Author Topic: [GB] Matrix - Abel (received, shipping soon)  (Read 40874 times)

Offline TerryMathews

Re: [GB] Matrix - Abel (production complete, shipping from Matrix soon)
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 23:08:26 »
Did we ever find out what programming software Abel uses?

Offline VereChi

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 13:15:39 »

Matrix's pcb is unprogrammable. :'(

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 13:41:02 »

!

I wonder if a winkeyless pcb will fit
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 17:13:17 »

Lunarisdream, is this true? You listed it on Reddit as fully programmable.

Offline kuang2

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 00:43:26 »
All Abel was shipped before Chinese New Year.
The board is not programmable and wkl b.87 can not fit Abel case.

Offline dbucklin

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 10:08:30 »
That's really disappointing if true, and not what LunarisDream said in the Reddit thread.

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 10:55:35 »
Hmm I wonder what kinda layout the board's gonna use.

If its just gonna be a standard ansi layout, I think I can make it work, but backslash backspace is just to comfortable to let go
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 11:25:00 »
About the board's programming... I'll have to get back to you all on this. But I was told that it was programmable. Would be pretty ****ty if it was confirmed otherwise.

Offline frostylove

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 10:44:43 »
All keyboards from matrix lab are unprogrammable. And will not fit any other PCB except the original ones.

Suhr Custom Standard Carve Top
Manson DL-1 Matt Bellamy Signature
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A
Lovepedal Kanji Enternity

Offline dbucklin

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 12:33:11 »
All keyboards from matrix lab are unprogrammable. And will not fit any other PCB except the original ones.

For me, the ability to program a board is almost a must. I mean, I can type without a programmable board, but I've implemented some customizations that I'm used to and really like. In your signature, you have four Matrix boards listed. What is the draw of Matrix boards for you? Why do you invest in them if they are so expensive yet not programmable?

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:16:57 »
Yeah this is kind of shocking to me, too. Having programmability, and having linearly arranged dedicated arrow keys are the two requirements I have in any keyboard.

Offline joey

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:21:00 »
It's also a bit weird because the PCB doesn't require extra work to make it programmable.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:25:36 »
dis means good business for hasu, the usbtousb controller would help i guess

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 10:17:28 »

What the heck? A custom keyboard without the ability to be...custom?

Offline lolpes

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 10:24:26 »

Just brand it with a half eaten apple and its good to go!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 11:13:34 »

Just brand it with a half eaten apple and its good to go!

But you can't even reprogram an Apple keyboard...

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 13:01:21 »
Thats_the_joke.gif

Offline Data

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 14:50:18 »

I wonder what exactly makes it "unprogrammable".  Is it just the lack of a bootloader?  Is the firmware written in Ancient Sanskrit?  Custom controller?

Someone had to write that initial firmware.  Even if they didn't want to share their code, just knowing the pinouts and the controller type should be enough foundation to port another codebase or, worst case, write completely new firmware for it.  Though admittedly, I am the Jon Snow of firmware writing.

More
I know nothing.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 23:05:58 »
If one of the eight people who got in on this wants to sell their spot, send me a pm please  :p

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 10:22:09 »
Thats_the_joke.gif

That was a joke? It wasn't even good.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 10:30:23 »
The usbtousb controller doesn't work with the matrix 1.2 pcb. Not sure about the others.
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline dbucklin

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 17:03:32 »
If you're interested in taking my spot, PM me. I ordered a silver case with ANSI winkey layout and green Matrix logo badge (not the handwritten one). $285. You will be responsible for shipping charges, I believe.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 February 2017, 10:03:45 by dbucklin »

Offline joey

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 17:06:41 »
The usbtousb controller doesn't work with the matrix 1.2 pcb. Not sure about the others.
Know why?

Offline moogle

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 11:30:20 »
I'd like to purchase an Abel that's available.
Any configuration of the keyboard will do.

Offline frostylove

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 10:05:23 »

I wonder what exactly makes it "unprogrammable".  Is it just the lack of a bootloader?  Is the firmware written in Ancient Sanskrit?  Custom controller?

Someone had to write that initial firmware.  Even if they didn't want to share their code, just knowing the pinouts and the controller type should be enough foundation to port another codebase or, worst case, write completely new firmware for it.  Though admittedly, I am the Jon Snow of firmware writing.

More
I know nothing.

Alright, it's my fault for the misunderstanding. I should say "not available to update layout right now due to the lack of custom layout loader" instead of "unprogrammable" cause nowadays almost every microcontroller is programmable. As far as I know, there's no plan for the team to write the custom layout loader in the near future which would means "unprogrammable" to end-users.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 February 2017, 10:12:53 by frostylove »
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A

Offline joey

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 10:22:57 »

More
I know nothing.

Alright, it's my fault for the misunderstanding. I should say "not available to update layout right now due to the lack of custom layout loader" instead of "unprogrammable" cause nowadays almost every microcontroller is programmable. As far as I know, there's no plan for the team to write the custom layout loader in the near future which would means "unprogrammable" to end-users.
Do you know if the programmer header is exposed on the board?

Offline frostylove

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 21:07:06 »

More
I know nothing.

Do you know if the programmer header is exposed on the board?

I have no idea as I am not the designer.
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 21:34:59 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 March 2017, 08:24:10 by TerryMathews »

Offline aurora

• life
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 03:24:19 »
Anyone willing to sell?  :eek:

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 07:36:26 »
Update:

The Abels from this buy (that is, once again, graciously made possible by Cain from Matrix after the buy unexpectedly closed in China) have arrived. I've unpacked them all and gave cursory inspections. The quality is on point and I can see no visible defects, which attests to the attention to quality and detail that contributes to Matrix's reputation in China.

Everyone will get two logo plates in the handwritten style, one red and one green. I'm sorry to say that things didn't work out and I can't get the proper logo plates you chose back in December.

Everyone will get a coiled LINDY cable (as stated in the OP).

The PCBs are not programmable. I was grossly misinformed on that matter. If this is a dealbreaker and you'd like a refund, send me a PM or email (my username @ yahoo.com). Based on the info I've gathered, the Abel's case is NOT COMPATIBLE with other TKL PCBs.

I will be contacting/invoicing the buyers for shipping costs ($45) in a day or so.

Offline gnmar2723

Re: [GB] Matrix - Abel (received, shipping soon)
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 10:34:38 »
If anyone doesn't want theirs anymore, or if anyone drops out, I'd happily buy a spot that had normal wkl blockers. Send me a pm if that is you  :thumb:

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 12:31:07 »
So pumped, thanks again lunaris! Looking forward to building this fella up

Offline Weiss

• Impulse buying at its finest
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 20:26:25 »
I just wanted to say, I got my hands on a Matrix Abel earlier in the month.

The board was great, amazing anodization (though I had the MAO Ceramic White). It was odd to use such a low angle, and a rather light board but otherwise no complaints about the build quality.

Of course the non-programability of the PCB was a huuuuuge pain. I looked into as many ways as improving the board, though I ended up trading the board off. Here's what I found as good ways to fix up the board:

1. The PCBs you want are A.87 PCBs. Replacing your PCB with an A.87 PCB will give you all the programability you could ask for really, though there aren't any plates that I found that will fit with the case. I've checked Kin's TX87 PCB/Plate, but those are actually too big for the case. The Mech-27 plate doesn't fit the screws in the case, but the PCB should work. So, you could replace the PCB rather easily, but you'd need to get a plate custom made if you want to add compatibility for like split backspace or split right shift for example.

2. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0 Hasu's USB-USB converter should give you full programability as well, from what I assume. Probably the least work you'd need to do to at least give yourself full programability, but of course the plate will still leave you unable to adjust your keys to match what you do.

Offline HappyCatFish

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:42:59 »
Bummed that I was busy joining other GBs and I missed out on this.

I am loving the profile view and the low angle on this custom. I kinda miss less extreme angle after using the 11 degree Orion on my desk for so long.

Offline joey

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:47:47 »
I just wanted to say, I got my hands on a Matrix Abel earlier in the month.

The board was great, amazing anodization (though I had the MAO Ceramic White). It was odd to use such a low angle, and a rather light board but otherwise no complaints about the build quality.

Of course the non-programability of the PCB was a huuuuuge pain. I looked into as many ways as improving the board, though I ended up trading the board off. Here's what I found as good ways to fix up the board:

1. The PCBs you want are A.87 PCBs. Replacing your PCB with an A.87 PCB will give you all the programability you could ask for really, though there aren't any plates that I found that will fit with the case. I've checked Kin's TX87 PCB/Plate, but those are actually too big for the case. The Mech-27 plate doesn't fit the screws in the case, but the PCB should work. So, you could replace the PCB rather easily, but you'd need to get a plate custom made if you want to add compatibility for like split backspace or split right shift for example.

2. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0 Hasu's USB-USB converter should give you full programability as well, from what I assume. Probably the least work you'd need to do to at least give yourself full programability, but of course the plate will still leave you unable to adjust your keys to match what you do.
I was a bit surprised when they said no other PCB would fit this case..

Also the USB-USB adapter apparently doesn't work with the matrix pcb either..

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 23:06:13 »
Of course the non-programability of the PCB was a huuuuuge pain.

This isn't set in stone. I've been doing some research after I made my peace with the fact that the PCB is billed as non-programmable.

Opening the latest Abel firmware from matrix-lab.cn with a Hex editor confirms the controller is from ST Micro electronics (42B0) and that the firmware is based on CooCox RTOS (3F50). CooCox appears to be the "standard" IDE for ARM Cortex-M devices like Arduino IDE is for ATmega chips.

It is nowhere near as mature, however there are working ports of TMK and QMK to STM32 microcontrollers, which it appears Abel has.

No guarantees, but my plan is to get QMK running on Abel. Turns out I'm not getting an Abel after all. If someone wants me to port QMK to it, I'll need to borrow a completed keyboard or the PCB
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 April 2017, 03:56:58 by TerryMathews »

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 01:08:50 »
Of course the non-programability of the PCB was a huuuuuge pain.

This isn't set in stone. I've been doing some research after I made my peace with the fact that the PCB is billed as non-programmable.

Opening the latest Abel firmware from matrix-lab.cn with a Hex editor confirms the controller is from ST Micro electronics (42B0) and that the firmware is based on CooCox RTOS (3F50). CooCox appears to be the "standard" IDE for ARM Cortex-M devices like Arduino IDE is for ATmega chips.

It is nowhere near as mature, however there are working ports of TMK and QMK to STM32 microcontrollers, which it appears Abel has.

No guarantees, but my plan is to get QMK running on Abel.

That would be amazing if you could do that and share your findings here :D

Offline breckstar

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 20:54:49 »
Anyone know what the key between the winkey and ctrl on the right side does? It is not registering for me on keytester. Not sure if it was 'alt' or 'menu' or something else. If anyone has built their board and knows anything please let me know. This is on the 86 key. It is the 'menu' key on my board.
 Picture below.

Offline Gajible

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 20:56:51 »
Anyone know what the key between the winkey and ctrl on the right side does? It is not registering for me on keytester. Not sure if it was 'alt' or 'menu' or something else. If anyone has built their board and knows anything please let me know. This is on the 86 key. It is the 'menu' key on my board.
 Picture below.
Show Image

That's normal if you're using Aqua or something similar. It's essentially your "Function" key and this happens on most boards. The key works!

Offline breckstar

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 22:38:42 »
 Picture below.
Show Image

That's normal if you're using Aqua or something similar. It's essentially your "Function" key and this happens on most boards. The key works!
That is what I expected, but does any one know what the FN keymap is? I assume there is some LED control on FN layer.

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 23:46:34 »
 Picture below.
Show Image

That is what I expected, but does any one know what the FN keymap is? I assume there is some LED control on FN layer.

I am also wondering the same thing... was hoping the caps lock/scroll lock leds would come on by default at least too but doesn't look like they do.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 15:54:53 »
So did anybody figure out a way to reprogram the Abel yet? Anyone try Hasu's USB to USB converter with it? I've got an Abel ready to build but still slightly on the fence about whether to trade it or not... I want programmability for Colemak...

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 22:21:08 »
So did anybody figure out a way to reprogram the Abel yet? Anyone try Hasu's USB to USB converter with it? I've got an Abel ready to build but still slightly on the fence about whether to trade it or not... I want programmability for Colemak...

I believe QMK could be ported to it, and I'd be willing to do it, but I need a PCB or keyboard to work on.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 03:19:48 »

I believe QMK could be ported to it, and I'd be willing to do it, but I need a PCB or keyboard to work on.

Nice try  :))

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 06:04:07 »

I'm actually trying to get a spare PCB right now. Where are you based?

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 06:54:40 »

I'm actually trying to get a spare PCB right now. Where are you based?

Dayton, OH

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 06:57:26 »

I'm actually a pretty frequent contributor to QMK. The commits are out there, same user name.

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 14:48:28 »

I'm actually a pretty frequent contributor to QMK. The commits are out there, same user name.

Someone get this guy a pcb asap! I think there might be Abel pcbs available on Taobao as well

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 15:54:12 »

Sent a PM -- happy to loan out my PCB for the cause.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 16:15:35 »

Sent a PM -- happy to loan out my PCB for the cause.

That would be great. I'm trying to get an extra PCB from TaoBao via Frostylove and was considering loaning that out to Terry, but I'm in UK so it'd start to get expensive pretty quickly with postage. Besides, I'm yet to hear back from Frostylove on the purchase just now anyway. Hope you guys can work something out. I love this board! I love this community!