Author Topic: Is datamancer still in business  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Nonuke

Is datamancer still in business
« on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 17:45:43 »
Hi all, I am writing in here since I’m not sure where it should be posted.

I’ve been on a search for a nice case for a preonic case, and ended up on datamancer.com, where they offer a hardwood case. I’ve placed my order months ago, and other to the charge for the order, and an email confirming it, I’ve never heard from them again.

I’ve written to them, by email and from the web page, without any luck. I am not sure if they are still in business, and I think I may not be the only person buying from an inactive vendor. Anyone has info about what is going on with datamancer?

Shall I consider myself officially scammed?

Thanks for any inputs on this topic
E la nave va...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Is datamancer still in business
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 18:37:55 »
Unfortunately, Datamancer committed suicide several years ago.

Keyboard enthusiasts generally either loved or hated his work, but anybody would have to admit that it was interesting and artistic.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 18:58:38 »
I don't know any of the backstory, but I ordered one of the walnut 60% cases from datamancer.com on June 6 of last year and it shipped almost exactly a month later, on July 7. I received an automated order receipt on the day of my order and there was no communication after that until I got an "It just shipped!" email from PayPal. I don't know how representative that is of typical wait times.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 00:05:25 »
Someone is still making things under his name. Dunno if it was backstock, or they are actually using his tools and style. Maybe a relative?
His passing was a big hit. He did amazing work.

Offline Nonuke

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 00:10:32 »
I don't know any of the backstory, but I ordered one of the walnut 60% cases from datamancer.com on June 6 of last year and it shipped almost exactly a month later, on July 7. I received an automated order receipt on the day of my order and there was no communication after that until I got an "It just shipped!" email from PayPal. I don't know how representative that is of typical wait times.

I still have hope the case will ship one day. But it’s really frustrating to have no communication from whoever is running shop today.
E la nave va...

Offline Nonuke

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 10:25:30 »
Unfortunately, Datamancer committed suicide several years ago.

Keyboard enthusiasts generally either loved or hated his work, but anybody would have to admit that it was interesting and artistic.

Yes, I’ve read it before. Bad vibe, really sorry for him. But it seems the shop was still shipping until last year. Right now it is radio silence.
E la nave va...

Offline Nonuke

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 08:15:57 »
Hi,
 updating the community to avoid leaving misinformation around.  I've received my ordered case. It is really an artisan work. I mean, it took a long time and the Datamancer team was MIA for a long time, but I am pretty happy with the investment. It is a real artisan work - I love the case.

Here the keyboard itself for the record:
E la nave va...