:45 »
God that's just gorgeous!~

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 04:33:13 »
I dont use grammar, sorries :P

it is my defining trait no?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 04:48:41 »
O added a 10000mcd orange led to the Fn key as the leds finally got here. I tried out manual mode on my camera though I dont know if the pics turned out any better. The last two should be the best and the first one just kinda turned out cool.

Offline nebo

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 12:48:13 »

Maybe soon?
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38360.0

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: KPAD ReDIY: TheProfosist!
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 01:47:39 »

Maybe soon?
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38360.0
i believe thats just a case so we have to design a pcb to fit.

Offline takaki

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 14:33:33 »
I think he already has a PCB design in mind. It would be really great if he could include the LED circuitry like the one in KPAD, it would be perfect.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 02:53:20 »
This thread crashes tapatalk on my phone :(

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 03:34:53 »
Part of the beauty of this project is its a tenkey, and its a case fitted to the plate. We design our projects to fit lots of things, which lowers the cost, but it makes it less of a complete product.

This thread has so many pictures and I love it!
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: KPAD ReDIY: TheProfosist!
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 03:52:46 »
Part of the beauty of this project is its a tenkey, and its a case fitted to the plate. We design our projects to fit lots of things, which lowers the cost, but it makes it less of a complete product.

This thread has so many pictures and I love it!
lol well i could do more or better final shots now that I got my dslr...