Author Topic: [IC] wind X – a large layout keyboard update more pics  (Read 37222 times)

Offline windlabs

[IC] wind X – a large layout keyboard update more pics
« on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 01:21:08 »
Wind.X

Hello Geekhack,
We are Wind Studio from China

Wind series:

The major difference is it allows for a 2U 0 key, which is very important to dozens of people, especially if you're used to typing 0 with your thumb. And then there are those that meet the requirements like Austin.

First of all, let's talk about the theme, simple appearance and enough sincerity of the internal structure optimization, I believe that is "interesting soul pick one in ten thousand, nice-looking  is the same".
The appearance is very simple, and very durable. The front arrow keys on the top and back of the strip out of the strip are brass weight

So the looks very simple, but what is the feature of this kit?
First of all, the kit is a three layer structure.

To allow for a sleeker look than the conventional three-layer structure, we adopted the design of the bottom case and the middle has a gap in between top and bottom. The silver waist line in the picture is part of the bottom case .

The plate is sandwhiched bottom case and the top case, and then the middle frame is fixed to the top frame to achieve this effect.

note:The plate has cut outs that supports the ability to remove stabs without complete disassembly,it is friendly to somebody new to this hobby.

Because it is a big layout, so we use the split plate and PCB.

This is done to maximize the Gasket experience. Originally, we planned to learn the popular large flex cut plate and PCB, after proofing, we found that such a long cut PCB would lead to the consistency of typing is poor, the middle will be very soft, and the harder it will be towards both sides. It was soft but it sacrificed too much consistency. So we changed the design.

The newly designed slotting method can achieve a relatively balanced state in soft projectile and feel consistency. It's a way that works for most people.

we also changed the original plate thickness from 1.6mm into 1+0.5mm, that is, 1mm plate (PC, POM, FR4) and 0.5mm silicone pad (shaw 40). The advantage of this is that when the switch is pressed, the switch will put pressure on the silcone pad in the first time. The reason why we adopted the hardness of 40 is that the hardness of 40 is relatively neutral, which can be of great help in the consistency of resilience.

we have one more layout question to address:
we will use two kinds of PCB (soldered and hot swap) (there will also be two kinds of plates). The soldered version can be compatible with large layout (recommended), but the hot swap version cannot be compatible with large layout, because the fixation of large keys and the easy disassembly of stablizer axis need to be considered, so hot swap can only be compatible with one kind of layout. (QMK&VIA)

All that's left is some basic information.

Material: 6063
Weight: brass (transparent electrophoresis)
Angle: 7 °
Fixed mode: Gasket

color  :

Anode: ano black , ano silver, ano gray, ano orange  (1655C),ano red  (186C)

Electrophoresis: e white, e yellow, e pink, e green (grass green)

Please fill out the IC Form

How:

Instock:200sets(e-white+e-yellow 80 sets,ano black+ano orange 60 sets,ano black+ano silver 60 sets)
GB: 300 units( no color limit, but only fixed combinations can be selected)
Price: standard:298 usd

When: November 10th 8:00(Beijing time)

more pics:

discord

update history:2021.09,28  IC
                       2021.10.01 update more pics
                       2021.10.21 update more GB color details
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 October 2021, 01:09:06 by windlabs »

Offline JonoColwell

Re: [IC] wind X – a large layout keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 01:33:00 »
Love me some windex

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 01:49:33 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 September 2021, 07:51:13 by Mecxs »

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 02:56:51 »
I love no prototype but have a price point already.

Offline ryanaleksander

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 03:03:55 »
Looks nice, if it's southpaw it would be an instant-buy for me. Too bad it's not. Good luck though.

Offline windlabs

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 03:45:53 »
Looks nice, if it's southpaw it would be an instant-buy for me. Too bad it's not. Good luck though.
already have protype

Offline BouncyChillups

• Formerly PleasantChaos
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 07:07:18 »
800 units for a first-time runner sounds fishy.

Offline juniper37559

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 08:10:24 »
800 units for a first-time runner sounds fishy.
I'm doubt too because you also claimed 200 instock 300 GB on Zfrontier. So you're doing total 1500 units QC?. :eek: That's a huge challenge especially for a first-time runner.

Offline AshF

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 09:20:38 »
Superb layout and defo up my street. Would be nice to have some distinguishing features however, anything to make it look more than 'just another KB'. Lay-out wise. love it.

It would be nice to know a little more about your background (as above) to help support / provide confidence that you can pull this off.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 September 2021, 11:24:58 by AshF »

Offline STUDIOBLB

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 13:08:18 »
Love this design! Would make for a great work keyboard!

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 14:59:57 »
Can you elaborate on: The newly designed slotting method can achieve a relatively balanced state in soft projectile and feel consistency. It's a way that works for most people.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline windlabs

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 19:16:43 »
Can you elaborate on: The newly designed slotting method can achieve a relatively balanced state in soft projectile and feel consistency. It's a way that works for most people.
pls see the flex cut on pcb

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
Re: [IC] wind X – a large layout keyboard update more pics
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 03:38:54 »
Finally, prototype pics. Nice.

Offline Michele

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 08:16:48 »
already have protype
are there renders or photos of the southpaw version? very interested

Offline linell

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 18:28:44 »
hoping southpaw comes to fruition
we need more :)
bro this a **** set, just be thankful you even getting 1 base running fr

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 October 2021, 05:56:53 »
looked amazing and sounded even better in Alexotos' stream yesterday. this board has me sold, e-pink please

Offline LMarci

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 08:12:45 »
Nice lumina sides

Offline Beegstation

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 22:15:48 »
This board is so cool, but I'm not sure where I will be able to buy it. What will the vendor be for the in stock buy?

Thanks in advance.

Offline HolyLamb

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 02:10:17 »
I've got a whole look planned out for a black and red one :0 Just gotta hope my wallet can handle it

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 15:42:55 »
Hmm happy November everyone
"Windex"

Hmm the "weight" must not add much mass
Also don't understand the flex cut pcb. You said you don't want long flex cuts, but then you proceeded to do long flex cuts on every row.

I like the 1+ 0.5mm approach, I will experiment with that on my own
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Blaircmoore20

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 16:06:51 »
How will I be able to purchase this? Don’t see a website link or directions on here just time and quantities being sold.

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 16:47:44 »
Ahhh I love this layout, one that I've been waiting for. Definitely interested especially at that price.

Offline Raptor_N60

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 09:31:01 »
It's about time for something like this! 2u numpad 0 is a must for me, heavy excel and autocad user here :thumb:

Offline mankikami

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 10:47:14 »
Not a fan of the triangle feets. It really put a stop to the overall simple elegant design. Is there any chance it might change for the groupbuy?

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 21:05:16 »
I was sold on this color:

but apparently it's not offered. Maybe in Round 2?

GLWS

Offline phatmasterq

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 06:26:59 »
hey guys, like other peeps in this thread, where do we go if we want to join this GB? 10 November is a few days away so... hope u give us some info pretty soon. Also: great layout, would love to support u if u tell me how.

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 11:20:47 »
https://windstudio.store/

Edit: not sure if I'm allowed to post this here so plz remove if so
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 November 2021, 11:22:24 by EightDiagram »

Offline akingcool

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 08 November 2021, 23:23:45 »
Anyone know where I can see photos of the ano black and white combo? Want to compare it to the black and silver combo

Offline Charks!

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 02:14:57 »
Anyone know where I can see photos of the ano black and white combo? Want to compare it to the black and silver combo

Only pic i saw is at the main webpage, scroll down till' the end.

Offline Shorle

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 05:23:44 »
Thank you for the design, I wish more full size keyboards were suited to enthusiasts.
I will skip this round and hope you'll include indicator lights instead of / inside the badge nd ISO hot-swap in a potential R2 though.

we will use two kinds of PCB (soldered and hot swap) (there will also be two kinds of plates). The soldered version can be compatible with large layout (recommended), but the hot swap version cannot be compatible with large layout, because the fixation of large keys and the easy disassembly of stablizer axis need to be considered, so hot swap can only be compatible with one kind of layout. (QMK&VIA)
What do you mean by "large layout"? I know this might be a language barrier but do you mean diverse layouts / adjustable layouts? because the size (large) won't change with different layout types.
For transparency, can't you just add a picture of possible layouts and lable them "hot swap PCB" and "soler PCB" ?
I know we ISO folks are a minority and most GB run and reach their numbers without us but I'd apprecciate it if we could at least see if there is an ISO capable hot-swappable version available without having to inerpret the small info given.

Speaking of given specs: Why, in Gods name, do we have to check geekhack / reddit for information on a board instead of just getting them presented on the vendors site? I know our hobby is niche but a little transparency goes a long way into making this easier, especially for people new to this hobby. This goes out to most keyboard vendors I know: Why are important information about a product so hidden you have to check third party sites?
I am truely shocked on the low standard we keep up with to pursue our hobby.

Enough ranting, this is a nice product, so GLWGB and I hope to see you in R2
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 November 2021, 05:32:59 by Shorle »

Offline kukkurovaca

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 20:00:49 »
Speaking of given specs: Why, in Gods name, do we have to check geekhack / reddit for information on a board instead of just getting them presented on the vendors site?

I count my blessings when the info is in the IC/GB here and not "you have to be in the discord for updates"