geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Outdoor Home Security Cameras

(1/4) > >>

phinix:
I'm looking for a Outdoor Home Security Camera that will meet few requirements.
I've read some reviews but wanted to see what you guys have/use yourselves.

I need wifi outdoor cam, 1080p, with night vision, free-cloud storage.

Wifi, cause I would just pull power cable through my house wall.
1080p as I read that it gives enough details, plus won't be data heavy. Unless 720p is also enough.
Night vision - obviously I want to watch all the foxes that visit my house at night:)
Cloud storage - I dont want to have hub or other storage boxes in my house.
I've read that if you just need few days of 24hrs recordings, there are some cloud services that are free - trying to find one.
If its not free, then any paid but something cheaper than Nest £10/month.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

yui:

--- Quote from: phinix on Mon, 12 July 2021, 02:48:31 ---I'm looking for a Outdoor Home Security Camera that will meet few requirements.
I've read some reviews but wanted to see what you guys have/use yourselves.

I need wifi outdoor cam, 1080p, with night vision, free-cloud storage.

Wifi, cause I would just pull power cable through my house wall.
1080p as I read that it gives enough details, plus won't be data heavy. Unless 720p is also enough.
Night vision - obviously I want to watch all the foxes that visit my house at night:)
Cloud storage - I dont want to have hub or other storage boxes in my house.
I've read that if you just need few days of 24hrs recordings, there are some cloud services that are free - trying to find one.
If its not free, then any paid but something cheaper than Nest £10/month.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

--- End quote ---
how much diy are you willing to put into it? free video cloud storage and personal diffusion does not exists, but if you do not care about no one else seeing it youtube and twitch could work, i have no experience with the cameras though, i guess that resolution depends on the distance and optical of the camera, if you try to see something 30cm from the camera 480p should be overkill. and with wifi you would not need a hub either way, just a storage server, although making one can be expensive, and if web facing rather dangerous.
just sharing my thoughts on your project.

Darthbaggins:
I would go the route of using cloud and a home based data storage/personal cloud - just so you have backups of the feeds you plan on covering. 

phinix:
Well, I want to get some simple and cheap solution, nothing that I would need to build or buy extra hardware for storage etc

I'm leaning towards Nest camera now as apparently cam itself is around £140, then there is a subscription for £5/month that only records events.
I would be able to watch it live 24/7 on wesbite portal and get recorded only events, which would be any movements on my driveway, so I think it sounds ok.
Dont really need to record 24/7 - I thought about it and events should cover my needs.
Plus its just a matter of drilling a hole in my house to route power cable and accessing home wifi.

yui:
Just so you do not get bit in the ass, check if your wifi reaches where you plan to put your camera(s) just so you do not spend extra on wifi enabled cameras if you can't use it (depending on what's in the wall wifi can have trouble getting through it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version