geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

SSD capacity

<< < (6/15) > >>

phinix:

--- Quote from: Axiom_ on Tue, 21 November 2023, 05:05:33 ---
--- Quote from: phinix on Thu, 16 November 2023, 16:51:27 ---
--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Thu, 16 November 2023, 14:53:01 ---8tb , that's huge.  :eek:

--- End quote ---

Yeah, cool, isn't it? I'm impressed.
To compare, my first SSD I bought was OCZ Vertex 32GB, paid for it £230 as far as I remember. Now, for 8000GB I paid £280.
I have already run couple of full re-recordings of my collection of movies, games, mp3 music and tv shows. Collection of course grew in amount of data, by getting new games, mp3s, or higher res movies.
First was burning it all on 650MB CDs, I had maybe a thousand. Then, years later, when they released 4.7GB DVDs I burnt it all again, reducing amount of discs.
Then did it again when they released double layer 8.5 GB DVDs, reducing collection by half. Then, I moved it all to portable 2.5" USB HDDs (4TB).
Tonight I dumping all stuff from HDDs to this single 8TB SSD.

--- End quote ---

8TB SSD media drives? What a time to be alive. Silly question, but do you have a backup for that (some sort of raid, NAS or cloud service)?

I learnt my lesson the hard way; I used to store media on a 2TB HDD. It died after 3 years and I lost all the files.

--- End quote ---

At this moment I have a backup copy of it on 2x 4TB HDDs, but going to buy another 8TB SSD later :)
I need to have a backup fo it as this is huge and old collection, if I lose it I won't be able to gather this all again, some of 80s-90s movies might not be possible to find nowadays.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: Axiom_ on Tue, 21 November 2023, 05:05:33 ---I learnt my lesson the hard way; I used to store media on a 2TB HDD. It died after 3 years and I lost all the files.

--- End quote ---

Pretty much everyone learns that way.
If you're lucky it's a slow death and you can save stuff or happens before you acquire too much stuff.

Axiom_:

--- Quote from: phinix on Tue, 21 November 2023, 07:54:41 ---
--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Thu, 16 November 2023, 14:53:01 ---8tb , that's huge.  :eek:

--- End quote ---

To compare, my first SSD I bought was OCZ Vertex 32GB, paid for it £230 as far as I remember. Now, for 8000GB I paid £280.
I have already run couple of full re-recordings of my collection of movies, games, mp3 music and tv shows. Collection of course grew in amount of data, by getting new games, mp3s, or higher res movies.
First was burning it all on 650MB CDs, I had maybe a thousand. Then, years later, when they released 4.7GB DVDs I burnt it all again, reducing amount of discs.
Then did it again when they released double layer 8.5 GB DVDs, reducing collection by half. Then, I moved it all to portable 2.5" USB HDDs (4TB).

--- End quote ---

8TB SSD media drives? What a time to be alive. Silly question, but do you have a backup for that (some sort of raid, NAS or cloud service)?

I learnt my lesson the hard way; I used to store media on a 2TB HDD. It died after 3 years and I lost all the files.

--- End quote ---

At this moment I have a backup copy of it on 2x 4TB HDDs, but going to buy another 8TB SSD later :)
I need to have a backup fo it as this is huge and old collection, if I lose it I won't be able to gather this all again, some of 80s-90s movies might not be possible to find nowadays.

--- End quote ---

2 8TB drives for a raid setup perhaps? :cool:

You could consider building or buying a NAS and putting your old HDDs to use in it.
I personally use Synology ones and they come with a thing called Video Station that lets you stream videos directly from your NAS to most devices (PC, tablet, TV). I think that feature will be tremendously useful for your situation.

Considering how priceless the collection is to you, I'd totally recommend making a backup to both a NAS and a low cost archiving service like Amazon Glacier (supported natively by Synology NAS).

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Tue, 21 November 2023, 16:41:26 ---
--- Quote from: Axiom_ on Tue, 21 November 2023, 05:05:33 ---I learnt my lesson the hard way; I used to store media on a 2TB HDD. It died after 3 years and I lost all the files.

--- End quote ---

If you're lucky it's a slow death and you can save stuff or happens before you acquire too much stuff.

--- End quote ---

Sad but true. Mine failed spectacularly, corrupting all the files on it as it made all sorts of clicks and clangs.
I decided to take data backup more seriously and went down the NAS + cloud path after that. I'll never not use a NAS.

phinix:

--- Quote from: Axiom_ on Fri, 24 November 2023, 08:05:42 ---
--- Quote from: phinix on Tue, 21 November 2023, 07:54:41 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

You could consider building or buying a NAS and putting your old HDDs to use in it.
I personally use Synology ones and they come with a thing called Video Station that lets you stream videos directly from your NAS to most devices (PC, tablet, TV). I think that feature will be tremendously useful for your situation.

Considering how priceless the collection is to you, I'd totally recommend making a backup to both a NAS and a low cost archiving service like Amazon Glacier (supported natively by Synology NAS).

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Tue, 21 November 2023, 16:41:26 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Sad but true. Mine failed spectacularly, corrupting all the files on it as it made all sorts of clicks and clangs.
I decided to take data backup more seriously and went down the NAS + cloud path after that. I'll never not use a NAS.

--- End quote ---

No, I'm not doing raid as its external drive, I use it on usb cable to multiple computers. No need for a raid.

Axiom_:

--- Quote from: phinix on Fri, 24 November 2023, 08:32:46 ---
--- Quote from: Axiom_ on Fri, 24 November 2023, 08:05:42 ---

--- End quote ---

No, I'm not doing raid as its external drive, I use it on usb cable to multiple computers. No need for a raid.

--- End quote ---

I see, you're using it as a portable drive. That'll work nicely in conjunction with your backups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version