Author Topic: Do all north facing switches interfere with Cherry profile keycaps?  (Read 6266 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

I have recently purchased 5 sets of keycaps.  Some of these are to revamp old builds and others are for new ones in the near future.  I actually prefer OEM keycaps vs Cherry profile.  I recently learned of the interference the switch housing causes with keystroke when using Cherry.  Are there any tactile switches that don't have this issue, or is this a universal issue?  Almost all of my boards have north facing switches (probably because I've come to favor RGB).  The issue is that there is not that much offered in OEM profile as far as keycaps.  I'm happy with Mistel keycaps and can use those.  I guess I can use the AKKO caps on a Leopold build, but Leopold keycaps are already perfect so I have no reason to replace them.  I am kind of annoyed.  I may have to return these caps and purchases more Mistel or Vortex keycaps. 

* So there is the GMK Pro which has south facing switches and RGB.  I really try to keep the cost down though and purchase used Leopolds and Pok3rs for 50 bucks. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 December 2021, 16:42:02 by jcoffin1981 »
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Leopard223

Re: Do all north facing switches interfere with Cherry profile keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 18:10:01 »
You would want to look for switches that has a protruding stem, among the list are the Boba U4T, Glorious Panda, Tecsee Purple Panda, Moyu Black, basically any switch that resembles the Holy Panda switch.
Some linear switches might also have this character but linear switches aren't my interest so I wouldn't know, Maybe Tecsee Carrots, I could however say that NK Creams, Durock L series and Durock POMs does not solve this issue.
Do note that some of the switches aren't flush with the housing when pressed but also don't prevent this issue, NK Creams have the stem protrude slightly but still have the interference, so make sure before making the purchase.

There's also the new Kailh BOX switches that were designed to avoid that issue, the new BOX Cream is one example.