geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

SSD capacity

<< < (8/15) > >>

noisyturtle:
I need an external 2Tb drive to hold all my movies when I travel, or just want to watch in the living room.

Currently eyeing the Samsung T9 as it seems to have the highest read speed. Worried about longevity though, Samsung done me dirty in the past.

phinix:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Tue, 12 March 2024, 23:08:14 ---I need an external 2Tb drive to hold all my movies when I travel, or just want to watch in the living room.

Currently eyeing the Samsung T9 as it seems to have the highest read speed. Worried about longevity though, Samsung done me dirty in the past.

--- End quote ---

If price is a concern, maybe look at T7, should be 30% cheaper and I personally don't see real use speed difference - I mean it won't be noticeable when reading movie files.
Crucial X9 2TB is even cheaper.

ArchDill:
I am terrified of losing data so I usually stick with 1-2tb and then just buy more. Is doing it like that actually more efficient? Probably not.

phinix:

--- Quote from: ArchDill on Thu, 14 March 2024, 11:43:56 ---I am terrified of losing data so I usually stick with 1-2tb and then just buy more. Is doing it like that actually more efficient? Probably not.

--- End quote ---

Well, it is scary, its good to have a copy of everything, I used to have 2-3 copies of everything back in 90s :)

Guess what, I bought 8TB SSD recently, copied over all my movies and then drive died after few uses, like 2 weeks after it showed on Windows it needs formatting, just like that...
I lost everything on it, but had a copy on regular drive, so copied over again after formatting. It lost it again after a day. So it was faulty, I sent back to shop and got replacement.
Having a copy saved me. So if you have around 2TB of data, then yeah, I would have a copy of it on at least another one.

ArchDill:
Dang, I am so sorry. That is a lot to lose!

--- Quote from: phinix on Thu, 14 March 2024, 13:53:42 ---
--- Quote from: ArchDill on Thu, 14 March 2024, 11:43:56 ---I am terrified of losing data so I usually stick with 1-2tb and then just buy more. Is doing it like that actually more efficient? Probably not.

--- End quote ---

Well, it is scary, its good to have a copy of everything, I used to have 2-3 copies of everything back in 90s :)

Guess what, I bought 8TB SSD recently, copied over all my movies and then drive died after few uses, like 2 weeks after it showed on Windows it needs formatting, just like that...
I lost everything on it, but had a copy on regular drive, so copied over again after formatting. It lost it again after a day. So it was faulty, I sent back to shop and got replacement.
Having a copy saved me. So if you have around 2TB of data, then yeah, I would have a copy of it on at least another one.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version