geekhack Community > Off Topic

Pig feed industry exposed

(1/4) > >>

tp4tissue:
User, GMFmusik (blue collar worker, part time rapper),  recently gone viral, after posting videos of his workplace where they make pig feed.

They take the moldy food waste (everyday supermarket toss), boxes, plastic wrapper and all,  Everything goes into the grinder, (too expensive to pre-sort),  they do a shake stage to get out (some) of the larger pieces,   Then it all gets COOKED in an oven,  then off to the pigs.

So..... now plastic, y'all know is an endocrine disrupter, and microplastics get into cells, and there is research that these chemicals can cross the placenta (affect unborn).

Surely Gekha is aware that plastic burny smell = no bueno, 3dprinting and such,  welllllll.

Pork fans, rejoice, because they be eatn' that.

Similar practice is employed to produce chicken and cow feed.

JP:
Yikes, this is not good at all. I don't see this as a standard practice across the industry and not as a primary source of feed. Likely this garbage is a more a supplement to offset the costs of more expensive commodities like grain. Also a prudent and responsible farmer wouldn't risk their good breeding stock by feeding their pigs this cheap garbage. Local farm where I grew up had their own mill, grew as much corn as possible, made their own feed, and trucked it short distances to various locations where their pigs are raised. The feed is quite heavy and pigs eat tons of corn so large operations are always close to corn and local mills that produce feed. The waste from the pigs is also spread on these fields as fertilizer.

tp4tissue:
So, they do this because it's cheaper, if they had to break open all the packaging, they would NEVER get it done.

And looking at their SCALE,  it's industrial, which means it must be LEGAL.

You have Financial motivation, AND Legality.

Now you ask Pig feed producer # 2,   how do you compete with Pig feed producer #1 that's allowed to use unsorted Garbage.

Well, now pig feed producer # 2 will start using garbage. 

Then This becomes standard industry practice.     Bad money drives out Good money.

And on the consumer end, How do you know which pig you're getting, plastic pollution pig or corn pig.  Because differentiation is virtually impossible,  No distinction can be marketed/ made.

noisyturtle:
That's why I pay more for higher quality meat that comes from healthier and better treated animals. Happy to pay more to not eat that caged and abused sad meat from the grocery store.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Fri, 24 September 2021, 10:59:42 ---That's why I pay more for higher quality meat that comes from healthier and better treated animals. Happy to pay more to not eat that caged and abused sad meat from the grocery store.

--- End quote ---

90% of meat in the states is factory farmed.  And they're not distinguishable on your end, so producers LIE.

Even the (grass fed) free range stuff is mainly BS,  and they go to the SAME slaughter processors. So there's cross contamination.

There is no such thing as _Happy meat_ sold anywhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version