Author Topic: [IC] BOCC - End on 3/10 | Order Overview | Actual product pictures  (Read 78228 times)

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
Re: [IC] BOCC - VENDOR / COST / FINAL DESIGN UPDATED (14/8)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 11:04:17 »
It's a good layout.It would be better if there were a Bluetooth version.

Can we get a more concrete answer on this? Is Bluetooth available at all? In the original post, it was available. Then an update said it was removed on the Polycarbonate version. But what about the aluminum version? Is it still available?

I'd love to have this as BT keyboard! Yes!

Agree! I understand there might be an interference but PC version might be a viable option for a bluetooth. It was stated though in the first update that the bluetooth has been removed unfortunately and there were a few who explicitly stated they would like to have a non-hotswap, non-bluetooth version.
I'd happily payed more for a blutooth version but I also understand that testing it and making it work just right would take considerable amount of time for the designers of the Bocc. It may not be worth the time and effort if community in general is happy with the board regardless of the blutooth available or not.

Again though, I'm with you on having a blutooth as an option :)

We are looking to see if we can offer one more kind of hot-swap PCB that is bluetooth compatible. The case itself has a notch for inserting battery in it, meaning that as long as there is a bluetooth compatible PCB, its all good. The problem is that shipping product with battery is extremely expensive due to the strict international shipping protocol regarding battery item. In light of that, if we do at last decide to offer hot-swap bluetooth compatible PCB in extras, you still have to get a battery somewhere else.

Offline hypnocandy

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 11:40:39 »
Are they already sold out? Or was there only a tiny window to get in on this?

don't worry the GB hasn't started yet so you can still get it

Oh awesome! Thanks.

Offline bvat

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 20:38:00 »
In light of that, if we do at last decide to offer hot-swap bluetooth compatible PCB in extras, you still have to get a battery somewhere else.
As long as the battery can be purchased from somewhere it's absolutely not a concern for me.
I mean regular li-ion batteries like these can be purchased at any corner.
Any DIY online shop would have them.

In summary: without the battery you still have your usb keyboard. With the battery you have your usb keyboard and you can (if you want to) use bluetooth instead.
I'm absolutely up for such an option! I think that would be an absolute badass of a keyboard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 August 2019, 23:27:19 by bvat »

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 00:55:55 »

Can we get a more concrete answer on this? Is Bluetooth available at all? In the original post, it was available. Then an update said it was removed on the Polycarbonate version. But what about the aluminum version? Is it still available?

I'd love to have this as BT keyboard! Yes!

Agree! I understand there might be an interference but PC version might be a viable option for a bluetooth. It was stated though in the first update that the bluetooth has been removed unfortunately and there were a few who explicitly stated they would like to have a non-hotswap, non-bluetooth version.
I'd happily payed more for a blutooth version but I also understand that testing it and making it work just right would take considerable amount of time for the designers of the Bocc. It may not be worth the time and effort if community in general is happy with the board regardless of the blutooth available or not.

Again though, I'm with you on having a blutooth as an option :)

We are looking to see if we can offer one more kind of hot-swap PCB that is bluetooth compatible. The case itself has a notch for inserting battery in it, meaning that as long as there is a bluetooth compatible PCB, its all good. The problem is that shipping product with battery is extremely expensive due to the strict international shipping protocol regarding battery item. In light of that, if we do at last decide to offer hot-swap bluetooth compatible PCB in extras, you still have to get a battery somewhere else.

I wouldn't let "not being able to supply a battery" with the keyboard stop you from making Bluetooth PCB. In fact, batteries are so easily attainable these days from sites such as Aliexpress that I think that it shouldn't be a hinder at all.

I'm all for BlueTooth. Bring it on! BT4.0

Offline orim23

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 05:29:47 »
I see that ISO is supported. Does this also include support for split left shift?

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 05:36:00 »
I see that ISO is supported. Does this also include support for split left shift?
Yes it will be supported.

Offline sachin3767

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 05:42:26 »
just want to add... +1 for bluetooth here.

Whitefox|Granite    Tex Yoda II     Exent | dev/tty      MX Master       Planck|Big Bang

Offline prototype26

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 08:56:44 »
Not to be rude, but do you have any prior experience of running keyboards gb before? I'm torn between this or NR65. On one hand, I prefer this design to NR65. On the other hand, NR65 gb runner is well known enough.

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 09:28:42 »
Not to be rude, but do you have any prior experience of running keyboards gb before? I'm torn between this or NR65. On one hand, I prefer this design to NR65. On the other hand, NR65 gb runner is well known enough.

This is our first run. But, because of that - not saying others wouldn't, we are very devoting to our first run because it sets the cornerstone of our reputation. Although there isn't anything more we could say to make you feel more secured, all we can do is to strive our best to maintain an open and translucent platform where everyone would be able to know our progress, our challenges and a reciprocative communication channel that ensures both parties are on the same ground. This is also why we have a relatively elaborated and detail "Change log" and "Update Summary" section in hopes of letting all of you to know what's going on, and the bigger picture.

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #159 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 16:56:32 »
I think there is nothing more important than communication with your targeted customers at this phase of a group buy. Listen to the audience, tailor the product to them and create an excellent keyboard.

Just don''t go MIA on us like the DORO67 project. That's was a huge disappointment.

Offline badboy731

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 20:45:59 »
I think there is nothing more important than communication with your targeted customers at this phase of a group buy. Listen to the audience, tailor the product to them and create an excellent keyboard.

Just don''t go MIA on us like the DORO67 project. That's was a huge disappointment.

Yikes what ended up happenig
E7-V1 | TGR Jane v2 CE | HBCP | GSKT-00 | Raine | AOS

Offline roguesystem087

« Reply #161 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 21:39:00 »
This is bloody incredible, I hope you guys open the GB soon, very excited for this.

''Update Summary:
14/8 GMT+8 Afternoon update
Removed extra free plates offered in PC version due to the decreased cost
Added clarification on whether spilt backspace is supported or not - the answer is yes

14/8 GMT+8 Evening update
Cap quantity of PC version is lifted, it is now unlimited
Cost finalization - 300USD + shipping
Supports WKL
Color options updated
Customers are able to choose their color combination (for more details, please refer to the above)
Prototype ordered - demo ETA late August (we're making a full disclose and in-depth tear down on the demo regarding the mounting system and other noteworthy stuff)
Vendor announcement - Thic Thock''

Offline prototype26

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 02:44:17 »

This is our first run. But, because of that - not saying others wouldn't, we are very devoting to our first run because it sets the cornerstone of our reputation. Although there isn't anything more we could say to make you feel more secured, all we can do is to strive our best to maintain an open and translucent platform where everyone would be able to know our progress, our challenges and a reciprocative communication channel that ensures both parties are on the same ground. This is also why we have a relatively elaborated and detail "Change log" and "Update Summary" section in hopes of letting all of you to know what's going on, and the bigger picture.

Understood. More color options would be nice, especially Teal or Cyan. Those two are quite popular recently with new boards.

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 11:25:47 »
Small Update

224794-0
224796-1

Prototypes in the making.

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 11:36:29 »
Awesome! I'd love to be a prototype tester!

Offline Sorachi.Ace

• Formerly CaptRobo
  • Co-owner of SodieCaps artisan keycaps
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 12:07:31 »
Nice! How does one even become a prototype tester? I have a bunch of switches with no home lol.

Offline sachin3767

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 14:45:07 »
Also gladly prototype test for you. Don’t even need a case, be happy to test this PCB. Looking forward to a Bluetooth custom board if it’s still being considered.

Whitefox|Granite    Tex Yoda II     Exent | dev/tty      MX Master       Planck|Big Bang

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 16:14:10 »
everyone wants to be proto tester

just give it to everyone for free problem solved

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline appaboy

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 16:16:25 »
me! me!
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Holicalis

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 16:33:46 »
Is the baby blue still going to be offered? It looks like the renders on the site are of a darker blue

Offline MMKB

Re: [IC] Bocc - an embodiment of utility and aesthetic (progress update 20/7)
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 18:11:47 »
the mounting system we proposed will be having the PCB screwed and locked in to the bottom case, while the plate will be screwed in and locked in place on the top case.Another thought we put into this design is that we hope that whoever appreciate hot-swappable PCB could easily change the plate by unscrewing it off the top case and swap it to another material to experience different typing feel. Last but not the least, user can enjoy the plateless set up on this mounting system as well.

- So if my understanding is correct… it’s top-mounting the plate and tray-mounting the PCB. But it requires the right amount of space between the plate and the PCB such that the switches can sit properly. The tolerance seems hard to achieve
- If someone solders the switches, does she need to screw the PCB to the bottom? I guess no?
- If someone uses a hot-swappable PCB and wants to change the plate material, she would still need to pop out all the switches, unless she has the same 70 switches on the other plate already. Doesn’t seem like an improvement either way.
- so I think it really only enables a plateless setup — a tray mounted plateless setup — which might not sound great imo.

I’m not against your design but if these details could be filled in that’d be helpful.  :thumb:

Still super interested in this keyboard but need some more info on the mounting methods please

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 18:20:20 »
everyone wants to be proto tester

just give it to everyone for free problem solved

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Prototype testers usually pay MORE for their kit as they're helping to fund the project.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline prototype26

Re: [IC] Bocc - an embodiment of utility and aesthetic (progress update 20/7)
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 19:44:22 »
the mounting system we proposed will be having the PCB screwed and locked in to the bottom case, while the plate will be screwed in and locked in place on the top case.Another thought we put into this design is that we hope that whoever appreciate hot-swappable PCB could easily change the plate by unscrewing it off the top case and swap it to another material to experience different typing feel. Last but not the least, user can enjoy the plateless set up on this mounting system as well.

- So if my understanding is correct… it’s top-mounting the plate and tray-mounting the PCB. But it requires the right amount of space between the plate and the PCB such that the switches can sit properly. The tolerance seems hard to achieve
- If someone solders the switches, does she need to screw the PCB to the bottom? I guess no?
- If someone uses a hot-swappable PCB and wants to change the plate material, she would still need to pop out all the switches, unless she has the same 70 switches on the other plate already. Doesn’t seem like an improvement either way.
- so I think it really only enables a plateless setup — a tray mounted plateless setup — which might not sound great imo.

I’m not against your design but if these details could be filled in that’d be helpful.  :thumb:

Still super interested in this keyboard but need some more info on the mounting methods please

All your points are legit. Now I'm confused  as to where the supposed improvement is located.

Offline briano1905

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 05:39:09 »
Prototype looking good!

Will there be an option for a non-shiny finish for the brass parts? or even an aluminum option would be great. I'd much prefer a finish that won't scratch so easily :)

Offline BuildSteady

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 03:16:44 »
Everyone wants to be a tester huh ~ shoot I’ll even post a video review.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 18:38:31 »
I'm in if there's Bluetooth.  I would actually like to have more Bluetooth-capable boards.  I don't mind having to supply my own battery.

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
[IC] BOCC - VENDOR / COST / FINAL DESIGN UPDATED (14/[emoji41]
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 01:45:12 »
Quick updates:

- Bluetooth compatibility is still in development. Further announcement on whether this will become a thing will be here soon.
- PC prototype production is almost coming to the end (actually we have sent a teaser to our Discord)
- ?? Coming soon

Offline jimboytacos

Re: [IC] BOCC - VENDOR / COST / FINAL DESIGN UPDATED (14/[emoji41]
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 10:36:01 »
Quick updates:

- Bluetooth compatibility is still in development. Further announcement on whether this will become a thing will be here soon.
- PC prototype production is almost coming to the end (actually we have sent a teaser to our Discord)
- ?? Coming soon
Thank you for that update. Quite a few of us here was asking for that BT. Yes!

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 14:12:49 »
I’ve been learning that there have been quality issues when it came to electrophoresis coloring for other GBs of the past. Just wanted to know if steps will be taken to ensure BOCC won’t share the same fate, I really like that e-white option.

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 14:40:25 »
I’ve been learning that there have been quality issues when it came to electrophoresis coloring for other GBs of the past. Just wanted to know if steps will be taken to ensure BOCC won’t share the same fate, I really like that e-white option.
We noticed electrophoresis coating's flaws, which is why we will make sure the final product is coated with an extra protective scratch resistant coating on top of the original color coating. Although this serves as a defense layer, it does not guarantee nor prevent scratch marks from appearing on the case when it is struck with different degree of forces; and we cannot also ensure that the case will be protected from damages that may be caused during the shipment / handling of the courier service. That said, we will carefully examine all the cases and make sure it is in perfect state before we ship it out and make sure there is enough protection within the packaging; that's the best we could offer and hope that make you feel confident on it.

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 00:42:55 »
In this picture, there is a silver weight on the right side (almost cut off). I've also noticed that it is larger than the brass weights on the left. Is this a special weight? I'd love to have a larger weight that is longer on the bottom- Also I think it'll be more porportionate. Is this possible?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=101417.0;attach=224796;image

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 02:30:15 »
Prototype looking good!

Will there be an option for a non-shiny finish for the brass parts? or even an aluminum option would be great. I'd much prefer a finish that won't scratch so easily :)
You can get a sand-blast brass plate on extra.

- Your understanding is correct. We will carefully monitor the tolerance in between to make sure its a feasible work for all setup.
- You could choose not to, but that defeats the sole purpose of this mounting system in the first place.
- Correct. But comparing to solder PCB, you wouldn't have to desolder all the switches to achieve plate swap.
- I will quote my explanation on Discord here - "Most of the mounting system, if not all, has their PCB alleviated in between cases. There is only 1 thing that consolidates the PCB's position, the plate, obviously, because most people will have their set up with a plate. Which is why sometimes there are many space in between PCB and bottom case, causing hollowness in typing sound or some people might find it not rigid enough and some would add a foam in between the PCB and bottom case in hopes of achieving a more singular bottom out typing sound. One of the reasons we implement this mounting system was that we hope to eliminate these flaws. Also, since the tray mounting points are on the edge, if you are looking to have a plate-less setup, the flex in the alpha would be more significant."

In this picture, there is a silver weight on the right side (almost cut off). I've also noticed that it is larger than the brass weights on the left. Is this a special weight? I'd love to have a larger weight that is longer on the bottom- Also I think it'll be more porportionate. Is this possible?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=101417.0;attach=224796;image
It should be just the camera angle problem, we didn't develop a special weight for BOCC. As for the request, since design is final now, we wouldn't change the weight size unfortunately - and that making it larger means more materials for weight, it entices increase in cost - which we believe many are avoiding it to get more expensive at this point. But thank you for your input.

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 02:40:32 »
Updates:

225286-1

- BOCC PC prototype 90% done, PVD brass sideweight didnt match our standard, we have re-ordered it and waiting for a revised version.
- BOCC Alu prototype in the making

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 03:00:14 »
Updates:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

- BOCC PC prototype 90% done, PVD brass sideweight didnt match our standard, we have re-ordered it and waiting for a revised version.

omg what is that plate? is it included if you order the Polycarbonate Version?

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
Re: [IC] BOCC - PC PROTOTYPE PICTURE ADDED(27/8)
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 03:07:08 »
Updates:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

omg what is that plate? is it included if you order the Polycarbonate Version?
PC plate, it will be available in extras. :p

Offline orim23

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 03:13:41 »
Updates:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

So, this plate doesn't support split backspace or split left shift...is this going to change?

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 03:14:51 »
Updates:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

So, this plate doesn't support split backspace or split left shift...is this going to change?
Yes, this is merely a prototype that was developed before we received feedback and made amendments;
The final product will support both of the mentioned layout.

Offline orim23

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 03:17:59 »
Updates:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Yes, this is merely a prototype that was developed before we received feedback and made amendments;
The final product will support both of the mentioned layout.
great! looking forward to the alu prototype!

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
Re: [IC] BOCC - MORE RENDERS ADDED (9/1)
« Reply #188 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 02:19:30 »
Quick update:

More renders added
Prototype on its way to my place

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 02:38:15 »
Quick update:

More renders added

Your constant communication is understated and much appreciated here. Thank you so much.
Cannot wait to see a working prototype!
Get this into GB already :D

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 03:07:39 »
Quick update:

More renders added

Your constant communication is understated and much appreciated here. Thank you so much.
Cannot wait to see a working prototype!
Get this into GB already :D
Thank you for the compliment, we will do our best to serve this community right  :-*

Offline bvat

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 03:08:50 »
Quick update:

More renders added

Joining to 'updates appreciation club'. Thank you for keeping this community in the loop.
New renders clearly show caps sitting deeper in the case to prevent light bleed and mask possible cap distortions at the bottom. I remember you mentioned you took it into account and it is nice to see in the renders too. Thank you for this design decision!

Can you post more renders from the sides (profile of the keyboard) and from behind where the port is or are angles for the render are fixed and you can't control them?
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 September 2019, 03:20:00 by bvat »

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #192 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 02:48:37 »
Quick update:

More renders added

Joining to 'updates appreciation club'. Thank you for keeping this community in the loop.
New renders clearly show caps sitting deeper in the case to prevent light bleed and mask possible cap distortions at the bottom. I remember you mentioned you took it into account and it is nice to see in the renders too. Thank you for this design decision!

Can you post more renders from the sides (profile of the keyboard) and from behind where the port is or are angles for the render are fixed and you can't control them?
Hmm, we will consider doing so because it inevitably will increase our cost.
But on the other hand, since I am going to get the prototype on hand soon, wouldn't it be better if I showcase the actual product?
There will be tear down and typing demo, rest assured!

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 00:54:32 »
Wow Jesus I've been sleeping on this, I'm going to have to get this! I've been wanting something like the JER Mini.

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 01:10:54 »
Quick update:

More renders added

Hmm, we will consider doing so because it inevitably will increase our cost.
But on the other hand, since I am going to get the prototype on hand soon, wouldn't it be better if I showcase the actual product?
There will be tear down and typing demo, rest assured!
Credit to Kingk22 for the amazing job!

225592-0
225594-1

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 01:41:00 »
I was really iffy on this, but the new renders definitely got me sold on this one. Very unique layout having the F-row on the side. Good job!

Offline bvat

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 03:39:45 »
Credit to Kingk22 for the amazing job!

Fantastic, thank you so much! Fingers crossed your tear down video happens sooner rather than later :)

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
Re: [IC] BOCC - SE & GB date announcement (9/3)
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 12:26:25 »
4/9 GMT+8 Midnight update
  • BOCC SE announcement
  • BOCC Group Buy date announcement
  • Extras - PVD Brass option has been taken away
  • Sales details have been updated

Offline roguesystem087

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 13:25:59 »
So the PVD brass weight is completely off the table for regulars? only available for the 'special' one that's going to be used for the vickrey auction?

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 13:29:23 »
So the PVD brass weight is completely off the table for regulars? only available for the 'special' one that's going to be used for the vickrey auction?
unfortunately, yes.

Edit: Scratch what I said
It's plate that is taken off, weight will still be PVD brass
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2019, 14:21:25 by senryo »