Author Topic: Is there anything new or changed since 2010?  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Aardwolf

Is there anything new or changed since 2010?
« on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 16:41:18 »
Hi,

I got a Filco Majestouch with cherry brown keys in 2010. It's used heavily daily, and it still looks and works like new! Simply nothing broke.

Things I like about it:
-N key rollover
-The fact that it's full size, with numpad
-The cherry brown switches
-Linux support, which is of course logical (but some have windows-only features)
-Small bezel, so its footprint is not bigger than needed for full size
-feels sturdy, no tacky plastic or anything

Things I dislike about it:
-that it uses blue leds for caps/scroll/num lock. I dislike blue leds. Red is best
-that those leds or not visible when I'm leaning backward in a chair, they get hidden behind the num pad keys. I want to see their state.
-the N key rollover only works with PS/2 (which is great and fortunately supported by motherboards again these days), but not with USB. AFAIK more modern keyboards circumvent the max-6-key over USB somehow.
-the keys are sunk down (like most keyboards are of course) so not always easy to clean

Things I could find useful that this one doesn't have:
-lighting, but only if not too bright, just to see keys in the dark, not to blind eyes (red is best for night sight)
-some customization options, like swapping or disabling certain keys, but only if linux compatible, such as dip switches
-I could tolerate volume controls, but definitely not more multimedia controls than that
-textured swappable keycaps for WASD could be nice to try
-replacing the windows logo with something else could be fun
-more modern USB protocol support for N key rollover (if it works in linux at least)
-easier to clean (non sunken keys)

Things I would dislike other than those mentioned above:
-ugly fonts on keycaps, including sci-fi themed gaming fonts
-other non functional ways to look gamer-like such as fancy diagonally angled shapes (and this even though I love sci-fi and games! there are so many that work in wine or linux steam)
-too much multimedia controls, especially if they manage to replace function keys or take up room
-lack of all 102+ keys in regular full size keyboard positions: F keys, arrows, ins/home/pgup, numpad, ...
-lack of windows key, I do use that as meta key in linux
-any proprietary protocols such as MS Windows software that can do special things with the keyboard
-non standard shapes, such as split into two halves
-feeling cheap, light, plasticy
-non-tactile keys
-being prone to break after a while, double registering keys, squeeking, etc...
-glossy finish

Of course that's all just personal preference, I understand that others like or benefit from other things :)

I tried searching around for reviews on this forum and on the internet in general, so many keyboards mentioned here are not full size however! That makes it hard to find something

My questions are as follows:

Even though this keyboard still works great, so it's not that likely I'll change it, I am curious what's new and improved in the world of mechanical keyboards over those 7 years?

Do you have any reccomendations for where I could look for keyboards given my preferences?

Are there any nice advancments I didn't list that happened, or interesting new companies selling or making keyboards?

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2018, 17:00:20 by Aardwolf »

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: Is there anything new or changed since 2010?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 17:52:29 »
These days, we've got

1. More switch variants. Some switches surpass Cherry MX
2. More fully programmable keyboards
3. More lighting options in switch and underglow
4. More "creative" case styles and materials used to make them
5. Different Keysets
6. More alternative keyboard layout supports
7. Different USB ports (mini b, micro, c)
8. Different plate materials

All in all....how keyboards are used haven't changed too much.

Offline Aardwolf

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 17:57:42 »
Which are some switches that surpass cherry mx?

What does fully programmable mean and does that require ms windows specific drivers?

What is a good link to a website or company selling interesting full size keyboards or for custimizing them?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 18:03:13 »
I have only been into mechs since 2013, and not really in earnest until 2016, so I don't have a good baseline for your experience. I haven't used a Filco, but I used a Rosewill RK9000 for a few years, which is a Filco clone. It's decent, but definitely not as well built as some of my other keyboards.

You won't find many (if any) full size customs around here, so you'll have to stick to retail boards unless you want to get a TKL + numpad (like MIRA). I'm not sure how the quality compares to Filco, but WASD keyboards have some customization options. I noticed just yesterday that you can order them built with custom switches like Zealios and MOD switches (normally everything is Cherry or occasionally Outemu or Gateron), and you can save a couple bucks by ordering a barebones model if you already have keycaps.

In terms of build quality, I think CoolerMaster makes some of the best retail non-gamery looking gaming keyboards.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Aardwolf

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 18:15:34 »
You won't find many (if any) full size customs around here

Really? Aw that's dissapointing. I remember in 2010 the landscape here felt different: there was filco majestouch full size, wasd keyboards full size too, I remember the name ducky which was also full size, and of course the IBM model M was mentioned a lot, the das keyboard (which did have some non full size variants but main thing was full size again), and also being discussed were some actual cherry keyboards (not just switches, but entire keyboard often including touchpad mouse and card reader). Then there was just HHKB as one of the few non full size keyboards discussed here. At least that's how I remember it after 8 years through the lens of what I saw with my interests back then. It must match reality somewhat at least, I clearly remember full size mechanical keyboards were at least the main topic back then, it was easy to read the forum and come up with filco majestouch as a great fit for me back then :)

EDIT: Oh I notice you did say custom! I guess custom was not yet as common in 2010 :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2018, 18:17:35 by Aardwolf »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 18:55:09 »
5. Different Keysets
Not just different looking keysets or differently shaped, but you could also get cheap double-shot moulded keys for backlighting or several sets of thick-walled PBT in Cherry profile with side-printed or dye-sublimated legends etc.
Not all thick-walled Cherry-profile sets will fit the Filco, however but many will.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 19:01:10 »
You won't find many (if any) full size customs around here

Really? Aw that's dissapointing. I remember in 2010 the landscape here felt different: there was filco majestouch full size, wasd keyboards full size too, I remember the name ducky which was also full size, and of course the IBM model M was mentioned a lot, the das keyboard (which did have some non full size variants but main thing was full size again), and also being discussed were some actual cherry keyboards (not just switches, but entire keyboard often including touchpad mouse and card reader). Then there was just HHKB as one of the few non full size keyboards discussed here. At least that's how I remember it after 8 years through the lens of what I saw with my interests back then. It must match reality somewhat at least, I clearly remember full size mechanical keyboards were at least the main topic back then, it was easy to read the forum and come up with filco majestouch as a great fit for me back then :)

EDIT: Oh I notice you did say custom! I guess custom was not yet as common in 2010 :)

Yeah the hobby has changed drastically over the past few years.  Not too many people use full-size anymore, but there are still plenty of options.  Check out mechanicalkeyboards.com or wasdkeyboards.com, they both have a wide selection of keyboards to fit most cases.  Also keyboardco.com still carries quite a large selection as well.  And in regards to cherry, there are still a lot of people who collect vintage cherry keyboards.  There are even custom pcb's now that you can convert a cherry MY keyboard to MX.  Id suggest just poke around the forum a decent bit, and I'm sure you'll get more info than you could ever need.  :)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 19:04:05 »
Oh I notice you did say custom! I guess custom was not yet as common in 2010 :)

Yeah customs have become very common over the past few years. I was out of the game from mid 2013 to late 2017 and things changed so much in that time, I have been doing nothing but catching up and looking at so many things I want to make and get.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 20:33:00 »
Hi,

I got a Filco Majestouch with cherry brown keys in 2010. It's used heavily daily, and it still looks and works like new! Simply nothing broke.

-cut-

Even though this keyboard still works great, so it's not that likely I'll change it, I am curious what's new and improved in the world of mechanical keyboards over those 7 years?

Do you have any reccomendations for where I could look for keyboards given my preferences?

Are there any nice advancments I didn't list that happened, or interesting new companies selling or making keyboards?

You could just just spruce up what you have into something awesome, you already know it to be a solid keyboard.

Buy an aluminum case for it, this will add stability and heft. The case will probably prop the keycaps up a bit more, some new, taller caps would also change that. As for the LEDs, the aftermarket case can be modded so the LED sticks up more, and you can easily replace the leds with taller ones of  different color (may need to change a resistor).  A custom controller may not give full N-key but allows for customizing keys (even in Linux). Some new keycaps will freshen it and depending on caps could stick up more (different profile).

When done you end up with what amounts to a full custom.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 21:45:26 »
To answer the question about improved switches, I'm most excited about the Kailh box switches. The "box" of the name seals around the stem to keep dust out, and they use a unique click bar in their click switches to make the sound. I really like the improvements.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 22:10:14 »
Which are some switches that surpass cherry mx?

What does fully programmable mean and does that require ms windows specific drivers?

What is a good link to a website or company selling interesting full size keyboards or for custimizing them?

1. I'm very big on tactility and IMO there are several switches out right now that beat even MX Clear. I would define better by having more tactility amongst other things. For switches that have an MX stem,  Zeal, Halo Clears, Kailh Browns, Zandas, and Holy Pandas

2. Fully programmable generally means you can make any switch perform any action you want. You can do macros and even toggle arrow keys etc etc. Usually this is contained within the firmware of a keyboard and will follow it computer to computer without regard to OS.

3. There are quite a few these days, but I'd look at mechanicalkeyboards.com for some off the shelf boards. If you want custom you're going to have to look at Kbdfans or wait till a Group Buy to occur.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 22:30:34 »
Matias switches surpass cherry mx switches. If you like tactile but quiet, you should give the Matias Quiet Pro or the Matias Quiet Mini a go. Remember to make sure you get the PC version if you are a PC user, and Mac version if you are a mac user. Linux users could use whatever.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 01:30:31 »
Well Matias is just an Alps clone.  Alps surpasssing Cherry MX isn't something new.  That's a 30 year old story.

Even on the MX clone front though there have been some interesting developments.  Kailh (sometimes in conjunction with Input Club) seems to really be innovating.  In addition to their box switches already mentioned I have honestly been really impressed with the Halo/Hako line.  I never knew before I got my Trues that I could like a silent switch with minimal traditional tactility so much, but they just feel so damn good.

"Speed" switches are also a big thing these days...if you're in to that.