geekhack Community > Off Topic

Mind Games

<< < (2/4) > >>

wellington1869:

--- Quote from: secularzarathustra;11948 ---About three weeks ago I switched to dvorak. I've worked up to about 65 wpm; however when I try go faster and just type without thinking about it I fall apart and have to start slowly and work my speed up again. My former qwerty speed was 85-90 wpm; close to that point my muscle memory seems to regress.
--- End quote ---

I top out around 95wpm on qwerty too.  The prospect of building muscle memory on a whole 'nother layout tho is too daunting for me. It takes a while and unlike languages I dont know if one can have two "mother tongues" for typing.

itlnstln:
I have enough trouble with QWERTY right now, let alone learn another layout.  That, and I work on others machines from time to time, so I would hate to have to switch back and forth.  I also don't know if I would benefit too much from a layout change, anyway.  I don't write a lot of long prose or dictation, and with coding, I constantly stop to think about what I am going to write, so my typing speed is not that big of a factor in time spent on working on things.  Although, backspacing due to poor touch-typing skills is. :)

wellington1869:

--- Quote ---
and I work on others machines from time to time, so I would hate to have to switch back and forth

--- End quote ---

me too

secularzarathustra:

--- Quote from: wellington1869;11955 ---I top out around 95wpm on qwerty too.  The prospect of building muscle memory on a whole 'nother layout tho is too daunting for me. It takes a while and unlike languages I dont know if one can have two "mother tongues" for typing.
--- End quote ---

It really doesn't take that long when you think about how much time you actually spend at the keyboard.

I think you're right though, two mother tongues seems impossible!

On other machines, I just swap the layout...just don't look down.

And if you 'wanna switch', you'll probable want to give it up every day of slowly pecking and backspacing and backspacing some more for the first week or two :)

bigpook:
It ruins my  flow when I look down at the keyboard. I focus on the screen and on those days where I am not hitting on all cylinders I tend to make lots of use of the backspace key.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version