geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

What Antivirus do you use?

<< < (19/19)

granola bar enthusiast:
i currently use Norton just for the reason that i have been using it since i got too active with computers, if I'm being fully honest it's a pretty bad antivirus and is constantly giving me ad's and saying "You have 2.38 GB of wasted space on your computer! Lets fix that up for only 15 USD a month!" or stuff like that trying to get me to buy more of their products.

mohawk1367:
Just Windows Defender, personally.

ArchDill:
When I got my first windows computer, a friend gave me the best advice... just don't click on links that you don't know what they are. I have lived by that rule and have never had a virus.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: ArchDill on Fri, 30 September 2022, 10:24:14 ---When I got my first windows computer, a friend gave me the best advice... just don't click on links that you don't know what they are. I have lived by that rule and have never had a virus.

--- End quote ---
That you know of.
The advice you got was true way back when, for viruses, it's not true today and hasn't been for a looong time due to other forms of malware which is far more common.

Today's bare minimum is to stay away from shady sites, use Defender, do a scan with something like Malware Bytes on occasion and run an ad blocker, Ublock preferred. Better still, get rid of Chrome and not use Edge, preferably while also using a tool to knock out Windows telemetry.

I would recommend you read through the rest of this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version