geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?

<< < (3/550) > >>

rowdy:

--- Quote from: esko997 on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:10:04 ---
--- Quote from: esko997 on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:08:48 ---
--- Quote from: hashbaz on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:06:43 ---Redhat at work, Windows at home.  If I did serious coding at home I would definitely have a linux install, but for browsing and chatting Windows does just fine.  In the past I've done dual boot setups with Ubuntu and Fedora at home and ended up never booting them.

--- End quote ---

Do you like Redhat? I could never get into it -- the way everything is organized in the file system has always really bugged me.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: rowdy on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:08:20 ---Ubuntu at the moment, but all new servers are created with CentOS and I'm trying to find excuses (and time0 to upgrade Ubuntu servers to CentOS.

--- End quote ---

Do you like CentOS. Have a few servers at work that use it but it drives me up a wall.

--- End quote ---

So far, yes.

So far I have one physical server running it, mostly just a file server.  And one VM with a few dev tools that I use for about 25% of my programming work.

What is it that drives you up the wall with CentOS?

jdcarpe:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my droplet on DigitalOcean is Ubuntu Server. :D

I tried CentOS, but again the familiarity pulled me back.

hashbaz:

--- Quote from: esko997 on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:08:48 ---Do you like Redhat? I could never get into it -- the way everything is organized in the file system has always really bugged me.
--- End quote ---

I'm ambivalent I suppose, as an end-user.  The systems folks manage everything so I can't speak to that end of it.  Mainly I love the vim + terminal workflow and tiling window managers, which will work on any distro.

esko997:

--- Quote from: rowdy on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:13:05 ---
--- Quote from: esko997 on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:10:04 ---
--- Quote from: esko997 on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:08:48 ---
--- Quote from: hashbaz on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:06:43 ---Redhat at work, Windows at home.  If I did serious coding at home I would definitely have a linux install, but for browsing and chatting Windows does just fine.  In the past I've done dual boot setups with Ubuntu and Fedora at home and ended up never booting them.

--- End quote ---

Do you like Redhat? I could never get into it -- the way everything is organized in the file system has always really bugged me.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: rowdy on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:08:20 ---Ubuntu at the moment, but all new servers are created with CentOS and I'm trying to find excuses (and time0 to upgrade Ubuntu servers to CentOS.

--- End quote ---

Do you like CentOS. Have a few servers at work that use it but it drives me up a wall.

--- End quote ---

So far, yes.

So far I have one physical server running it, mostly just a file server.  And one VM with a few dev tools that I use for about 25% of my programming work.

What is it that drives you up the wall with CentOS?

--- End quote ---

One example of my annoyence with CentOS is how they handle the network interfaces. I really like the /etc/network/interfaces file in Ubuntu. Everything in one place. In CentOS you have to go into that net-cfg folder, I think, something like that (network-scripts maybe?) and edit the different IPs, netmasks, etc for the interfaces. You then have to go to a seperate file and edit the gateway, broadcast. Like, I just dont understand why they did that, why not consolidate it all in one file? Its things like that that irritate me about CentOS. Just like, the whole file layout/hierarchy.

swill:

--- Quote from: Vibex on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:12:13 ---
--- Quote from: esko997 on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:07:25 ---
--- Quote from: Vibex on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:01:49 ---I use funtoo, and it was my first linux distro. I'm planning on trying arch some time soon on one of my spare computers though.

--- End quote ---

Been meaning to try funtoo, whats the longest you've had an install for?

--- End quote ---
I only just jumped on the linux bandwagon, so I've been using it for about 4 months. Haven't really run into any problems. It's definitely worth a try, but if you don't have the time/patience to compile everything, then it's a horrible choice.

--- End quote ---

What distro are you using that you have to compile everything? Most linux distro have better package managers than "modern" OSes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version