Author Topic: Ergodox Keyboard Kit  (Read 106282 times)

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
Re: Ergodox Keyboard Kit
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 15:22:47 »
This one is a great finds thread other is making stuff together.
Is there a point of having two?

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline sordna

« Reply #301 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 20:33:54 »
Is anyone using o-rings with the DSA keycaps?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #302 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 22:37:37 »
lubed ergo clears
SmallFry! <3

Offline satvikc

« Reply #303 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 10:32:36 »
Hey,

I am not sure what is the difference between classic and full hand keyboard cases. Also what are the difference between different types of switches.?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #304 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 13:50:27 »
Hey,

I am not sure what is the difference between classic and full hand keyboard cases. Also what are the difference between different types of switches.?

The full hand has a sort of area for the palmrest. You can get each case style with any switches, as far as I know.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Offline thisMoment

« Reply #305 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 01:01:22 »
So I've been reading about this keyboard and I'm interested in getting one.

It looks like a group buy on Massdrop just ended a few days ago. From the looks of things it seems like a long time inbetween these purchases become available.

Am I going to have to wait months for another group buy to start?

Alternatively, can I just buy the PCB and case somewhere? All of the other parts are easily obtainable and (besides the switches) pretty cheap.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #306 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 01:40:10 »
So I've been reading about this keyboard and I'm interested in getting one.

It looks like a group buy on Massdrop just ended a few days ago. From the looks of things it seems like a long time inbetween these purchases become available.

Am I going to have to wait months for another group buy to start?

Alternatively, can I just buy the PCB and case somewhere? All of the other parts are easily obtainable and (besides the switches) pretty cheap.

I don't think the GB's are that far apart, but then I've learned to be patient in the world of keyboards.

The design is open hardware, so if you don't mind playing more, you can get your own PCB's made up, or home-etch them yourself. Same thing with the case, shapeways files exist for a 3D printed version, I believe it was about $200 for the case from them (different than the massdrop case) I don't know if the guy who designed the case massdrop uses has released the files to the public domain, but you can ask him about it.

Perhaps the best way is to buy one from a GH'er or DT'er who doesn't want their kit or just wait for the next GB to happen.

Offline pocketdrummer

« Reply #307 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 15:08:38 »
I'm sure most of you are aware, but in case you aren't Massdrop is having another Ergodox group buy!

I already joined, but I had a few questions I hope someone here could answer. To my understanding there are holes cut for stabilizers, but 1 of the two 2x thumb keys aren't in the right place. I can't stand wobbly keys, so I'm going to have to find a way to get a stabilizer in there.

My question is: What kind of stabilizers do you use in the Ergodox, and what modifications do you need to make in order to get them into the case?

Offline Larken

« Reply #308 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 23:07:35 »
I'm sure most of you are aware, but in case you aren't Massdrop is having another Ergodox group buy!

I already joined, but I had a few questions I hope someone here could answer. To my understanding there are holes cut for stabilizers, but 1 of the two 2x thumb keys aren't in the right place. I can't stand wobbly keys, so I'm going to have to find a way to get a stabilizer in there.

My question is: What kind of stabilizers do you use in the Ergodox, and what modifications do you need to make in order to get them into the case?

none of the stabilizers will fit and hold. cherry stabs (both pcb and plate mounted) are too thick to even fit into the plate cutouts. Costar stabs on the other had, can fit into the cutout, but the acrylic plate is too thick for it to catch and hold on. It'll pop out unless you do something like superglue it in, which I wouldn't advise, as one cutout's position is wrong (the key with the wrong stab will be stuck and won't return after you press it down. and if the stab was superglued into the plate, you're basically screwed.)

2x keys are fine without stabs imo, but if you insist, your best best would probably be to find a way to build your ergodox plateless, and use pcb mounted stabs instead. (be aware that this might or might not work out in the end as I recall the designer of the pcb saying that the pcb cutouts were wrong on the pcb itself for that 2x key. if the stab wires still end up jamming each other, all that work would be for nothing).

tldr, forget about stabs unless you're prepared to experiment and probably fail alot. hope this helps.

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline tobr1an

« Reply #309 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 23:13:54 »
Any idea on how long will it take for them to assemble the whole thing?

Offline Pandora

« Reply #310 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 13:32:01 »
How do you join the group buy?  Is it just for the kits or can you order a pre-assembled keyboard?
Can you get standard qwerty key caps?

I checked out their website and I see for $50 they will assemble it for you but their customer
service said they don't deal in the actual keyboard parts i.e. the key caps.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #311 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 17:51:07 »
How do you join the group buy?  Is it just for the kits or can you order a pre-assembled keyboard?
Can you get standard qwerty key caps?

I checked out their website and I see for $50 they will assemble it for you but their customer
service said they don't deal in the actual keyboard parts i.e. the key caps.
The Group buy is for the DIY kit, but massdrop has recently added an assembly option, where they'll put it together for you. I don't know much about it though. There are several GH'ers (including myself) who are willing to assemble one for you.

To get in on the GB, you have to sign up for massdrop, then when it's available, commit to buying at your preferred price (thus far, it's gone to the best price tier every time) When the "drop" is done, they charge everyone and order everything, then ship it to you.

"QWERTY" isn't really a standard, so there really aren't any "standard qwerty key caps". Perhaps the most common layouts for qwerty keyboards sometimes have group buys for them, but the ergodox is fundamentally different. You can add many of the qwerty keycaps from places to it, but most of the modifiers and the thumb-key area will need either blank keys or special keys. There was a group buy for a keycap set (called retro DSA) a while ago that I have on my ergoDOX. I was able to order a lot of keys in the sizes I wanted. Also massdrop has had at least two group buys for blank pbt keycaps.

One issue is that the ergodox is fully programmable, You can put on it any layout you want, so having a group buy for non-blank keys isn't usually a workable idea, since everyone has their own layout that works for them. You can use a configuration tool on massdrop's website to make a new layout with up to ten layers. I plan to have layers for dvorak, qwerty (for when I have dvorak set in the software) and gaming on mine.

I think their assembly is only to assemble the kit. You will have to add your own keycaps.

Hope this helps!

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #312 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:57:34 »
Think I'm going to grab one and give up on ever seeing my Phantom PCB/Plate/Teensy.

$199 looks like a good deal to me especially given the case. Only odd step appears to be the butchering of a micro usb cable.

Anyone know how long it takes to get these kits?

[)amien
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2013, 21:29:50 by DamienG »

Offline pocketdrummer

« Reply #313 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 02:05:05 »

none of the stabilizers will fit and hold. cherry stabs (both pcb and plate mounted) are too thick to even fit into the plate cutouts. Costar stabs on the other had, can fit into the cutout, but the acrylic plate is too thick for it to catch and hold on. It'll pop out unless you do something like superglue it in, which I wouldn't advise, as one cutout's position is wrong (the key with the wrong stab will be stuck and won't return after you press it down. and if the stab was superglued into the plate, you're basically screwed.)

2x keys are fine without stabs imo, but if you insist, your best best would probably be to find a way to build your ergodox plateless, and use pcb mounted stabs instead. (be aware that this might or might not work out in the end as I recall the designer of the pcb saying that the pcb cutouts were wrong on the pcb itself for that 2x key. if the stab wires still end up jamming each other, all that work would be for nothing).

tldr, forget about stabs unless you're prepared to experiment and probably fail alot. hope this helps.

So, if I understand you correctly...
The stabilizers will go in, but cannot clip due to the thickness of the plate.
The hole for the 2x thumb key closest to the main typing cluster is not in the right place, but the hole for the next 2x thumb key is in the proper place.

So, we can't exactly fix the thickness issue easily, but can we fix the hole itself so that it would not cause the key to bind up? Would something like this work?

Here's what the original looks like in CAD:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/SpikeyHead00/Original_zps034087da.png

Here's with the hole aligned with the key in the same manner as the one next to it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/SpikeyHead00/FixedMaybe_zps819980a5.png

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #314 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 04:44:53 »
Anyone know whether the switches are plate mounted or pcb mounted? I already have a pile of plate mounted switches here...

[)amien

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #315 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 07:23:38 »
Anyone know whether the switches are plate mounted or pcb mounted? I already have a pile of plate mounted switches here...

[)amien

Both.

The kits come with a mounting plate as part of the case, but the PCB has holes for PCB mounting. I'll be making one later with pcb mount switches and no case. Massdrop gives you plate mount switches in the kit.

Offline Larken

« Reply #316 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 08:53:31 »
The stabilizers will go in, but cannot clip due to the thickness of the plate.

This only applies for costar stabs. Cherry stab, both plate mounted and pcb mounted, won't be able to fit into the cutout at all. As for your proposed solution, I wouldn't know if it will work. Best you talk to someone involved in the actual design.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline G.C.W.

• Formerly t!ng
« Reply #317 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 09:21:34 »
So can one use his plate mounted switches with the ergo dox? Or has one to buy/desolder PCB switches?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:09:57 »
So can one use his plate mounted switches with the ergo dox? Or has one to buy/desolder PCB switches?

Either will work: see my post.

[)amien

Both.

The kits come with a mounting plate as part of the case, but the PCB has holes for PCB mounting. I'll be making one later with pcb mount switches and no case. Massdrop gives you plate mount switches in the kit.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #319 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 17:44:57 »
Cool, thanks for that dorkvader. Will save myself $44 on switches.

[)amien

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #320 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 02:57:17 »
OK, I'm totally new to this (got my first mechanical like a week ago).

If I were to join this mass drop, what parts are actually missing for a working keyboard?

keycaps?  Anything else?

EDIT:  nm - looks like I can buy PBT keycaps with the kit - I just need a solder and some wire (found the instructions)
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 November 2013, 06:05:15 by kfmfe04 »
⌨White Blank HHKB P2 ⌨Filco TKL SA MXRed
Interests: ⌨AcidFire's Board ⌨Kinesis Advantage LF

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #321 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 07:54:02 »
OK, I'm totally new to this (got my first mechanical like a week ago).

If I were to join this mass drop, what parts are actually missing for a working keyboard?

keycaps?  Anything else?

EDIT:  nm - looks like I can buy PBT keycaps with the kit - I just need a solder and some wire (found the instructions)
you will need to program it as well. Here is a link to where you can do that
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox

Massdrop was very good about taking care of everything.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #322 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 16:39:31 »
If I don't join this MD GB, how long will I have to wait before the next ergodox drop? I want one, but I haven't tried my hand at soldering yet.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #323 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 16:43:57 »
If I don't join this MD GB, how long will I have to wait before the next ergodox drop? I want one, but I haven't tried my hand at soldering yet.

Usually 3-4 months at most.

That said, there's a good chance you can put together and ergoDOX as your first project, especially if you do through hole diodes.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #324 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 17:00:05 »
Thanks for the reply and your pm. I might take you up on it next time around. For now I need more income as my spending habits are getting out of hand. :)

Offline dook0

« Reply #325 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 11:55:04 »
FYI massdrop is currently doing a group buy

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
« Reply #326 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 14:12:46 »
Okey, so I have honestly not read this whole thread right now.. But an ergodox kit for 200 bucks.. ain't that an extremely good deal? I'm seriously considering buying it right now

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #327 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 18:13:46 »
Okey, so I have honestly not read this whole thread right now.. But an ergodox kit for 200 bucks.. ain't that an extremely good deal? I'm seriously considering buying it right now
I would say so, lots of people agree. There are usually a few hundred participants.

You can make it for less if you supply your own case, though. Or go caseless (it's possible)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #328 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 18:17:51 »
I would say so, lots of people agree. There are usually a few hundred participants.

You can make it for less if you supply your own case, though. Or go caseless (it's possible)

Just lay the PCB on a mat or towel and it won't damage the desk :p

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #329 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 14:26:21 »

It depends. If you're in the US, have plenty of time (Massdrop isn't exactly fast) and can't make a case by yourself, it's quite a good deal. It seems you're in Europe though, what czarek offers might be better then.

Offline Heisenbleurgh

• I like to press things.
« Reply #330 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 18:15:47 »
Can use regular keycaps on an ErgoDox or do they use proprietary heights?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #331 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 18:16:58 »

regular caps work, but traditional 104 sets won't cover everything

Offline Heisenbleurgh

« Reply #332 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 19:22:09 »

regular caps work, but traditional 104 sets won't cover everything

Thanks! I think I'll get keycaps off here then:
http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-blank-numpad-sets-1

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #333 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 23:23:45 »
I'm not sure what you mean by "proprietary heights" but you can put whatever keycaps you want to. Whatever feels best. I use a flat profile, but some prefer sculpted. I think one guy even put kinesis keycaps on his. If there's any proprietary height, that's it!

One of the good parts about DIY is that you can pretty much do whatever.

---
Keep in mind you'll need a lot of 1.5 unit keys or you'll have small gaps. A "normal" keyset only provides 9 (the 7 modifiers as well as tab and the key above enter) and the ergodox needs 12 (I think). I don't mind the gap.

Offline Heisenbleurgh

« Reply #334 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 00:28:18 »
I'm not sure what you mean by "proprietary heights" but you can put whatever keycaps you want to. Whatever feels best. I use a flat profile, but some prefer sculpted. I think one guy even put kinesis keycaps on his. If there's any proprietary height, that's it!

One of the good parts about DIY is that you can pretty much do whatever.

---
Keep in mind you'll need a lot of 1.5 unit keys or you'll have small gaps. A "normal" keyset only provides 9 (the 7 modifiers as well as tab and the key above enter) and the ergodox needs 12 (I think). I don't mind the gap.
What I meant was how regular mechanical keyboard keycaps have different heights per row and if using these on the ErgoDox feels natural or if there's some sort of "ErgoDox only" keycaps, but it seems it's not the case. Thanks!