geekhack Community > Off Topic

Bought my first mac (tho i'm still a PC)

(1/8) > >>

wellington1869:
So I bought my first mac - an ibook g4, 1.3ghz, 1.25mb, with leopard installed. Got a *great* deal on it via craigslist, couldnt pass it up. (Just over $200!)

(Now dont get me wrong, I'm a PC and always will be ;) We're all creatures of our first language. But I want to become a bit more bilingual so thought owning one is the way to go. Nothing like cultural immersion to pick up a new language.

Never really used a mac before in any substantive way.  Any advice? (Its a bit like going to a foreign country, lol).

wellington1869:
I think the first thing I have to remember is to NOT rub it on my bum, under any circumstances.

lam47:
OSX is great and pretty straight forward. The software package they come with is also very good for day to day use.
Keep an eye on the case though as they do like to overheat and crack. I would recommend a proper stand or at least some rubber feet that are taller than the 1mm it has on it.
Amazing price! Will make a nice internet companion.

iMav:
Of course, the beauty of the PC is that you can become proficient with many OS's (or "languages" as you put it) without additional hardware.  Remember, PC does NOT equal the nasty.  :)

That being said, I really like OS X.  I had a 12" iBook (last gen, 1.33Ghz G4, 1.5GB ram) that I liked quite a bit.  But the allure of the intel Macs, being able to virtualize all my favorite OS's AND have OS X available was too much for me.

wellington1869:

--- Quote from: lam47;24823 ---Keep an eye on the case though as they do like to overheat and crack. I would recommend a proper stand or at least some rubber feet that are taller than the 1mm it has on it.
--- End quote ---

hey lammy, thanks for the tip. I have cooler pad with fans for my dell, I think i'll pick up a separate one for the ibook.
(I've seen a lot of mac hardware failures in the office at work, along these lines. The overheating thing especially, and a variety of warped cases.)

--- Quote ---
Amazing price! Will make a nice internet companion.
--- End quote ---

yes, what *luck*, I couldnt believe I snagged it. The going rates for this on ebay are $350-$400.
Yes, this is basically my 'netbook' :D I'm planning to use it that way, trips to the library/starbucks and web browsing. It does have a great form factor (12" and fairly thin). I might have to pick up a new battery for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version